I too, have assembled my first lower...

Discussion in 'Long Guns - Rifles & Shotguns' started by Loworange88, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Loworange88

Loworange88 .38 Special

Here is my first build:
    Anderson Lower
    CMMG lpk
    Aero Precision buffer
    Magpul stock
    Mean Arms mag lock
    Anodized red trigger guard, and extended take down pins

This was actually pretty easy. The hardest part was the first pin on the bolt catch. I’m hoping to top it off with a completed .300BLK upper. I decided on a fixed mag AR because I have an Ares SCR. I get my mag changes with that. Plus I can swap the Ares upper with the .300, and not worry about the fixed mag.

Attached Files:

2. kev74

kev74 .308 Win

You'll shoot your eye out kid!!!

Nice work. The only problem is you'll want to build another.

NYGuns, ArmedCorgi and Loworange88 like this.
  3. Depick

Depick .44 mag

Nice! The red is a nice contrast and @kev74 is definitely right I’m just finishing one and I’m already thinking of building another. Keep the pics coming!

BDinPutnam, kev74 and Loworange88 like this.
  4. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

you should have got a 30 rnd mag and pinned it to 10 ;) get a means arm loader now ..

Loworange88 likes this.
  5. Loworange88

Loworange88 .38 Special

Yeah I kind of already do want to put another one together.

Here’s a pic with the upper from my Ares mounted. Too bad the Ares BCG won’t work with the traditional buffer....

Attached Files:

Drinkthekoolaid and Depick like this.
  6. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .223 Rem

I wasn't aware you could do that with an Ares (but I don't know much about them); do you just swap the BCG?

Nice build. I am usually not a fan of bright colors on rifles but the red looks nice.

7. Loworange88

Loworange88 .38 Special

The upper used on the Ares is a basic AR upper. The only thing different is the BCG. So I could drop a .300 upper on the Ares and just use their BCG and be good to go. If I were to buy a 7.62 x 39 let’s say, I could use the Ares BCG and replace the firing pin and bolt face. Or buy a dedicated BCG from Ares for the different caliber. Then if I wanted to use that upper on the regular AR, I’d remove the Ares BCG and use a traditional AR BCG in that upper and pit it on the AR lower.

I usually don’t like bright colors either, but this is subtle enough to where it’s not ghastly.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  8. JamieZ

JamieZ .45 acp

The 300blk upper will be your downfall. I built one,,,,took it to the range,,,,,brought it back home and sold it. Its only worthwhile in suppressor legal States. States. I personally cant see a reason to build anything different from what I have. A 204 Ruger- ripping fast, super accurate varmint killer. A 6.8 SPCll- A deer rifle. 223-Accurate varmint rifle that I can reload the cheapest (gets used the most).

Do you have any experience with the 300blk? If you dont, borrow one or something and take it to the range,,,,match it up against a 6.8 or something,,,,shoot at 200yds if possible.

Robin and Bullet Guy like this.
  9. NYGuns

NYGuns Administrator Staff Member Administrator Yearly Shot Winner

Congrats on the build, looking go so far.

Loworange88 likes this.
  10. Loworange88

Loworange88 .38 Special

Wow! You’re probably the first person I’ve heard(read) speak poorly of it. I work with a few guys who either have or have shot the .300 and all seem to like it. Perhaps I’ll see if I can borrow it and then try it out. I have thought about 6.5, or 6.8 as well. I can shoot out to 300 yards at my range. I’ve read it’s not super effective past 150 though.

11. JamieZ

JamieZ .45 acp

Bullet drop compared to a 6.8...... is 2 inches lower at 200yds and 30 inches lower at 500yds. I'm sure the info I just posted varies on the grain of the bullet used.

Your opinion might be different after shooting it compared to mine. Who knows,,,you might like it or like me you will hate it.

12. dsdmmat

dsdmmat Donut Master Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

For the reasons you stated in your first post the 300 BLK is a good option for you. As long as you stay within 200 yards the blackout will do what you want it to do. I have a few of them they are fun gong ringers and with the Barnes 115 grain TSX factory loads a good Home Defense round.

There have been a few documented mishaps with the 300BLK after the user chambered the round in a .223 and attempted to fire it. As long as you keep the two separated and don't allow novices to handle both at the same time you should be good. I would caution you to make both of your uppers different enough that you can immediately visually and physically tell the difference between the 2 different calibers. All of my 300 BLK AR type guns are fixed mag with a very different handguard than my 223 ARs.

If you reload the 300 BLK makes a lot of sense, the only thing you have to do is get a set of dies, a hobby chop saw, and 30 caliber bullets. You can find plenty of brass to convert at local ranges free. For some reason 223 AR owners like to leave piles of once fired of brass on the ground.

There are many other calibers to consider that still will fit in your SCR and the AR-15 platform but if you really want to play with some amazing calibers in an AR platform consider stepping up to the AR10/AR308 platform.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    BDinPutnam likes this.
  13. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

No. Not teally. I agree with him fully. 300 BO suck. They are just a 45acp with a long bullet (230gr etc subs). I have one that i use suppressed. Other than that build something better.