DPMS Pattern ar10 parts

Discussion in 'Long Guns - Rifles & Shotguns' started by Exonautic, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

So let's hear it, tell me who makes the best barrels and bolt. I got an aero upper and lower on the way from that deal I posted. I'm going Odin works for my handguard and a PRS for the stock. Well get to glass later on. Keep the barrel under $400 and the bolt under $250 unless something warrants a little extra. This is a long-term project for me considering the amount of money I'll have in it by the end. I'm talking Christmas time to finish it. I have other things I want to get before that so I'm literally only buying these pieces if they're on sale.

Celt likes this.
  2. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Not under 400 but Lilja for the barrel. My opinion, Olympics opinion and Navy Seals opinion

AR10 Archives - Lilja

3. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

most definitely did not want to goi up that hi

4. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

I have a Bartlein barrel on mine.

5. cgrutt

cgrutt 6.5 Creedmoor

6. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

is my price realistic for a .308 bcg? iodk how much higher they are than the standard ar15.

7. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

Anyone use Odin works barrels? I'm thinking of going with them if I go with a 6.5 build.

8. dsdmmat

dsdmmat Donut Master Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

Have 2 Odin works 22 inch 6.5 CM builds. Love em, they are lighter than I normally would go but the accuracy is there and that is really all that matters.

9. Calculon

Calculon 6.5 Creedmoor Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

Details, details! Pics or they didn't happen.

Exonautic likes this.
  10. Calculon

Calculon 6.5 Creedmoor Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

Bumping this thread. Re: headspace is it necessary in a .308 build to get a matching bolt and chamber/barrel from same manufacturer if both are DPMS pattern? Seems like it should be OK to source separately. Opinions/experience? TIA.
    @Bullet Guy
    @meketrefe
    @dsdmmat

11. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

Here is the boilerplate answer. You should always headspace......

Almost everytime they pass the headspace test, when you are using quality parts from known manufacturers.

meketrefe, Calculon and dsdmmat like this.
  12. dsdmmat

dsdmmat Donut Master Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

Not necessary to get them from the same place as long as you are getting quality parts. I have only had one problem with headspace out of all of my builds. It was an AR15 type gun with a fail zero BCG. The bolt was out of specs and would not close on a 223 go gauge. I tried the bolt in several different guns to ensur it was the problem part. Fail Zero replaced the BCG and sent me a note saying the bolt was way out of specs and they were sorry for any inconvenience.

Bullet Guy and Calculon like this.
  13. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

^^^^^
    FWIW the only issues i ever had with bad parts were expensive nickel boron bcg.....go figure.

Exonautic and Calculon like this.
  14. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

Gotta say. I was looking at fail zero with herG but then I started reading reviews and they seem like garbage. Finish coping and or of spec very often.

15. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

I was thinking I may just go f1 bolt and either a premium ballistic advantage barrel or something similar.

Calculon likes this.
  16. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

99.9% of the time the head-space and other potential chamber issues are going to be safe.
    But if you want to A) Make sure or B) Have the tighter possible headspace like for precision shooting you need to consider ordering
    from quality manufacturers and ideally find one that sells the barrels and bolts matched for whatever the objective. Some do to
    offer added reliability and service life and others to maximize accuracy like some Match barrels makers that will sell you the bolt
    head spaced at the time of cambering including asking you if you wan to use a couple of your own rounds to headspace based on them, if you send it to them.
    There is no more accurate way to headspace than using the actual rounds one is going to use for competition if that is one's goal.
    But this doesn't mean a rifle cannot be accurate w/o going to extremes. After all a true SAAMi Chamber is going to perform
    very well. Another thing is to choose the manufacturer that produces a SAAMI chamber.
    In addition if you reload you can also play with the actual brass to match whatever you got by adjusting the headpace when forming(sizing) the brass.

I had good luck with Krieger and Lothar Walter and the ones that I reamed myself.
    For already built ARS LesBaer are expensive but they are also Anal about precision and that shows.
    White Oak armament and Fulton they will also sell you top shelve stuff as they are used to server competition folks.
    Also consider giving a shout to the @Bullet Guy ... he is a member and he knows his ARs.

BTW most politicians would fail the head-space test. ...a different kind of head space. :D

Bullet Guy and Calculon like this.