2017/2018 SQUIRREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by HighlandLofts, Aug 15, 2018.

1. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts 6.5 Creedmoor

Seventeen days until me new squirrel season opens, and it is on a Saturday.
    Every one have their favorite 22lr sighted in and ready to hit the woods on the first day?

When I lived in New Yorkistan i NEVER missed the first day of squirrel season or deer season since I was twelve until I moved out of New Yorkistan at the age of 42.
    Lately I have been coming back there to hunt deer for three weeks.
    I do shoot a few squirrels while back there.

Here in Washington state you only see them in town, I have taken a few, but there is not many here for the taking.

My favorite way to cook them is;
    Quarter three or four of them up.
    Boil them to get the me at off of Russia the bones and make soup out of them.

A can of tomato juice
    A bag of frozen mixed he goes
    Potatoes cubed up small
    The squirrel meat
    Salt & pepper
    A couple whole bay leaves
    When simmered and everything is done add small egg noodles and let it set until the noodles are cooked.
    Add water when needed while cooking it.

2. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Its a rarity that I do it because Canadian goose season and crow start at the same time. Goose for meat and crow for fun. Though when I do go squirrel hunting I take my pup. He loves squirrels, at least he loves chasing them and is very good at finding them and chasing them up the tree. I throw an electronic collar on him thats good for a half mile. You can either hit the vibrate button or shock button,,,he has never needed the shock button except for the time he took off after a herd of deer,,,,the vibrate just wasn't stopping him. He's a good old pup.

Ive never eaten squirrel though,,,would like to try it and the wackiness in me has me thinking about trying chucks,,,which I shoot a ton of. There's some,, I'm assuming good recipes Ive seen on the internet.

Need to start getting some pelts and heads for the man cave/beer drinking knotty pine cabin I built in the basement. I'll hang some squirrels, woodchucks, fox, deer and coyote down there next to some old wood signs etc etc.

3. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

I take a recurve or long bow out for squirrel to get myself ready for deer season.

4. HighlandLofts

When I lived back there my oldest son use to go squirrel with me a lot, we use to shoot between 200 to 300 a piece on the average every year.
    I really miss hunting them, I got other stuff while being set up for squirrels. I alwa was settled down just before day light and would change spots if nothing was active where I was set up.
    I had a lot of places to hunt them with different types of nut trees.
    I really likes getting them in the shag bark hickoy trees. I'd generally get the daily bag limit at a one stand of hichorys.
    Butternut trees were a hot spot as well.
    Them days are gone for me unless I move back there. If I do I'll move to northern Pennsylvania.

5. camper4lyfe

camper4lyfe .223 Rem

I'll be waiting until October/November, but I think I'm going to take my 5 year old out with me for a trip this year. He's been on my to take him hunting, and I think squirrels is the bast place to start.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  6. HighlandLofts

Camper you are doing it right, first impressions are awesome. Does he have a Red Ryder yet?

7. camper4lyfe

camper4lyfe .223 Rem

He's been begging for a gun, but we're stopping him at Nerf right now and teaching him to be responsible with them. Once he's good with those, then we'll move him up.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  8. HighlandLofts

Each kid has their developmental stages for responsibility, I started my kids out at 5, my daughter at 6. My two grandsons started at 5, my granddaughter will be 6 next month and isn't ready yet.
    Maybe never will be.
    It is all fun, my kids first kills were birds with their Red Ryders.
    Squirrels with their 22s.

camper4lyfe likes this.
  9. HighlandLofts

Well your squirrel season opens up in eleven hours, any one going out?

If you do post up some pictures.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  10. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

Wake up, it's killing time people!

BDinPutnam likes this.