Big Game Season 2018

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BDinPutnam, Sep 29, 2018.

1. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .308 Win Monthly Shot Winner

Inspired by @Kent Goldings threads on Squirrel Seasons over the years.

Archery opens Monday I believe?

Who's going out in NY, where, when, for what, and how?

I'm curious about the course of the season and differences between Southern Zone (where I am) and Northern, and what everyone is into.

I am a late starter to hunting on a regular basis, and big game specifically, but not to shooting. My father in law and I went out for rifle last year in Michigan (we saw nothing shootable but I knew I was hooked). We'll have the inlaws here from opening weekend crossbow through at least end of Thanksgiving weekend. I still have some work to do here but Tom and I will be out in this; a miss on the xbow tag for me will probably equal me freezing my ass off here during late muzzle looking for does.

20180929_152021.jpg

Acer-m14, GOYABEAN and Blimey like this.
  2. Blimey

Blimey 6.5 Creedmoor

This is my fourth season hunting, and fourth bow. Will be out first evening if it's not raining on Monday, then out for work so won't get to it until mid-Oct. Got an xbow last year and will break that out come mid-november unless I get two deer by then.

Will be using rage hypodermics ;)

BDinPutnam likes this.
  3. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

Thanks for starting this. I was going to last week and got busy. I'm "weaponed up" this year and plan to do bow, regular, and crossbow this year. I'm sure I'm not completely ready for bow but I'm going to do my best. I've been watching YouTube vids at work all last week and it's really got me geared up. I'm sure I'll see nothing.

Also hunting my own property mostly this year. Really hoping for something. Skunked my 1st two seasons.
    20180919_191033.jpg

Blimey and BDinPutnam like this.
  4. BDinPutnam

Well where could those've come from? :) Hope to see positive results. I have some NAPs for the xbow; I really need to get out and start laying out some ranging and testing this weekend or next from the actual shooting position.

They disappear quick, don't they. I've been waiting to get out on some of these for the first five years we've been on the property. Trying to figure what I'll do if the big doe walks by while I'm still waiting for the big buck in crossbow season. I'm a lot more comfortable with firearm than bow so trying to get in as much practice under real world conditions as I can soon.

5. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

I’m heading up tomorrow morning. I’ll be in my stand near Worcester way before light on monday morning!!

BDinPutnam likes this.
  6. Blimey

Blimey 6.5 Creedmoor

Next two months (oct and nov) are my favorite two months in New York. The weather is pristine, as good as any on the planet. Bow gives a great excuse to get out there as it's starting to cool.

Maybe others disagree but imo the best tool you can have is a laser range finder. If always in the same tree or blind of course you could use a colored tape system or similar for distances and mark off beforehand.

I just reviewed a vid I took last year during xbow if a monster under my stand but I only had doe tags left.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  7. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

Already got different colors at diff distances. All set.

Blimey and BDinPutnam like this.
  8. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

Southern Zone here , but won't be out till the 2n'd week when i go on vacation , did some more bow practice today with bud and his son ..
    then his little 5yr old wanted to shoot something and and started crying .. so got my old moss 22 from the truck and let him make bang bangs ..

9. BDinPutnam

Dumb question but what colors do you use?

I have a metric shit ton of those white construction flags so I figured I would take different colored sharpies to them and put those out.

10. Kent Goldings

Kent Goldings .40 S&W

I have to work on Monday. I’ll probably take my bow out for a bit on Thursday Morning.

11. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

We used a neon green and blue. The green matches up with the pin on my bow. The blue, well that matches the red pin. I trusted by buddy to buy the supplies so we used what he brought.

On a brighter note, this guys and his brother have been MIA for over a month....till now.
    09270010.JPG

12. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

15384220460437299311543762467670.jpg
    Out for opening afternoon with the longbow in orange county.

13. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

Yesterday I saw more deer than I have ever seen at this land. Today, nothing. I haven’t been skunked here in 3 years.

14. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .338 Win Mag LEO / LEA

I forget all about the season. I gotta get my license!

BDinPutnam likes this.
  15. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

Got out for about an hour and a half (I have to work to support the illegals and welfare recipients so I couldn't get out till late). Scared up a doe and a couple young ones on the way in. Had another mom and young one pass by me near the end. No big boy yet. Skunked on day 1. Was nice to sit in the peace and quiet though.

16. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

I let a spike and a crotch horn walk by yesterday, I'll let the boys cap them if they wish, holding off for mr. big.

Robin and BDinPutnam like this.
  17. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

Had a small fork wandering around me last night for a good hour or so and got eyes on another small buck (couldn't see if it was more than a spike) cross way in front of me. Nothing in close enough for a shot.

Robin likes this.
  18. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Its been pouring rain for two days!!! I'm thinking of building an Ark! I like hunting in a drizzle but this is a tempest! I usually get up around 4-5 in the morning, the moon has been out both yesterday and today, but as soon as I start getting ready, down comes the rain.
    Robin

BDinPutnam likes this.
  19. Blimey

Blimey 6.5 Creedmoor

Gee. I managed to make it out to some land that is typically packed with deer. I was there two hours before sunset and absolutely shocked I didn't see anything at all. The weather was downright shitastic, though. Weather said 15% chance of rain, so of course it turned out to be 100% chance. I have no luck in rain whatsoever and if I know it's going to rain for sure I will never, ever hunt it.

BDinPutnam and Airborneguy like this.
  20. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Just tracked one and found it in the woods that my young neighbor shot yesterday right before dusk. We found it within 15 mins. Had a hole where he hit it the size of a softball,,,fox or yote might of tore into it.

output.jpg

21. NirvanaFan

NirvanaFan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I skipped out of work an hour early on Monday. I saw two deer and spooked them both. One about 10 yards from my stand when I was walking in, and one in the middle of the field when I was walking out. :rolleyes:

Bananabandit likes this.
  22. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

I__00052.jpg I__00107.jpg I__00084.jpg
    Couple of eights and a ten. One of the eights was there the same time I was, just twenty four hours earlier, HAH!
    Robin

23. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

That last one looks like the one I'm looking for.

24. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

Effin mosquitos are insane right now. Over run with squirrels and didn't bring any blunt tips with me.

25. ryguy

ryguy .38 Special

Well I saw 9 deer this morning, however this doe was the only one that gave me a shot. This is my first deer with a bow, so I’m happy!

[​IMG]

26. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

Congrats @ryguy . Is that the entrance or exit wound in the picture?

ryguy likes this.
  27. ryguy

ryguy .38 Special

Embarrassing to admit, but that is the entrance wound. She was at 25 yards, and took a step forward right when I sent the arrow. The arrow exited out high in the rear leg and must have cut an artery. She went about 100 yards, and bled like crazy.

28. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

No need to be embarrassed, being a bowhunter will humble you. Sometimes luck helps. Learn from every shot you take at game. I've lost a couple over the years and recovered some from not the best shots. I've learned to wait and pass on shots that I now do not feel comfortable on.

29. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

Well I got in a stand before dark this am and at about 8 one of the biggest 6pt (possibly larger) magically appeared about 14 yards away to my left. I happened to look back over my shoulder and here was this gleaming wide spread tall tined stud. He put his head down to feed and I slowly reached for the longbow off the holder. I carefully grabbed and slipped a finger over the arrow holding it quiet. He took a step, sniffed the air, and put his head back down. I eased my ass off the seat and planted my toes on the platform getting ready to stand when the chance opened. Well, he looked back, I stood up silently and held my bow up. He was now behind some brush, facing an opening where I have a distinct stick ranged at my comfortable 15 yards. He steps right towards that stick. His body is on a steep quartering away angle on the far side of the stick. I quickly debate drawing but I can not hold full draw on this bow long so I dismiss the idea. He's walking at that angle away from me. Antlers waving, he stops to nibble acorns. Now about 20 yards and still somewhat of a steep angle I do not draw. At that angle I am not comfortable along with the distance with this bow. He walks about 10 more yards and feeds more. I blow a very low soft grunt and he snaps his head my way. Then steps away. I grunt again soft. He snaps his head again. I think, I may have just made him curious enough to turn back. No, he feeds more and calmly walks away in the direction of another stand I have out. Exciting as well as a little disappointing but I am happy to have seen him and not spook him. Hopefully he comes around again soon.

Good luck fellas!

S&W Fan, camper4lyfe, Np14 and 3 others like this.
  30. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

I havent bow hunted in a few years.
    I have no real reason why I havent, I just wait until regular season.
    Ive got my 2 deer picked out.
    Now I just have to find them.
    They have been hanging out together all summer. Im gonna try for a 2fer on opening day of regular.
    The antlerless one doesnt act like a doe, so it may be an antlerless buck. Either way, she/he is hanging with a massive 10 point so she/he may be in trouble.

BDinPutnam likes this.