Food shortage

Discussion in 'Prepping, Survival & Security' started by Robin, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Radio news reported this morning that there was a shortage of fresh produce in the Rochester area due to the east coast storm last week. Just goes to show how vulnerable the food chain is when a one day storm has that kind of impact. Check your stuff and update as needed.
    Robin

freddy, 99cummins, kgun12 and 4 others like this.
  2. Drinkthekoolaid

Drinkthekoolaid .308 Win U.S. Military

Modern supply chains are extremely intricate and fragile.

3. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

I wish I liked canned vegetables more.
    We can veggies every year and have alot in storage.
    I just much prefer fresh veg but I can them for situations like this.
    Canned green beans are gross!!

4. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Hahahahaha, I actually like canned string beans, both kinds better than fresh, unless I'm picking them out of the garden as I do some weeding. I really like canned peaches better than fresh too. Drives my wife nuts!
    Robin

kgun12, S&W Fan and eochief66 like this.
  5. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

Canned French cut green beans if loaded with vinegar in a 3 bean or 5 bean cold salad. The person who invented hot green bean casserole is a sadist. I love cold canned peaches.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    kgun12, S&W Fan and Robin like this.
  6. Deplorable Me

If the primary stores (Wegmans, Tops, Save-A-Lot) show shortages, try the Asian, Chinese, Indian ethnic mom n pop grocery stores. They won't have the traditional American vegetables but will have cabbage, onion, carrot variants. I get better prices there than at the big box stores. Some vegetables I have no idea what the hell they are, so I stick to the ones I know I can cook with. I made a supply pickup yesterday at my favorite Asian cooking store yesterday, fresh vegetables to the max.

Also some fresh vegetables store better than others: carrots, cabbage, onions, potatoes, some celery, some peppers. I stock up on those during sales and can go 3 weeks until the next sale.

Doc8404 and kgun12 like this.
  7. Uzi

Uzi 6.5 Creedmoor

8. freddy

freddy .308 Win

HA!

9. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

Thats for sure
    Tomatos are the best veg to can.
    I cant eat raw tomatoes, theyre gross but canned are great for sauses, stir frys.......
    Cauliflower is another good one.
    Green beans can good but I hate the taste.
    Still havent found a way to can broccoli.
    Potatos we just store cool and dry, they last through the winter and spring.
    Asparagus cans very good and tastes great.
    We have soooo much asparagus that we feed hundreds of pounds to our goats, they all have stanky pee.

kgun12 and Deplorable Me like this.
  10. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock 6.5 Creedmoor

Yellow are better.

11. Deplorable Me

Cooking type pumpkins and winter squash (acorn, butternut) store well for weeks too. Field pumpkins and cooking pumpkins yield some great seeds that can be roasted. They can be oven roasted or pan roasted. One of these days I may try it with acorn squash seeds.

Criticalt and Robin like this.
  12. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

We used to do wax beans but we both realized we didnt like them, fresh or canned.

tirwin1 likes this.
  13. Deplorable Me

Broccoli and cabbage seem to be cold weather tolerant, possibly brussel sprouts. I've seen small scale farms picking in the snow, last picking. In potato and onion fields in the early spring I've found taters and onions that were missed while picking that wash up in the mud.

I put parsley and oregano in my flower garden next to the house, comes up every year. Close to the house it gets warmed up early. I've heard cilantro will do that but haven't had luck yet.

kgun12 likes this.
  14. Mosinitis

Mosinitis 6.5 Creedmoor

Roasted pumpkin seeds are great. Although they tend to act like a mild natural laxative, which can be a plus or a minus. Roasted sunflower seeds are also a healthy food substitute. They should be lightly salted, not like the snack packs sold in stores. I buy them imported in sealed packs. They are imported from Russia, Israel, Moldova and Ukraine. Snacking on sunflower seeds is suggested as the best remedy against falling asleep at the wheel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    kgun12 likes this.
  15. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .338 Win Mag LEO / LEA

It will be a very long time before I run out of food. More and more Americans should take this seriously.

Running out of food in an area, State or across the Country would be horrible. Most are not prepared for more than a couplke of days.

tirwin1, freddy, kgun12 and 1 other person like this.
  16. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .338 Win Mag LEO / LEA

It will be a very long time before I run out of food. More and more Americans should take this seriously.

Running out of food in an area, State or across the Country would be horrible. Most are not prepared for more than a couple of days.

JRtraderny likes this.
  17. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

just hold on LOL .. really "FRESH" ... oh yeah the farmers markets are all closed now .. you know winter time ..
    now everything is imported from who know where .. and Rochester of it all .. what was the #1 veggie there .. oh yea . tofu LOL ..

18. Drinkthekoolaid

Drinkthekoolaid .308 Win U.S. Military

Every American should aim to have a 3 month supply of long term good stored. In a major SHTF it would give you much more time to figure out other options to get your fresh food supply going.

Hopefully if enough people had food stored it would significantly reduce the panicked hordes.

Having a 3 month supply of dried beans/rice canned goods, peanut butter is super easy to do and entirely withinh the reach of most Americans.

If everyone had a basic level of food stored this country would be so much better off, I think the problem is many people are either too lazy or can't think outside the box. They are used to things now the way they are and cannot imagine it not being this way. There are also too many people thatpit too much confidence in the government to be able to ride in on their white horse to fix any problem when it's just not realistic.

freddy, GOPerfect and tirwin1 like this.
  19. FrankenCub

FrankenCub 6.5 Creedmoor

Food supplies will be my biggest problem, we usually only have enough for 1 month. Storage space is a huge problem. After we get moved this spring this will be something I'll be working on. I need room for a chest freezer and a real pantry. We'll finally have room for a garden also. I'd like to build some kind of smoke shack for meats too. Anything from pheasant to pig. Thought about pickling meats but I've never had any, if it doesn't taste good I won't do it lol.

20. Dayten

Dayten .308 Win First Responder

I eat humans. I have nothing to worry about.

Bullet Guy, tirwin1 and FrankenCub like this.
  21. wizrd

wizrd .357 mag

Fava beans suck!

22. Dayten

Dayten .308 Win First Responder

But human liver doesn’t :smilingimp:

23. 99cummins

99cummins .357 mag

A giant house of cards. Most people have no idea. Just a few days of some kind of interruption in the supply chain will have quite the impact.

Drinkthekoolaid and freddy like this.
  24. Jezman

Jezman 6.5 Creedmoor

Try the frozen section.

25. freddy

freddy .308 Win

100% The minor cost in storage space and planning is insignificant compared to the outcome from failing to acknowledge and take action towards mitigating the risk. Especially for those with a family.

Drinkthekoolaid likes this.
  26. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

I did. they were out of Red Barron's. I'm wasting away, hurry up spring.
    Robin Birdseye

Jezman likes this.
  27. wizrd

wizrd .357 mag

The average supermarket has on hand only a three day normal supply of food stuff. Interupt their delivery for any amount of time over that would result in food panics. Canned foods have a useful life expectancy of many years. A recent article in Alaska magazine, written by a local who has spent more than his share of time in the wilderness, often bushwhacking and becoming 'disoriented' - for a few days, or weeks, has him regularly subsisting on canned goods that are 30 - 40 years old, found in various cabins that he happened to stumble upon in the bush, as long as the cans aren't rusted through, or really stink bad, he says the taste is just a little off, but will suffice as edible food. I have eaten some canned stuff that was 'outdated' by several years, no problem.

GOPerfect and Drinkthekoolaid like this.
  28. JaguarJaguarGolf

JaguarJaguarGolf .45 acp

I think Homeland Security recomends a 6 month supply of food and medicine.

Drinkthekoolaid likes this.
  29. masterswimmer

masterswimmer .308 Win

And yet you make their watch list if you do prepare as they recommend. :banghead:

spat, Drinkthekoolaid and Robin like this.
  30. Bananabandit

Bananabandit .338 Win Mag

Its a trap!