Crossbow for Deer (a tactical and practical question)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BDinPutnam, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .308 Win Monthly Shot Winner

The crossbow broadheads thread here is helpful but I was hoping to get some thoughts on where I'm at and if crossbow is where I want to go before I sink money into equipment and practice.

I'm on about 5 acres in southern Putnam; neighbors consist of 60 acres of woods behind and five acre plots lined up lateral.

We have been watching the bucks grow up- last year we had an 8, a 6, and two 4's. I figure it is time to take the big guy out. But he hightails it to Mexico the day shotgun season opens. I wish we had early muzzle here but we don't. My main concern is put down- I don't have a bunch of neighbors but I also dont want to wind up tracking onto the neighbor's if I can help it.

So do I figure out crossbow this summer, or do I super suck it up and stalk the shit out of this guy in shotgun season? Last year he was gone around open of turkey, and I literally didn't see him again until a couple weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Chicken Shoot

Chicken Shoot .40 S&W

Well .... as of now you get the last 10 days of archery with that there crossbow and you can use it all the way deer season as long as you have the correct tag. With that said, a crossbow is archery. You must hunt like archery. It's all shot placement. You do your job, make a good shot and you'll watch it pile up usually within 20-30yds. Yes ... sometimes they will go further but not by much. Are you familiar with bow hunting? That is exactly what you're hunting with when using a crossbow. (No I'm not going to get into this battle with the anti-crossbow guys) I haven't seen the crossbow broadhead thread and I'm not sure I want to. LOL I am a bow tech at a pro shop. That's what I do. I can tell you many people are buying crossbows simply to extend their seasons as it can be used in the last 10 days of archery season all the way through as long as you have the corresponding tags. It doesn't have to cost a ton to get a decent crossbow either. I have one that is under $380 and it comes with everything needed except broadheads. That's the one I use myself as I don't intend on using it much so I couldn't justify a $1000 crossbow. It's also 370fps. The crossbow is simple to use. DO NOT aim at the same spot on the target once you get it sighted in because you will put one bolt inside the other. ;)

3. BDinPutnam

Chicken Shoot, thanks, a lot of helpful info here. Yeah, I am definitely thinking of this as archery- my thought is I can get more proficient with a xbow than a bow between now and October. Do you mind if I ask what you have? Budget in mind was basically max $500. Is there a minimum fps you'd recommend staying at/above? I do not want to undergun this guy, I want to be clean, quick, and ethical. The spots I am thinking of taking him are probably 20 yards, *maybe* 30 depending on conditions and how good I get between now and then.

Definitely hear you in multiple point targets- I've seen a number of xbow reviews where people complain they broke their bolts because "it's too accurate." Dummy, don't shoot at your bolt in the target!

Thanks much!

Chicken Shoot likes this.
  4. Chicken Shoot

Chicken Shoot .40 S&W

The one I use is the Bear Karnage Apocalypse LS. The LS stands for Legend Series and is a little nicer than it's cousin the Karnage Apocalypse. It has an adjustable buttstock, foregrip and even the cheek rest is adjustable. It comes with a

Hawke 4x32 Illuminated Scope with 5 position Rheostat Light Adjustment
    Ambidextrous Trigger with dry fire inhibitor
    Adjustable cheek piece and rear stock with 3" of adjustments and 5 settings
    Modular 4 bolt quiver design can be used with 2 arrow grippers and removable hood foam for using mechanical Broadheads
    Kryptek Highlander Camouflage
    Neoprene sling with quick detach spring loaded pins
    Dual mount string recoil suppressor system to reduce noise and friction
    Option to shoot it with 1 Arrow gripper and hood foam in place for Fixed blade Broadheads
    Adjustable fore grip is mounted on a picatinny style rail system for improved accuracy and comfort

370 FPS
    111 ft lbs KE
    175 lb draw weight
    14" power stroke

Includes
    4x32 Illuminated Scope
    Quiver
    3 Carbon K-20 Bolts
    Neoprene Sling
    Cocking Rope
    Rail Wax

Price $379.99

Bear Apocalypse LS.png

There is no recommended speed really. If you were looking at a bow, you'd see say 345fps advertised speed. That's all well and good BUT you're probably not shooting a 350 grain arrow at 70lbs, with a 30" draw and you're not a machine. As soon as you take away any of those requirements for the speed rating, you're not shooting the advertised speed nor ever will. What I'm saying is, that 370fps from a crossbow is more real world than any bow rating. BUT to get that kind of speed, you'd generally have to spend $800+ with other companies. Right now, we're seeing a shift in the market where the price point goes down and the speeds offered are going up but there aren't too many at this price point with this speed.

You'll be shooting that crossbow as well as a rifle in a matter of minutes. This is where it's not like archery in that there is no real learning curve. If you can shoot a rifle, you will be highly accurate with the crossbow. We offer this crossbow with a Plano Spire hardshell case for $440 out the door. It's what I chose purely on budget and the performance was a bonus. ;) I'm not saying this is what you have to purchase but merely something I like to suggest to people that may not be using it a ton. For those people, the Parker's are the way to go. Whatever you do, stay away from Barnett. The shop is a Barnett dealer as well and we haven't carried them in stock for 3 years. Nothing but problems and I found the reason ... and Barnett has done nothing to remedy it.

BDinPutnam and freddy like this.
  5. BDinPutnam

That's a pretty sweet setup from the little I know so far! Read it is made in China, any issues with quality you've seen? Sounds like no?

Thanks for all this, super helpful. Going out to a shop near us this weekend to try some stuff on.

Much appreciated, Chicken. More to follow I'm sure, lol.

6. Chicken Shoot

Chicken Shoot .40 S&W

They may be made in China, but they are a Bear Archery product and no issues I've seen so far. They are really well built and like I said, for the budget minded hunter, they are certainly one of the top choices in my book. Look around and shoot as many as you can before making a decision. ;)

BDinPutnam likes this.
  7. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

BULLET NOTE!! .. It's not a RIFLE .. sure it can shoot out to 200 yard .. do not even think it ... flight time ?? ..
    its a bow .. shoot as close as you can .. keep it under 40 yrds or less ..

they are not quiet .. Deer can jump at the sound and there you have a bad shot and have to track longer ..

Chicken Shoot and BDinPutnam like this.
  8. whauburger

whauburger .223 Rem

I took a small buck from the ground last year at 17 yards with xbow. He ran less than 20 yards. Like CS said, shot placement and angle will make or break you.

9. Chicken Shoot

Chicken Shoot .40 S&W

He already stated he was keeping in the 20yd range possibly 30yd if conditions were perfect. ;) He knows it's not a rifle. LOL

BDinPutnam likes this.
  10. zzrguy

zzrguy .44 mag First Responder

I've been thinking of getting a crossbow as my shoulders are giving me trouble and holding the bow at full draw is is getting painful. But I live on Long Island and the DEC has not open it up to crossbow yet.

11. BDinPutnam

Yeah I've been scoping out fields of fire. I think I have a pretty good spot- as long as the buck cooperates!

Which, he probably will. I have been watching him for a couple of years now and while he's definitely gotten smarter, he's also pretty bold (and fairly predictable). This was last year, munching on plants right out the front window.

Oh PS- Chicken Shoot, from what I read, in Southern Zone we actually get the last 14 days of archery to use xbow so I got that goin for me. :)

5836.jpeg

12. Aether

Aether .177 BB

Then there are the crossbows at the OTHER end of the price spectrum. Was covering the cardiac surgery inpatient unit one Saturday last fall and had my credit card with me. NOT a good idea! A “Scorpyd” crossbow package arrived at my house less than a week later. AWESOME (but EXPENSIVE); my son, my best friend, and I took 6 deer (2 bucks, 4 does) with the Scorpyd last season at ranges from 12 yards out to 35 yards. Heart shots, lung shots, liver shots. All worked. The mechanical broadheads we used had a 3-inch cutting radius. Huge blood trails.

13. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

BD, I hope that guy made it through the season, next year he should be damn near spectacular, the year after for sure!!!! Nicely formed rack..
    Robin

14. BDinPutnam

Thanks Robin- yeah, he did I've seen him a few times the last couple of weeks. Pic above is before he bulked up. He's a bit skinny right now but taller and definitely the same deer.

Side story, early September I was splitting kindling and heard very slow rattling- he was down the hill, on my range with one of the 4 points- teaching him how to "fight." It was very obviously not the real deal rut. For about half hour. Really cool, my wife has video.

15. BDinPutnam

Hey Chicken, (maybe) dumb question- are the only major differences between the LS and the base model the scope, the sling, and the paint job? I am looking very closely at these Karnage xbows, they look really nice.

Thanks again!

16. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

Great advice. Once sighted in, super accurate and aiming at the same bull will cost you arrow fletchings, been there done that lol.

17. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

0509180821.jpg My 2 cents- very powerful, very accurate. Very muzzle heavy, thus awkward weight distribution. Not good to keep cocked longer than 4 hours. A true single shot, like a muzzleloader. No deer is going to hang around if you miss your first shot, while you noisily. (and dangerously in a tree stand) recock it. Best used from a tree stand or similar. Plan in advance, trim branches etc. to make shooting lanes, it ain't no 'brush rifle'. Range trees/landmarks to know what is go/no go in your effective shooting range. Do NOT take a chance outside that range and wound an animal please. Exercise sound judgment and self-discipline. Lighted nocks are a Godsend. Practice regularly. It isn't difficult to get good with it.
    Edit: and oh yeh wax string(s) and rail very frequently, say every 3-5 shots.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  18. BDinPutnam

"Range trees/landmarks"

That is some solid advice I actually hadn't thought of it (thought I've done it previously hunting on unfamiliar property). So used to "knowing" my own property I didn't even think to do this- thanks!

What are you running in the picture above?

SmallGameAddict likes this.
  19. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

A rangefinder is worth it's weight in gold, for lots of things.

It's a Barnett Brotherhood, 350 fps/109fpe with 400 gr arrows (total weight 20" carbons and 100 gr broadheads). Nikon Bolt XR 3x32 scope. Easton 20" carbons/Rage Crossbow X mechanicals in quiver.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  20. BDinPutnam

Cool, thanks, and also for the other comments above.

21. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

Damn spellcheck.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  22. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

Yvw. Just practical advice from been there/done that.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  23. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

Actually BD, if you wanna get a feel for the program, Turkey hunt with it first.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  24. thegatman

thegatman .223 Rem

My neighbor takes squirrels with his and he is 15.

BDinPutnam and SmallGameAddict like this.
  25. BDinPutnam

Not a bad idea at all, we were thinking of going for the buck above right around November 1st. Definitely turkey at my place (though they seem to disappear the night before season opens).

26. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

Best time is mid-late May for gobblers. Most of the hens have been bred, and the toms start wandering a lot looking to get laid.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  27. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

That window sill will make a great shooting rest.

Eddie Gunks and BDinPutnam like this.
  28. BDinPutnam

Yeah but I don't have a 2017/18 license.

Hear you on the window sill but pretty likely the pointer would flush him before I got a shot off. :)

29. BDinPutnam

30. SmallGameAddict

SmallGameAddict .223 Rem

31. Chicken Shoot

Chicken Shoot .40 S&W

OK .... It's not going to hurt the crossbow to keep it cocked all day while hunting or more than 4 hours. Not sure where you heard that. Don't leave it in the closet for 4 months cocked because then you'll be seeing me in the pro shop so I can order new limbs and repair the crossbow. LOL Do not wax the string/cables that often. You're over waxing at that point. Over waxing negatively affects the performance of the bow/crossbow. Lube the rail as needed. You can see and feel the lube on the rail. If you don't see it or feel it, it's time to apply lube. Generally this is around the 10-15 shot range for the lube. Of course other things will come into play so that shot count can change. ;)

BDinPutnam likes this.