ANY TRAPPING COURSES COMING UP IN CENTRAL NY.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by HighlandLofts, Jun 9, 2018.

1. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

My brother lived in Brooke county and needs his trapping course to go trapping come fall. Is there any classes going on?

2. kev74

kev74 .308 Win

Check the DEC website. All the courses get posted there.

3. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

He found a trapping class down by Scranton pa.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  4. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

I just got my check from the may NAFA sale. Just a heads up on something the course will not teach/ tell you, be prepared to spend a lot of money to make VERY little in return.

HighlandLofts and BDinPutnam like this.
  5. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

It will give us something to do together while I am back there for three weeks during deer season.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  6. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

If you guys are looking to buy equipment let me know, I will be thinning my collection this season.

Edit: I do it to get out of the house and stay busy after deer season is done. It sucks there is no money in it anymore, if it even paid for itself i'd be happy.

HighlandLofts and BDinPutnam like this.
  7. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

It will be fun spending that time with my brother out checking traps along side of the deer hunting.

I'd like a few furs to hang in my gun room.

8. wizrd

wizrd .357 mag

NY DEC trapping courses require pre-registration online, along with homework assignments that must be completed before attending the class. It is not easy to find a trapping class here. Do Not wait until fall - you won't find any.

9. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

20180613_193333.jpg

How I get my trapping fix during the off season.

wizrd likes this.
  10. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

What do you put in the water bottle, peanut butter?

11. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

I have an old new York trapping license, my brother signed up for the Pennsylvania trapping coarse down below Scranton, it will take place in a week and a half on that Saturday.
    So we should be set on that.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  12. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

Yup, redneck mouse trap....bottle on a rod so it spins freely. Piece of wood leaned up to bucket so they can easily get up. They walk out stand on bottle and fall in. Water in the bottom so they can't jump out and drown. Works like a champ.

wizrd likes this.
  13. wizrd

wizrd .357 mag

That bucket trap has accounted for a lot of chipmonks around my place....just saying.

whauburger likes this.
  14. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

I have to cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and stick it in another bucket to extend it higher for rats, with the pigeons for the dove releases I get rats. I caught two earlier this week in #1 longspring leg traps.
    The bucket might work better.
    I grabbed two bucket from work today to make one up tomorrow when I get home.

15. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

16. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

I shoot the chipmunk and groundhogs out of the window with an air gun to feed the hunting fix. The mice cover my trapping.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  17. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

You should freeze the chipmunks and mice for trapping bait. They should make great bait.

18. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

I thought about it, the only problem is frozen bait doesn't give off the smell that is attractive to the target. Usually the weather is cold during season and they won't really thaw.

19. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

Mice do make good bass bait though.

20. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

Is it legal to use live mice as bait? A small live trap to catch them and a small wire enclosement to hold them in at the trap sight.

21. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

I'm not positive if there is a law or not to be honest. I know from the older generation that catching them, hooking through the back and tossing them out was the tits bait for bass.

22. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

An acquaintance out here knew some one who had a cougar killing sheep. He bought a very young live baby goat to use as a decoy. He had a small wire dog crate that he put the baby goat it and set it out in the pasture where the sheep were getting ambushed just before day break for a couple of hours and set up down wind.
    Then he would set up again a couple of hours before dusk.
    No cougar, but about a dozen coyote.
    Some one called the game department on what was going on with during a live animl as a decoy. They showed up and told him it was illegal. He explained what was going on about being set up for baiting the cougar and the coyote were reacting to the baby goats tantrums. No tickets were issued, but said he should lay low for awhile. The person who called it in lives close by and will probably call it in again it it is still being done.

Out here leg traps are illegal. They use live box traps for bobcat. I had a guy who would stop by and buy cull pigeons to use as live bait in his box traps. He hasn't been by now for the last two trapping seasons.

When I set out my trail cams i will be using dead cow calves to get cougar pictures. There is a shit load of them in this part of the state.
    A few weeks ago a cyclist was killed over in North Bend which is about 50 miles south was of here. A few days ago two guys were attacked by a cougar on Vancouver island in Canada. One of the guys shot it and killed it.
    The deer hurds are depleted, a adult cougar kills one deer a week on the average and the lieing state game department says there are between 1,900 to 2,100 adult cougar in the state.
    On the Washington hunting forum in the trail cam thread all the guys are capturing pictures of cougars, many with triplet kittens.

23. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

24. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

You can, but it is illegal.

whauburger likes this.
  25. whauburger

whauburger .44 mag

I spit a little coffee from that one. Thank you.

26. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts .223 Rem

I'm glad you found the humor in it. The timing was just right when you read it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018 at 11:50 PM