Victor (NY) man fires bullet into home while cleaning gun

Discussion in 'Firearms in the News' started by Patriot, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Patriot

Patriot 6.5 Creedmoor

2. UltraT

UltraT .357 mag

I'll just clean my gun real quick. LOL :rolleyes:

3. GOYABEAN

GOYABEAN .338 Win Mag

4. carpediem

carpediem .308 Win

According to some, if it was a .45 it wouldn't even get through one wall!!:eek:

Uzi and freddy like this.
  5. misunderestimated

misunderestimated .45 acp

I say to every one who owns a gun, check,check,and recheck. have a simple process and follow it every time. EVERY TIME!

I remove my mag, bring slide to rear, stick my pinky in magazine well ,stick my pink in chamber as I am visibly looking that nothing is in chamber. I look away and repeat . as crazy as it may seem its a very simple and effective way to re assure your self you have an unloaded fire arm.

tirwin1 likes this.
  6. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

In general more and more people are owning consumer things they don't know how to operate. Some items (key words here) are "potentially" more dangerous than others. People do not read owner's manuals, many manuals are free, on line etc. We live in a world of more and faster information yet we are more ignorant than ever before.

Cleck likes this.
  7. Deplorable Me

Basic NRA instruction compliance would have prevented this. Glock manuals are well written and if read would also have prevented this. A minimum of two points of failure here.

Guess he earned a moron participation award.

8. 71velle

71velle .40 S&W Monthly Shot Winner

I must be strange, I make sure I have an unloaded gun before cleaning.

9. ArmedCorgi

ArmedCorgi .308 Win

Hardly the handgun's fault, even if you don't like Glock. Who the heck cleans a gun loaded? How can you clean a gun while it's loaded? Sounds to me more like "cleaning" was the excuse he used for playing around with a loaded gun.

Cooolone, FrankenCub and Willjr75 like this.
  10. Bob

Bob .357 mag

In order to field strip a Glock, you have to first depress the trigger. Don't check the chamber first, and you'll send a round flying. This is exactly the reason why a number of law enforcement agencies refuse to consider Glocks for their primary sidearm.

11. 4excal

4excal .338 Win Mag

Meh, a gun that makes you pull a trigger to clean it really is idiotic in my eyes. There's bound to be a fool that will forget it's loaded. Quite shocked that Glock and so many others still make this the way to strip.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Cleck likes this.
  12. misunderestimated

misunderestimated .45 acp

This is a people problem not an object problem . You can't blame the gun. It's the same argument we have with unreasonable gun control laws when they blame the gun not the shooter . As mentioned simple, basic , NRA trading could of avoided this

spat likes this.
  13. dwa12479

dwa12479 .44 mag

Complacency kills. Sounds like someone wasn't focused and paying attention.

Either that, or the "cleaning accident" always seems to be good cover when you're doing something stupid.

spat and Cleck like this.
  14. MilesTeg

MilesTeg 6.5 Creedmoor U.S. Military

I don't get the hatred for needing to pull the trigger to disassemble a gun. Because I really don't want to be disassembling one in the pipe either, that's asking for trouble also. If I'm not mistaken the M&P line doesn't require a trigger pull to disassemble. So if there's one in the chamber and you start disassembling the firearm how easy it would be to have it pointed towards yourself and accidently discharging it. I would rather know I had to pull the trigger and point it in a safe direction with pulling the trigger.

spat, MothMan, Willjr75 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ArmedCorgi

ArmedCorgi .308 Win

I know, I own a Glock 23. My rule of thumb when handling a pistol, is that when you pick one up you can either fire it or clear it. If you are not at the range or in a situation where you want the gun to go off, you clear the weapon. This whole excuse of "I was cleaning the gun" is misleading and isn't correct. Maybe you were about to clean the gun, but you never got that far because you mishandled the pistol and it went off.

spat, FrankenCub and MilesTeg like this.
  16. Deplorable Me

Actually you save time if you clean the gun, bullets and polish the trigger all assembled.

ArmedCorgi likes this.
  17. 4excal

4excal .338 Win Mag

I know it definitely is a people problem. But how dumb can these companies be to assume everyone is perfect manual readers that never will get distracted or drink or take "prescribed" meds..just don't give them the chance for an issue. Design it without pulling the trigger of a firearm..like every other gun manufacturer that doesn't make you do that, and the issue disappears. Then there's the fool that has his gun cocked and locked and still does it, and for that, you can't fix stupid.

18. ArmedCorgi

ArmedCorgi .308 Win

I see your point, but whenever I look into a new gun, I'm always concerned with the manual of arms. I understand some people aren't but when it comes to things like firearms, it seems one should be.

19. dwa12479

dwa12479 .44 mag

It makes for a quick easy sear disconnect though. Imagine if that gun malfunctions for some reason and you have to field strip it in a gunfight. 1911 guys are effed for sure.
    [​IMG]

Shooting at an RDPA event last winter, @GTN had what he thought may have been a squib load in his G19. It didn't sound right at all to us in the observation area either. He had the barrel out for inspection in about 10 seconds, back together in another 30 or so, and was back in the fight.

FrankenCub and GTN like this.
  20. dwa12479

dwa12479 .44 mag

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  21. 4excal

4excal .338 Win Mag

Oooookay ok! I get the point!

:p

22. dwa12479

dwa12479 .44 mag

Whoops. Double tap. :tommy:

23. tirwin1

tirwin1 .44 mag

Agree 100%. Every time I touch one of my pistols I always check as a matter of routine. For new gun owners in particular I think it's almost impossible to be too paranoid about gun safety. With rights come responsibilities......

spat likes this.
  24. Mr. terzmo

Mr. terzmo .44 mag

Not checking the chamber is like sticking a hand under a running lawn mower....Forest had it right..."stupid is as stupid does"

spat, FrankenCub, GOYABEAN and 2 others like this.
  25. Uzi

Uzi 6.5 Creedmoor

26. timboy

timboy .45 acp

And according to others the house would have fell over. Lol

carpediem and GTN like this.
  27. 4excal

4excal .338 Win Mag

Oh yeah, I guess I'll add that, I have to strip my taurus 709 that same Glockish way:eek: I read that line in the manual like 4x thinking I was reading it wrong..

28. FrankenCub

FrankenCub .223 Rem

Are you to also blame Toro for the idiots that use their snow blowers to clear their roofs? Or Ford/Chevy/etc for the idiots driving 90mph through the city?
    We keep making exception for morons throughout society and then wonder how the hell did we get here.
    Is it that much of an issue to actually look in the friggin chamber to see if a round is present? I have yet to find an instance when I couldn't see the chamber of my Walther or Glock. I have one basic rule. If you can't follow firearms safety, you shouldn't own or use one. I don't care if it's military, LEO, or private citizen. There's NO excuse for lack of general safety practices.

spat likes this.
  29. FrankenCub

FrankenCub .223 Rem

That's a good point. I had an issue with my 1911 at a match and ended up forfeiting the centerfire match. PITA to field strip in a rush. My Walther is a breeze like the Glocks.

30. Cooolone

Cooolone .223 Rem

I don't know, it must just be me...

Every single time I "TOUCH" my gun... I know, repeat I "KNOW" it's loaded! Even when it isn't... But really, all my guns, every single one is loaded, every mag is loaded whether it be in my carry rig, or spares, all ready to go, always! What do you do when SHTF, ask geeeee, wait a moment, I need to load my mag? Anyways...

So, when I'm handling it, it's loaded, I exercise the proper firearm safety rules required to avoid this type of scenario! And when I bought my Glock, and still now, it bothers me that the breakdown requires a trigger pull. But when you consider the design, it's actually a good Darwin device! With the exception these idiots don't observe other safety rules as well, like not pointing the Damned thing "UP" when pulling the trigger, ie, safe direction! Maybe glock should have written the directions to point the gun at your face when pulling the trigger, or look down the barrel when pulling the trigger to release the slide. Maybe then these idiots would make sure they're unloaded.

So, I have no love lost for these idiots who somehow or another, even for a second, think with their empty brains, that the gun is unloaded when they didn't look, check, rack, etc., "BEFORE" pulling the trigger! Just a Damned idiot numbskull moron!

: )