Let's talk chest rigs.

Discussion in 'Prepping, Survival & Security' started by FrankenCub, Jun 19, 2017.

1. FrankenCub

FrankenCub .44 mag

I've been looking at different chest rigs, some better than $125, others cheap and probably made in China.
    I really don't need anything extravagant, just to carry the basics, mags for pistol and rifle, radio, lights, ets. I've also been thinking about some that have sling attachments on them for one less strap going over my shoulder.

It kinda burns me. I used to work in an upholstery shop and can easily make my own that would rival any of the expensive ones but I can't justify buying a new sewing machine to do it. My current machine is giving me fits and I can't time it for the life of me.

Anyone have any advise on what you like or don't like?

2. Bananabandit

Bananabandit .308 Win

this is a question for the boys in blue.

I use my fat rolls myself.

kgun12 likes this.
  3. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .308 Win LEO / LEA

masterswimmer likes this.
  4. GOPerfect

5. Uzi

Uzi .223 Rem

A plate carrier makes more sense to me, but I'm sure an airsoft chinese one would be perfectly fine considering airsofters use them out in fields, woods, tunnels, abandoned buildings etc. and with flashlights, accessories, weighted replica magazines and secondary handguns for hours on end without issues. It's not exactly something you probably need to even spend close to $100 to get something decent.

6. GOPerfect

There are some decent ones out there that are inexpensive and very durable.

7. FrankenCub

FrankenCub .44 mag

I like the option of being able to carry my Walther on the chest rig too, something many of the designs don't have. Some I was looking at were basically mag carriers with a few extra pockets. But In warmer weather I bet they'd be much much cooler to wear.
    The second one, way above my pay grade lol.

I've been milling over whether I want a plate carrier or not for quit a while. While the obvious benefits being safety, I have 3 disks in my back that are gone so by time I start adding plates along with the rest of my gear I think it's going to severely cut down on my ability to function well in a SHTF scenario.
    I have seen some of the cheap Chinese stuff and it seems decent enough.

8. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .308 Win Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

I have been considering this one:
    Ten-Speed M4 Chest Rig - With Four Mag Pouches
    It MSRPs at $90 its light and American made. It is a bit basic though. But all a chest rig is really for is holding your rifle mags and a few incidentals. Its easy enough to keep your pistol and its mags on your hip.

9. FrankenCub

FrankenCub .44 mag

Yeah, I don't mine keeping my pistol on my hip, I kinda like my Safarilad ALS. Not taking my pistol away without pushing that thumb release.

Podmonkey likes this.
  10. Podmonkey

Blue Force Gear makes good stuff. I have one of their rifle slings and I like it alot. The also have some very interesting lightweight, low profile belt mounted med and dump pouches. Between those and the 10 speed with whatever you put on the either of the Molle sections I think you have a pretty complete basic load out.

11. freddy

freddy .357 mag

Yes, blue force gear won't let you down. Coincidentally I just got a chest rig from them.

Podmonkey likes this.
  12. Podmonkey

was it the Ten-Speed?

13. FrankenCub

FrankenCub .44 mag

What do they use for mag retention? They look like the mags could fall out in less than ideal conditions. If it's some type of stretch material they wouldn't interest me.

Something else kinda funny. I've been putting serious thought into hooking up with a couple milsurp combat helmets with the comms systems in them after putting more miles and hours in my M1008. That thing is loud driving around. It's no wonder all the military vehicles have a sticker on the dash saying Hearing Protection Required!
    At least electronic hearing muffs.

14. freddy

freddy .357 mag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  15. freddy

freddy .357 mag

Podmonkey likes this.
  16. freddy

freddy .357 mag

I promise the mags will never ever come out unintentionally. Especially if you have three bad discs. Unless you are a paratrooper with three bad discs, then maybe.

The elastic is beyond industrial milspec. The benefit with this design is instant access since all you do is grab and pull. No fumbling for flaps or velcro tabs or dingleberries. Also the ten speed is very streamlined, espcially when empty - they lay completely flat. No snag hazard.

FrankenCub and Podmonkey like this.
  17. freddy

freddy .357 mag

I put a safariland molle fork and quick connect (QLS), front and center, on a plate carrier for a safariland ALS holster. Is this what you mean @FrankenCub ?

18. Podmonkey

I watched a few video reviews on it. Like @freddy says the elastic seems to get a death grip on the mags. The only down side I see is needing two hands to reinsert. But that doesn't really matter, if you are in a hurry you'll just be dropping mags anyway.

FrankenCub and freddy like this.
  19. Doc8404

Doc8404 6.5 Creedmoor

20. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy 6.5 Creedmoor NYGF Vendor

I run the rack-minus by nlue force gear

RACKminus - A Tactical Lightweight MOLLE Chest Rig

Nice and light. I hot it for the Ironman 3 gun match in Idaho. I was shooting trooper divison. Trooper divisin require you to carry ALL your gear that you were going to use. All of it. So every ounce mattered. (Best match i ever shot)

I also have the below plate carrier. I dont really use it. (Obviously). My cat ises it for a sleeping pad failr regularly......I got it from ar500. I also have their plates for it.

IMG_9695.JPG

Podmonkey likes this.
  21. Podmonkey

I'm glad to hear that people are liking the BFG stuff. I think thats the way I'm gonna go too. Seems like a great blend of quality, price, and weight all while being American made.

22. MilesTeg

MilesTeg 6.5 Creedmoor U.S. Military

I was in your same situation, I really wanted to put together a chest rig to shoot and train in. I've recently decided to go in a different direction. I will wait to put the chest rig together when I have money for body armor. For everyday shooting and training I plan using a dedicated belt system.

I've been digging this guys channel lately and I'm thinking about duplicating his setup. T.REX ARMS

Here's the link to his website. The system will be quiet pricey to put together, but I hope to use it a lot. T.REX ARMS Orion – T.REX ARMS

My thought process is if we hit a true SHTF scenario, then I will use the belt for everyday work around the household. I will use the body armor for high alert situations, patrol or night watch.

Drinkthekoolaid likes this.
  23. Podmonkey

You could also combine the two. I have also been thinking about the same.

24. MilesTeg

I'm really thinking about buying one of his holsters with a drop leg setup. I don't know if I will spring for the expensive belt right out of the gate.

25. freddy

freddy .357 mag

Consider the BFG battle belt with a safariland ALS drop leg - it works outstanding. The retention and speed of the safariland ALS is unmatched in my opinion. Get the SLS version for even more retention. Dare I say the safariland system is really the industry standard? It sets a high benchmark for sure.

FrankenCub likes this.
  26. MilesTeg

I don't know what it is I cant get on board with the safariland gear. I think it's top notch but I just don't dig it. The T-Rex holsters can use the safariland attachments and I think they recommend the ALS system.

freddy likes this.
  27. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

I'm a big fan of battle belts. Easy on, easy off. The one I have is from Tactical Taylor.

Fight Light Battle Belt

[​IMG]

Not mine but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

GOPerfect and MilesTeg like this.
  28. Podmonkey

So you just strap it on? Its not secured by belt loops or anything? Does it flop around, stay put when you lay down prone?

Drinkthekoolaid likes this.
  29. PbTarget

PbTarget .45 acp

I opted for a Condor Battle belt and chest rig. Good reviews on both. Not high end gear but looks decent.

Couple of rifle mags on belt. 4 pistol mags ,holster..12 ga shell holder..
    Haven't used it yet. recently acquired.
    Chest rig is 6 mags flat across chest with MOLLE atachments.

I chose not to do armor due to weight and cost.

30. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

You just strap it on. You can attach an H-Harness to it but I don't. It may move around if you are scraping the ground but when it does, it's very minimal.

I like it because it's simple and not bulky. It can easily be attached the bottom of a pack for more support making the pack and the belt one item. Kind of like this. His isn't attached but it can be with molle straps.

[​IMG]

I just like simplicity. I can't imagine wearing a vest, hydration bladder, and a pack in the summer when taking to the woods. For me the modularity of the system works.