Deer season timeing

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by phatfarmerbob, Oct 18, 2018.

1. phatfarmerbob

phatfarmerbob .45 acp

so why is it that we don’t have a January season? Lots of states do, it’s cold, people have time off, I just don’t get why they keep pushing it earlier when no one wants to hunt. Let’s see a late season Jan muzzle/ bow season already.

Convince me I’m wrong

2. GOYABEAN

GOYABEAN .450/400 Nitro Ex

King:fuac: said so :violin:

3. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

Ask a dec biologist, all kind of book smart but most don't hunt, fish or trap. They make the decisions, any input from the public is looked at as nonsense.

1911guy and BDinPutnam like this.
  4. phatfarmerbob

phatfarmerbob .45 acp

I agree completely. They come up with these ideas that are ass backwards and counter productive because that’s what their professors at ESF or wherever drilled into them. I heave dealt with some of these folks and it’s like talking to a wall. They just nod and smile, then completely ignore all your suggestions.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  5. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

Winter is stressful on the herd, they need time to recoup before the white death gets too deep for them to eat.

1911guy and BDinPutnam like this.
  6. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

There is a January season in LI.

7. hooked

hooked .40 S&W

Do you want to really shoot a doe that is 1/4 way thru gestation? IMHO everytime one gets a doe in January is shooting 3 deer not 1

BDinPutnam likes this.
  8. Jmac00

Jmac00 .308 Win

being a heating contractor, putting deer hunting season smack dab in the middle of the heating season makes it tough to get out and hunt at all.

BTW, tomorrow is opening day in the North country, and yes, Im going up this afternoon and hunting the weekend. so anyone that breaks their furnace over the weekend is either going to have to wait til Monday or call someone else

Archer58, MoMan and GOYABEAN like this.
  9. phatfarmerbob

phatfarmerbob .45 acp

I have hunted the January season on shelter island. It was fantastic! Only thing the land owner asked was that if we saw a huge deer that looked like a buck but had no horns to refrain from shooting it. (The mentality is that it could have lost its horns at this point) we shot a 7pt and a doe. The Doe was pregnant with one fawn. I don’t see how it is different shooting a doe in December or January. Either way she is more than likely been bred. Just in January it looks like a tiny deer. Guess that’s the difference between late term and early term?

10. Airborneguy

I agree. We have plenty of deer in NY, especially downstate. As long as you are following the laws, who cares if the doe is pregnant? Two less fawns (and the doe herself) won't put a dent in the population.

Hunter numbers are way down and winters have been mild. Everywhere I go I see tons of deer now, way more than in the past. All signs point towards a very healthy, if not overpopulated, deer herd in NYS.

11. Airborneguy

I agree. We have plenty of deer in NY, especially downstate. As long as you are following the laws, who cares if the doe is pregnant? Two less fawns (and the doe herself) won't put a dent in the population.

Hunter numbers are way down and winters have been mild. Everywhere I go I see tons of deer now, way more than in the past. All signs point towards a very healthy, if not overpopulated, deer herd in NYS.

12. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

I hit a deer with the old duster i had back in the day on the way to Fire Dept meeting .. it was like in Feb ,March , April .. tossed her in the trunk .. got to the meeting .. call in to get a tag

Sheriff shows up ... where the deer .. out back getting gutted .. ok .. got my tag ..

she had 2 little tasty hot dogs in her ;) LOL .. @Airborneguy

Airborneguy likes this.
  13. Jmac00

Jmac00 .308 Win

Come up to 6A. there is about one deer per square mile. No doe tags, no preference points, no landowners permit ~~~ in-0ther-words, you can only shoot antlered deer, period. it's been like this for 4 years now. I did get a 10 point on a trail cam, but no one has seen him live yet.

The good news, it was just great to get out in the woods and get away from all the bullshit going on in this state