GSSF Match Fulton NY July 7th & 8th

Discussion in 'Ranges, Training & Competition' started by misunderestimated, Jul 1, 2018.

1. misunderestimated

misunderestimated .357 mag

Another NY match , Hope to see some folks out there, Great way to get into competing and great way to spend the day and possibly win some money or some guns

If you have any questions or concerns Let me know I may be able to help you

Please join us for our match in Fulton, NY on july 7th – 8th. Empire State Regional Classic XXI will be hosted by Pathfinder Fish & Game Club

You can pre-register and avoid the walk up lines by using the registration form found at www.gssfonline.com and emailing or faxing it to 770-437-4719 If you miss the deadline for pre-registration, bring a filled out registration form to the Walk-Up counter for faster service. Maps to the range can be found at www.gssfonline.com under the Match Schedule section. Just click on the match link for the map!

As a GSSF Member, please take the time to post a review on the page and don’t forget to click “Like”! Click the link to view:GLOCK Sport Shooting Foundation - GSSF
    DON’T FORGET:
    The GLOCK Girls Side Match
    is available at every match! All female shooters are eligible for entering this event. The best score wins $100 and guns are given away randomly when 10+ females sign up! Pre-register for this division at www.gssfonline.com!
    POCKET GLOCKS DIVISION is available for G42s & G43s. This division follows the same rules and prize distribution as the Major Sub Division. You can pre-register for this division only on the same form as the GLOCK Girls Side Match found at www.gssfonline.com!
    Take advantage of the GLOCK Armorer's services on site as a part of your member benefits when attending the match! Information on other membership benefits are posted at www.gssfonline.com in the Hot Topics section.
    Here's our CURRENT schedule:

Saturday, - 9:00 am - Registration opens, Shooting begins at 9:00am, Registration closes at 3:00pm
    Sunday, - 9:00 am - Registration opens, Shooting begins at
    9:00am, Registration closes at 2:00pm

Come out and shoot with us! Bring a new member and you and the new member will be entered in a drawing for a GLOCK pistol certificate! For details, visit www.gssfonline.com.
    We look forward to seeing you at a future match!

2. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

Do they allow spectators? I am not a gssf member...yet.

3. misunderestimated

YES , You can spectate, BUT if your going to go,and you have a Glock. then just shoot it. you can join there .. I would bring your Glock,try and bring at least 4 magazines and at least 150 rounds, (just in case you need a reshoot)

Bullet Guy and Jaywmustang like this.
  4. PbTarget

PbTarget .44 mag

Should spectators wear ear & eye protection?
    How close c as n we get to the action?

5. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

You want to go with me if I go?

6. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

Are there people there that help new members through the event?

7. misunderestimated

YES you are correct,you need Eyes and ears , Most of the ranges I go to you have to have eyes on as soon as you exit your vehicle . As long as your not being a knuckle head you'll be real close to the shooter and you'll be able to hear the range command to get a better idea whats going on . You also be able to go to down range while we are scoring targets and then tape the targets after they been scored

8. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

Looks like the weather will be nice on Saturday. Are there a lot of people at this event?

9. misunderestimated

So the easy answer is YES.Everyone in a red shirt is from Glock and will answer any questions you have Every one there in a gray shirt is a range officer and there purpose is to keep things safe and get ever one thru the match. This match is designed specifically to get new shooters involved in competing. So that being said as your run into some one a Gray shirt just state ."I am new to this match what should I be doing" they will walk you thru what you need to do and keep you Heading in the correct direction. Same thing when you get on the line just let the RO know your new and they will talk you thru. Most important thing is too listen, Ill be there on Saturday with a new shooter . If you guys want to try it sign up for GSSF , register for 2 at least 2 divisions,1-Amateur civ 2-comp civilian Bring at least 150 rounds each division (incase you have to reshoot) Go with the goal that you just want to make it thru the match and your not worried about your scores ,just want to make it thru the match. I am not working at the match, I am just going to help a new shooter and shoot 4 divisions . Keep in touch I can definitely help you guy get going ,once you understand it its very simple. Just be prepared to wait. this match is all about waiting .I hope to see some more folks from the forum at these matches.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    BDinPutnam likes this.
  10. misunderestimated

Well did you 2 decide if your going ? Do you have enough magazines? I can bring some extras if you need them

Jaywmustang likes this.
  11. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

I went to runnings yesterday to find a g17 mag but they did not have any. I have three g17 mag, do you know if a gen 4 mag will work with a gen 5 g17? I am still deciding if I am going.

12. misunderestimated

YEs the magazine work in either gun, What gen do you have. I have plenty of magazines I can loan you at the match the min you need is 4 loaded magazines for the plates , you could have one magazine and re load between strings but it makes it more stress full on the shooter. If I am running a shooter who doesn't have allot of magazines Ill ask one of his buddies to load between strings and I will hand him the magazines . you have time to reload between the three course of fire. I hope to see you go

13. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

I have a g17 gen 5 and a g40 gen 4. I am going to try hitting up gander before Saturday to get another g17 mag. My wife is interested but unfortunately my youngest boy has a bday party to go to. I am going to try and read the current rules today. My goal is just to make it through the match. I don’t have much pistol shooting experience under my belt.

14. misunderestimated

So let me just say this, I wish when I got my permit back in the early 80's that I would have gotten into shooting in matches. It test your skills, it makes you have to practice, it makes what is normally a fine motor skill into a Giant gross motor skill, it makes you a better shooting, it get all of euro in your brain connected, Allows you do do several things at once while firing a gun. this is the stepping stone to more difficult competitions, The hardest thing is just showing up, You have to do things that challenge you and this is a great place to start.

And again what ever magazines you need I can bring with me so don't go crazy trying to get one

BDinPutnam and Jaywmustang like this.
  15. Matt

Matt 22lr

I wish I was going to be in town, I would stop over and check it out.
    I also wish I had a Glock! Looking at getting a 26 Gen 4 this summer - 10 rounds, so more than my 45 xds, and the gen 4 seems to fit my hand better than any other Glock I have tried.

Good luck to those going and shooting - sounds like a fun way to spend some time - post some pictures!

misunderestimated likes this.
  16. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

Found a mag for the g17. I am in the process of talking with my wife, she wants in!!! Lol. We might be able to get my sister to take my son to the bday party. Do you know the rules about sharing pistols for the event? She has a g43 but would like to shoot my g17 also.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  17. misunderestimated

is she licensed to shoot the gun,

If yes NO problem sharing a gun.

18. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

She has her pistol permit but my g17 is not on her permit.

19. S&W Fan

S&W Fan .308 Win

It’s too bad this is just for Glock pistols. I would have liked to give this a try.

20. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

You can use mine if it’s legal if I go

21. S&W Fan

S&W Fan .308 Win

I appreciate the offer but I’m not much of a Glock fan. I have friends who own them and I’ve shot them several times. I just don’t care for ergonomics of the grip.

22. MikeyCNY

MikeyCNY .223 Rem Monthly Shot Winner

Write "Glack" in crayon on the side, maybe no one will notice?

S&W Fan likes this.
  23. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

John, misunderestimated, pbtarget, myself and my wife. Misunderestimated and John were great to learn from. My wife and I were greatful that they took us under their wing and showed us the rope. The range personnel and ladies doing the registration were great, very patient with new members. The competitors were friendly. Overall a great time, we are very happy that we participated in the competition. On a side note, my wife did hit a range official with a ricochet and/or shrapnel. 16D3B30C-2AE3-40D0-9C47-1EB7659AF4A3.jpeg

BDinPutnam, dsdmmat and MikeyCNY like this.
  24. misunderestimated

Hey, Whats up with your Camera, the picture it took make my dark brown hair look gray and makes me look heavy,

That being said. it was a pleasure to meet you folks. I enjoyed your company , Its great to see a married couple getting to enjoy a hobby and an interest together. The strong relationship you build today keeps a married strong 40 years latter. You folks did GREAT! Good shooting ,

Isn't it fun to do some thing that challenges your ability, raises your heart rate, Gets the adrenaline flowing. Stimulate the neurons in our brain .

Did you purchase the app , get the app and register your score and track your improvements.Post up a screen shot of your score summary. On Monday or Tuesday go to the GSSF web page and look for the pre Lims to see where you placed, then in 30 to 40 day you'll go back to see the final scores and prize award. Remember that ever div you entered entitles you to a random drawing that could be a Gun, A check, A member ship extensions. A glock Knife. A glock shovel ,
    I am sure you both walked away with a list of goodies you'll need for your next match,All the goodies make for excellent birthday,anniversary ,mothers day,father day,Christmas present, Your first gift to you wife for doing so well should be the uplula
    UpLULA™ – 9mm to 45ACP universal pistol mag loader Magazine loader

Safety wise. You mentioned the splash from the rack getting the RO , Image that rack was at least 33 feet away. Its a great reminder of why we should always wear eyes when your at a range. I always have mine on the second I leave the protection of my car. Invest in a set that wraps around your face to protect you from the side also and the most comfortable set so you'll always have on .

Reminders.

You cant out shoot a penalty, Slow is smooth and smooth is fast
    Use a barney on the plates , always better to have an extra instead of needing one
    Put ten in your hand and then load your magazine
    Don't wait for a plate to go down. Engage it and move on .then circle back to clean up what you may have left.
    Ask to have the rack painted when you arrive so your team mate can tell you you are low left when your shooting the heck out of the rack instead of the plates.
    Full Magazines on the left and empties on your right
    Learn to box your firearm the same way every time you use it so when you open the box you always know where its Pointing not just for matches but each and every time you handle a firearm. Weather she put it in the box or you do , the habit you build today stay with you forever with guns and safety
    Lastly get involved, Paint steel, Paste targets, it makes the day go quicker.And you meet the greatest people down range .
    I hope to see you folks at another match in the future.

If your still in the mood, you can go back to shoot the 17 in Master stock and her 43 in pocket pistol

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Jaywmustang and BDinPutnam like this.
  25. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .223 Rem

Bring a reporter with you. Bingo- everything's a Glock!

Looks like a nice time, nice to see people out and about.

26. PbTarget

PbTarget .44 mag

I was surprised by the number of participants.
    The firing stations (6) were pretty much all occupied all the time.
    This is a two day event for Glocks only.
    Imagine if the shoot was open to all brands.
    Many shooters traveled hours to participate and follow the circuit.

Misunderestimated and his friend were a pleasure to meet and their guidance made the day soooooo much easier and relaxed.

Don"t have a Glock? Go with your buddy that does.

The stages looked fun and challenging. Much more so than just punching holes in paper.
    Steel plates are much harder to hit than you think.

All in all , a great experience.

27. Jaywmustang

Jaywmustang .223 Rem

We are not too worried about our score lol we made it through the match. Neither of us have much experience shooting pistol but it was a great time. The score may be different on gssf page, our first stage paperwork did not Indicate if it was civ or comp so I just plugged in the numbers 3EF699EB-EA74-4D60-8F73-9FD1D0A8C491.jpeg 4738EE38-6ACB-409F-8CA1-AE19386830D6.jpeg Misunderestimated is full of great advice lol. I understand now why I need more mags. I was rushing to get the mags fill and I could feel my heart rate pick up. Thanks again for letting me barrow you mags and holder. Also it is good to count the rounds out. Meredith had a couple mags that were only loaded to 9. Not sure if it was her or my fault. Lol glad it only happened twice. Definitely easier in a box than in bulk.

We already started buying equipment for our next shoot. I bought 2 uplula loaders. I was really impressed with it. So much easier that the stock Glock loader.

A big thanks again to misunderestimated. Like he told me, the hardest part is going to a match. I agree 100%. Don’t worry about your score, just make it through the match. Everyone there were great. Don’t be intimidated, try it out

28. misunderestimated

The pre lies posted today, you can view them at there website and see how you did compared to your peers. I placed you on a team with some of my buddies

Jaywmustang likes this.