Guided Maine Bear Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by HighlandLofts, Sep 5, 2018.

1. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts 6.5 Creedmoor

I have been talking with my brother about doing a guided bear hunt up in the State of Maine next year.
    Has any one hunted up there for bear?
    We are starting to check into it, we want a week long hunt, guided. He was looking at one site, the cost is $2,500 a piece with lodging plus license, acces fees, then tips and bear processing fee. We will be driving up from the Binghamton area a couple of days before to do a little sight seeing on the way.

Looking for good or bad experiences on hinting up there.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. JaguarJaguarGolf

JaguarJaguarGolf .45 acp

No, I haven't,
    I did Physical Therapy with a police officer who told me he went every year up along State Route 9. We got talking about the road first because I have taken that route to visit in-laws in Canada. He said it was a good time, just about always got a bear, 200lbs. ?

3. HighlandLofts

They do guided hunts out here, but I think Maine would be more fun. The drive should be nice too from the Binghamton area up the coastline to Maine.
    I assume he just went on his own, after a guided hunt I think we will try in on our own the next year for deer. While we are there bear hunting we will talk to a few game wardens and at a few gun stores about where to hunt deer. I guess a lot of the land up there is owned by paper companies.
    It is encouraging to hear he was quite successful.

4. Doc8404

Doc8404 .338 Win Mag

If you want, I can reach out to a peer at work.
    He’s a big hunter from Maine.

What area are you looking at?

5. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

A detective I used to work with took a bear in Maine a few days ago. I deleted the text thread unfortunately or I’d post more information. He goes to some losge every year. I don’t know much about bears but I showed my boss the pic and he said it was a real nice bear for Maine.

I’d really like to get a bear one day. I make a lot of hamburgers and am now learning how to make sausage. From what I hear, that is what bears are best for.

HighlandLofts and BDinPutnam like this.
  6. HighlandLofts

A guy I worked with here in Washington state got a bear up near his mother' place most west of Spokane about ten years ago. He had it processed and left it in his mom' freezer because his freezer was full.
    His brother had a super bowl party and asked if he could take a few steaks and a roast.he told him.to help himself.
    His brothers wife wouldn't eat anything the shot or any fish they caught. For her everything had to be store bought.
    His brother talked her into trying a piece of bear meat and she loved it. They helped them selves to the entire bear.
    I never had any, but people say it is great. Maybe next fall we might have a chance.
    All the te I spend way out in the mountains I only sean three bears. I could of shot one with my 357 magnum GP100. We did see a half grown cougar about a month ago coming out of the mountains close to dark.

7. togmaster

togmaster .338 Win Mag

I've heard mixed reviews on bear meat, mostly bad. I would love to try some for myself.

8. HighlandLofts

I'd think most of it is in dressing it off and processing time. And whether it is a fall bear or spring bear plus available food to the bear.
    If it is in a remote area it will take time to haul it out while the meat will start to spoil in some cases depending upon the temperature.

9. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

I was researching bear hunting the other day because my buddy that lives 30 seconds from me goes to canada every year bear hunting. Told him if it wasn't to expensive and he considered taking me that I might go. Which everything I read on the one web site says its expensive. 2 grand plus for a 7 day, 5 day hunt, which includes lodging, food, bait piles etc. Anyways what I was getting at replying to your post was the taste between fall bear and spring bear. What I read if I remember correctly were that fall bear were better because of the amount of fat they put on before going into hibernation. Spring bears were not as good or as heavy because they have to live off themselves till hibernation is over. They said they would lose roughly a hundred pounds in hibernation.

HighlandLofts and BDinPutnam like this.
  10. stokes

stokes .44 mag

Years ago we did a couple bear hunts in New Brunswick,Canada,not too far over the Maine/Canada border.At the time the prices were half what they charged in Maine.Dont know what it would cost today,but the service we used was excellent.Our archery club set it up,first year there were 17 of us and we took 19 bears,second year there were 11 and 14 bear were taken.At that time the week long trip was around $800 inc all licenses etc.If you took a bear early,I took mine the first day,you could get a tag for a second for $200.All the meals were game,mainly moose.We had moose burgers,roasts,they even served us moose lasagna.Bear meat and deer meat as well.It was a great hunting camp.Its called "Slipp Bros." Pretty sure they are still there,google Slipp Bros if interested.

S&W Fan, BDinPutnam and JamieZ like this.
  11. stokes

stokes .44 mag

Spring bear is not as good eating,but is a far better "trophy" since the coats are still very full

12. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Yup,,,thats another thing I read

13. HighlandLofts

I was told the same thing, it is a trade off. Decent meat of a decent hide.

I think I would rather do a fall hunt, I hate wasting meat.

We will check out that guide service. We figure it will be well over three grand a piece by the time it is all done, especialy if you get a bear.
    But we are getting older and who knows what lies ahead health wise.
    It is something my brother always wanted to do so we figure if we are going to do it we better get it going.

Robin likes this.
  14. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

I was researching Skipp Brothers from the previous post and thats the company Ted Nugent used when he went up there bear hunting. Not like that matters but he seemed to have a good time with them.

Couldnt find a Skipp Brothers website though

15. stokes

stokes .44 mag

Not Skipp but Slipp Bros.Actual full name is "Slipp Brothers Ltd."When we went,and it was in the late '80's,it was about $800 total.Lodging,meals.license,processing the kill the works.Then,the bear were like cockroaches,they were everywhere.We did a spring trip,most of the guys used bow and arrow.I used a single shot .30-30 and got mine right before dark on the first day.I spent the rest of the week trout fishing.Was the best hunting I ever had.Second trip about 2 years later,I passed on one the first day and got a larger one the second,again spent the rest of the week fishing.

16. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

I looked it up as Slipp Brothers Ltd,,, not skipp,,,,that was just a retard moment while writing the post :)

17. stokes

stokes .44 mag

And you got nothing?Let me take a look.

18. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Nothing as far as a home website but tons of info on other websites talking about them.

19. stokes

stokes .44 mag

I just looked,although I couldnt find any web site for them I got links to many reviews and this contact info.5834 Route 101
    Hoyt
    New Brunswick
    E5L 1Z3
    Canada

Tel: (506) 368-4625
    Wouldnt surprise me that they dont have a web site.If I had to guess,I would bet they dont even own a computer or even a cell phone.Real woodchucks,Ron and Duane.When I was there one of the brothers,forget which one,had his face quite disfigured from getting wacked in the back of the head by a bear and landing face first on a rock.Joked about how he didnt even see a doctor,had his brother straighten his nose (it wasnt straight,pointed extremely left) and did his dental work,only had teeth on one side of his face.

20. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Ok,,,that had me rolling!!!