Here's why N.J.'s new gun law has therapists worried for their patients

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by livingston, Aug 9, 2018.

1. livingston

livingston .450/400 Nitro Ex

It is one of the tougher decisions a mental health professional has to make.

How do you determine when or if you should alert police about a patient who may pose a danger to themselves or others, knowing that the patient is confiding in you?

The protocol is called "Duty to Warn" and it is one of the few circumstances when a mental health practitioner can break confidentiality and use their discretion when a patient makes a threat.

But a bill -- recently passed by the state Legislature and signed by Gov. Phil Murphy on June 13 -- upends the "Duty to Warn" guidelines and now requires mental health professionals in New Jersey to always call authorities when a suicide threat or a threat against another person is made.

"If someone is imminently suicidal, and there is no risk of guns, a large number of people are going to be reported to the chief of police unnecessarily," said James S. Wulach, a Springfield Township-based psychologist and the former president of the New Jersey Psychological Association (NJPA).

The intent of the bill, according to one of its sponsors, is to get guns out of the hands of anyone threatening harm to themselves or others. Under the bill, law enforcement can potentially take away the guns of patients who pose a threat or prevent them from obtaining firearms in the future.
    More at ...

2. livingston

The bill requires mental health professionals to contact authorities -- specifically the chief of police of the patient's local police department -- even if the patient does not reference firearms or has access to them.

3. livingston

The only sure way to know about any guns is if a swat team enters the house and does a sweep to make sure there are no firearms on premise

Drinkthekoolaid likes this.
  4. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

Collateral damage has always been acceptable to the gubbermint.

GOYABEAN likes this.
  5. NY Leatherneck

NY Leatherneck 6.5 Creedmoor U.S. Military

Even then no guarantee

Criticalt likes this.
  6. Drinkthekoolaid

Drinkthekoolaid .308 Win U.S. Military

Again... All this will do is 2 things.

1- it will discourage those from seeking help who need it and would benefit from it for fearing (and rightly so) that they will lose their guns
    1b- someone who was fine previously with treatment will end up off their treatment and sooner or later have a melt down.

2- take away more guns from more people

Nothing good, safe or helpful to anyone will come from this.

Criticalt likes this.
  7. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

Heres one of the biggest issues I have with these laws.
    What counts as a suicide threat or a threat to others?

" I am so tired of all the crap in this country, its just not worth it anymore."
    Is that a suicide threat?

"If anyone messes with my family they will be sorry."
    Is that a threat to hurt others?

There are soooooo many statements that an overzealous psychologist could take as a threat and, wham, you guns are gone.

As for me, ive never been to any sort of therapist and never will. Not because of these laws but because I know how to pull up my boot straps and get over shit.

8. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

lets fix this .. and say ..

9. livingston

Just say you are depressed ... That is all it will take ...

Criticalt likes this.