AR build is short stroking

Discussion in 'Long Guns - Rifles & Shotguns' started by BMF JK, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

Mek is like the Steven William Hawking of the gun world. And it continues to ammo also.... Velocity, windage, etc... LONG LIST LOL.....:rock::);)

2. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .450/400 Nitro Ex

Many moons ago, last century we troubleshot a short stroker. Gas port had a left over burr that caused a restriction. Owner found out what factory spec was on hole. We bought that drill one size larger, put it in a manual tap holder and gently reamed it out. Sucked out the chips with a shop vac. Success! Then had to fix the mag thanks to Andy stupid shit.

Wile E Coyote school of gunsmithing.

3. meketrefe

meketrefe .338 Win Mag

you guys give me too much credit.

An AR is like a car but w/o a spark plug and gasoline and instead a primer and powder.

just follow the cycle and make sure you don't have interferences or lack of gas (unless one eats at taco bell)

lol

BDinPutnam, Doc8404 and Bushmaster like this.
  4. meketrefe

meketrefe .338 Win Mag

I had barrels with the wrong port. Barrels with the port in the wrong place (not properly indexed)
    barrels that past head-space but had a short chamber (very dangerous)
    and so many other things.

Luckily these things are not very frequent, still be cautious,trust but still always check.

your calipers, balance and micrometers are your best friends.

BDinPutnam and Bushmaster like this.
  5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster .308 Win

Well with a AR build we all know it could be a number of things wrong. But I'm betting DSDMMAT is correct...??? who's with me on this one ? LOL...

6. meketrefe

meketrefe .338 Win Mag

It could be. That is easy to measure.

7. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

You guys wanna place bets !? Lol I’ll borrow eer I mean hold the money . I’m a little lite after buying parts .

8. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

Who makes the barrel? Bolt? Stripped Upper? Buffer? Gas tube?

Is the bolt dragging going in and out of battery smoothly?

Does the bolt drag in the stripped upper/charging handle?

Make sure the gas block is lined up correctly.

If you cant fix it send it to me. I can.

Very rarely is it the gas hole?....again, who makes the barrel?

9. ArmedCorgi

ArmedCorgi .338 Win Mag

LOL, you said gas hole.

BDinPutnam, Calculon and kev74 like this.
  10. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

BCG seems to run smoothly

Barrel is the non threaded custom barrel from your website.
    BCG , gas tube and upper are Aero precision.
    Buffer is spikes tactical t2

Sooooo not the barrel gas port ?

11. Bullet Guy

No. Not the barrel. Send it to me and i will get it working. DO NOT DRILL OR ALTER THE BARREL IN ANY WAY.

Call me in the morning and i will get a tag out to you to send it in. All i need is the complete upper and i will asses what is wrong.

I sent you a pm.

Please see your pm. Thx and sorry you are having trouble.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. BDSKJCHRIS

BDSKJCHRIS .40 S&W

@Bullet Guy is the LGS/FFL we need, not the one we deserve.

it has been too long since i got down to the shop and bought something. I also have a friend in the market for a mossberg 590 or 590a1, i'll have to send him your way.

Doc8404, dsdmmat and Bullet Guy like this.
  13. Runner99

Runner99 .40 S&W

Ditch the spikes H2 and pickup a regular cheap carbine buffer.

taran tactical reduced power buffer spring is also niceeee for the mid length setups

14. Doc8404

Doc8404 .338 Win Mag

What’s wrong with the H2?

15. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

Thank you sir ! PM and email sent

16. Runner99

Runner99 .40 S&W

Nothing if the build is gassed enough to run it. However, it sounds like this one isnt. With the block open and fte, is doesnt sound like it is gassed much (which should make it very soft shooting when tuned)

You need to tune your buffer to your build. Whenever I test uppers, i bring several buffer weights and spring. Find which one makes it purrrr.

17. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

I went with the t2 due to it being a carbine gas system , am I wrong in assuming I’d need to slow the bolt to keep the dwell time right ?

18. BDSKJCHRIS

BDSKJCHRIS .40 S&W

any semi auto 5.56 rifle regardless of barrel length or gas length should function perfectly fine with a standard carbine buffer and spring, (unless it uses a rifle buffer tube). Heavier buffers are a fix for feeding issues with M855 or bolt bounce on full auto DI guns. piston guns however should be run with a heavier buffer. chris bartocci did an excellent video on buffers that is worth watching.

19. Runner99

Runner99 .40 S&W

It sounds undergassed to me. I would lighten the buffer to a standard carbine buffer. I would be surprised if that didnt make a big difference.

Standard parts are standard for a reason: they work. Guicci kit can be very nice, and can integrate well into a rig, but I would always start with the basic spec first

20. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

I tried a standard buffer and spring from another rifle with the same result.

21. Calculon

Calculon 6.5 Creedmoor Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

I’d swap gas block first and see what happens. If no better send to @Bullet Guy - he will get it working.

22. Bullet Guy

No better to send it to me right away. I am leaving town in a few weeks and then iwony be able to help......

dubleuhb likes this.
  23. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

24. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

Just a follow up guys . Most of you know @Bullet Guy and some may have had the pleasure of doing business with him , I can tell you he is a stand up guy who gets shit done without hesitation!!
    I shipped my upper to Eddie on a Friday and had it back the following Wednesday . I’m a very inquisitive type of guy and the curiosity was killing me what he did to remedy my issue. He explained exactly what he did . According to Eddie the “ muffler bearings needed grease and the blinker fluid needed to be filled “ since then I’ve been researching for endless hours to find info on such AR maintenance to no avail . I guess @Bullet Guy truly is a firearm genius for knowing such things that apparently NO ONE else knows about rifles ! Lol
    Got the chance to do some shooting today down at deer camp she’s no longer a short stroker , but now she’s a power stroker ! ( I’ll need to turn the gas down now thanks to Eddie)
    Eddie thank you Sir for going above and beyond and helping a fellow firearm enthusiast, I appreciate your help and the firearm community in New York is losing a great asset . Thank You and good luck on your next chapter in life.

Seriously WTF did you do !!!!! Lol

25. togmaster

togmaster .338 Win Mag

It always sounded like the muffler bearing to me.

BMF JK and Bullet Guy like this.
  26. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

Yeah that muffler bearing ...

Bullet Guy likes this.
  27. BMF JK

BMF JK .38 Special

This rifle will actually be my primary coyote rifle this year , I’ll post some pics after deer season is done .

Bullet Guy likes this.