School Me on Nuisance Permits/Hunts

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Airborneguy, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

I've been invited to fill some nuisance permits in Orange County on Friday with my boss. I know nothing about this type of hunting. I know we have a few farmers here. Help!

What implements can I use now? Can I shoot a velvet buck (my dream!)?

2. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

Is there some sort of Antifa rally I'm not aware of? If so, the rules are.....well.....none.

3. Eddie Gunks

Eddie Gunks .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

Rules 1. Shoot all of them day and night.

Rule 2. Have fun

Rule 3. Call me i am only 30 min away!

BDinPutnam, Doc8404 and Airborneguy like this.
  4. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Its been a while and NY is always changing things, But Some years ago you could use a rifle or shotgun, no bow or muzzleloader allowed, doe's only, and it depends on the number of permits the farmer has. I thought the meat tasted metallic and was a purplish color, but I did make some stuff from the hides which are still a beautiful red this time of year. Good Luck!!!!
    Robin

BDinPutnam and Airborneguy like this.
  5. Darth

Darth .450/400 Nitro Ex

Pop
    Shovel
    ???
    Profit

6. Airborneguy

Damn I was hoping for a velvet buck. :(

7. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Call the DEC Airborne, they do change the rules a lot. Velvet buck would be cool!!!!
    Robin

Airborneguy likes this.
  8. phatfarmerbob

phatfarmerbob .45 acp

Bucks are a no go

Airborneguy likes this.
  9. Airborneguy

I just read that tree farms can get buck permits due to rubbing damage. I don’t know what kind of farm this is. Hopefully I will find out more tomorrow when I talk to my boss. He invited the DEC cop from down here to come with us.

Bushmaster likes this.
  10. Beah

Beah 9mm

Can confirm that bucks are a no-go but Mama and even Bambi can be taken. We used to get an unlimited amount of permits (not even kidding, 50-100 permits) in the late 90s early 2000s but the DEC only issues 10-20 at a time now and actually comes out to "assess" damage and need for permits. Mama and Bambi can be taken any time of day, using basically whatever means (spot lights, from a vehicle, canon?...maybe). No one in my family actually hunts them but we've watched. A hunting group that leases some of our land takes most of them (usually at night), one of them is a butcher so he handles that side of it from my understanding. In the late 90s since none of us hunted, the DEC gave my father a ton of rubber slug 12 gauge shells to shoot the deer with, my brother and I did that a few times but I don't think we ever hit them, they just ran from the noise and would always be back the next night.

Source: My family owns a large tree farm in Steuben county.

BDinPutnam and Airborneguy like this.
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

Depends where ya live. Size of damage etc... I did MANY of them. It started in Sept. before season. You are NOT hunting, you are killing wildlife remember. Mine was for DOE ONLY, any antlers killed by mistake DEC wants. Mine were always 3 deer DOE'S, goes to farmer and needy family, no trophy hunt Bucks etc... Had a time in to darkness allowed with me. NOT ALL NIGHT TIMES... I used center fire at times when center was not allowed for hunting. Also I used bows in certain areas. REMEMBER TO BE SURE YOUR NAME IS ON PERMIT !!!! It will show how long and after sun up, sun down you can Kill Deer. NOT HUNTING....

Airborneguy likes this.
  12. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

He or permit will say times you can kill Doe's ONLY !!!

13. Airborneguy

We went this morning for 4 hours. I saw my first ever bear while “hunting”! That was something.

My boss took one doe. I almost had a shot on three running but I didn’t want to risk it.

Going back in a little over a week. We have until Sept 30th.

Beah and Bushmaster like this.
  14. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

I use to be licensed by NY DEC for many years doing it.

15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

I gotta tell ya, even though it is not hunting..... It is a freaking riot, but it's at the expense of killing Deer the easy way...:(