Anyone turkey hunting this weekend?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Saltwater60, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

I’m going just seeing if anyone else is. I enjoy turkey hunting the most. I’m just sad the weather is supposed to be iffy and fall is only 2 weeks long. I hope I get one. I’ve been working my balls off siding my garage. 3 car garage and it was 1000 square feet of siding. I did all the trim and aluminum too. Replaced the soffits and gutters. I just need a fun weekend.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  2. hooked

hooked .40 S&W

Coyotes killed all the turkeys, i havent seen any in Monroe or Ontario county statelands

3. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

I'm going and I'm very excited. Ive been out turkey hunting 2 times previously during spring seasons. Both times we called in hens and could here a gobbler off in the distance but obviously no shots were taken on the hens. So needless to say I have never gotten one. We see turkey in this field all the time. Young buck neighbor took a deer out of this field a week or so ago and text me pictures right before he killed it of turkeys walking by his stand. This will be my first fall hunt.

Saltwater60 likes this.
  4. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Good luck. I have little practice as well and had a turkey in under 4 hours. I had 4-5 coming into me last fall. I put the mouth call in on the way to camp and practiced for an hour. I was having a legit conversation with a gobbler. He never came up the hill and a car drove by to scare those off. I then walked to the hill up top and 4 hens were there. I shot the one off by herself.

Good luck and knowing where they are is a lot of the battle. Pictures after you get one.

5. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Wow I have been seeing tons of them. Last fall I walked up into the woods and 3 trees had about 15 birds in them each. I was surrounded. It was insane and exciting as hell. Hope the same thing happens Saturday.

6. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Its good that you learned a mouth call. Think that was the first call I purchased,,,its probably still in its package in my reloading area. I use a Primos box call called the Hook Up. It works real well and I can make a bunch of different calls on it and even the gobbler call that I didnt think I could so I bought another one last week. A Primos shaker gobbler call,,that works nice also but only good for one call.

The area you plan on hunting, have you seen them there this year?

How did you cook the turkey that you shot?

If I get so lucky and get one,,I plan to inject it with a spice kit I remember being able to buy at Wegmans,,,then I'm going to fry it. Did this one year a long time ago for my mother. The bird came out so yummy that I can still remember how it taste.

7. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .308 Win Monthly Shot Winner

Pretty sure that was the ruckus I heard in the hollow out behind my place Tuesday night around 0300 too (in Putnam County). :(

8. 2WheelGnnr

2WheelGnnr .40 S&W

I have not see any in ontario county either in the usual spots!! but I plan to try.

9. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

So my excitement of going Saturday just went down the toilet. My neighbor texts me and tells me he now has to work but has Thursday off. So now I have to take Thursday off and go then. Guess I will try an area Ive never seen them in on Saturday. Right now sitting at my desk at work also trying to plan for duck hunting on the 27th. It will be my first time hunting ducks on Braddocks Bay. Last year I shot a few in a flooded field in Churchville. So I'm trying to find ammo because the ammo I have doesnt work good out of the new Patternmaster Classic Choke I just bought. Patternmaster told me the best would be Federal Speed Shock, 1550fps,,so I'm going to take back Remington Hypersonic ammo today back to Field and Stream and see if they have the one I want. Rochester area is getting pretty shitty since Biekirchs closed. Hard time finding ammo, powder and primers now. At least finding the brands I want sucks. This whole fucking cant buy ammo online shit sucks balls. Even Targetsportsusa doesnt have it. Anyone want to give me other online retailers besides targetsportsusa and Munireammo to check.

10. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

I'm seeing them but not in the numbers I did a few years ago.
    Robin

11. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

I have not physically seen the birds this year, but all the signs are there. Feathers and drippings on the old logging road just like last year. There is a creek right there they fly down and get a drink every morning. I sit between thier roosting trees and the water.

As for how I cook them I bribed it and smoked it with cherry wood. It was awesome. I highly recommend it.

CzechFan likes this.
  12. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

My friend ditched me too, but it’s my parents land so I don’t care. I will just go myself like usual.

13. Bananabandit

Bananabandit .338 Win Mag

I have t o be real quiet when going through the deli. Might spook the off the bone turkey that I love so much.

but really, Ive done a little turkey hunting. Never got anything nor saw. heard them. Was a nice rainy spring too. Oh well.

Saltwater60 likes this.
  14. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

Lots around here but im not going this year.
    We raise Heritage turkeys and the wild ones cannot compare.
    I got a hen last fall, it was good.
    We deep fried it on thanksgiving along with an oven roasted Heritage.
    The family was split, some prefered the wild, some the tame.