Goose hunting, yesterday was first day

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by JamieZ, Sep 2, 2018.

1. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Ive been scouting a field all week before I went to work. Only field in Churchville where I saw geese landing everyday. My buddy got permission but told me the guy gives permission to everyone. We decided to setup and camp out in the field. Got there at 9pm Friday night to hunt at 6am Saturday morning. What a freaking lovely night. Was trying to sleep upright in my work van and I might of been lucky enough to score a half hour of sleep. Coyote were having a serious howling party. There were 3 of us out there.

4am came and we decided to drive back to the road to park our vehicles. We noticed 2 other trucks there so we went over and talked to them. They said they got there last night,,,,we didnt say anything because we knew it was bullshit and that they were far enough away from us.

About 630am,,,,here comes the birds, a couple different flocks. We only ended up shooting 5 birds but it was a blast. I shot 2 of the birds with one shot and a third in a different flock. One bird flew over us real low and landed. We couldnt get a shot but my buddy went after it running like a chicken with his head cut off. Stopped shot at it like 10 times, then ran up to it and pulled out some ninja moves to kill it because it was still trying to get away. Me and the other guy were laughing are asses off. It was the best thing Ive seen in a long time and will never forget his young goose busting skills.

Anyway,,,needless to say I wasnt smart enough to take pictures when the sun came up and this is the only one Ive got. :)

Attached Files:

GOYABEAN, BDinPutnam and Twogunwilly like this.
  2. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

My backyard's a flyway, just gotta wait for the warden to go to work.

3. thegatman

thegatman .223 Rem

Still sweating my ass off. No goosers near me.

4. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .308 Win Monthly Shot Winner

I live near a high school; I'm betting the athletic fields are out of bounds. In my experience two best places to find geese you can't shoot are athletic fields/golf courses, cemetaries.

Tongue firmly in cheek. I did see the scrawny freshman kid on our golf team get chased by one protecting her goslings by a stream once, which was funny as hell.

Looks like a good time, glad to see people getting out.

5. GUNSICK

GUNSICK .223 Rem

I thought spotlighting geese was illegal:ROFL:

6. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

No, those ones are legal to spotlight and shoot at night. You can shoot them any time of day or night,,,,,there is a bag limit though but I think it correlates to how big of a spender you are

7. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts 6.5 Creedmoor

They sure are fun hunting, it's been a few years now since I have been out.
    Sounds like you had a good time.

8. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

It for sure is a blast,,,young kid across the street got me into it 3 or 4 years ago. He is taking me to Braddocks Bay this year to hunt ducks on the lake which he says more than likely I wont bring enough ammo. Bought me a set of chest waders, neoprene gloves and a wader jacket,,,,hopefully the shit keeps me dry and warm

9. HighlandLofts

My two sons back there hunt ducks & geese. My brother oldest so has a older lab and a Chesapeake bay retrieve that is coming on two years old.
    I get out with him when I get back to New Yorkistan..
    I like both., them damn ducks just come in from no where half of the time and are a bitch to hit.
    It is always fun when they at least come with in gun range.
    We shot two geese a couple of years ago that were flying towards us. One of them landed in a tree crotch about twenty feet up. We had to find a long people to push it up & out to retrieve it.

I bought a WINCHESTER super X3 in the waterfowl package to hunt back there. I leave it there, I don't hunt out here at all.

JamieZ likes this.
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

LOL, seen the goose guy's 500ft behind Canandaigua School Bus Garage set up for Geese in field on Airport road today. They hit them as they fly out of swamp at Pactiv (Mobil Chemical) ponds on North Road, Brickyard road. I lost some nice bad hit Bucks with Bow in that swamp... Would have drained crank case in 100yrds, but made it 50yrds to Pactiv swamp.. GRRRR

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  11. HighlandLofts

I use to hunt the Kirkwood industrial park where Putnam books use to be for rabbits in the day with a pellet gun after they closed and on sunday.
    When they were developing the industrial park body of 17 we hunted rabbits there with the beagles and shotguns, we would sit in the truck up .mon top of the development and watch for deer.

Them days are all.gone, never to return.