Legal Implements

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Airborneguy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

Does anyone know where I can find the specific descriptions of legal hunting implements? IE, broadhead descriptions, legal devices that can be on a bow, etc.

The DEC website doesn’t really go into detail. I searched some links they provide and either am missing something or its not there either.

I’m trying to find out if certain compound bows do not meet NY’s laws and if some of the newer electronic “aids” are legal (such as rangefinding sights).

2. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

I can look through the booklet as I just took the safety / certification course. I do remember them mentioning certain broadheads that were not approved, I believe.

I recall nothing about electronic aids other than rangefinder and such are encouraged so as not to miss vitals and wound vs a quick kill.

What type of compound bow are you referring to?

3. MilesTeg

MilesTeg .308 Win U.S. Military

Ya those broadheads had the blades hooking back wards so they can't be pulled out. I think that style was common WAY back in the day.

4. Airborneguy

The bows I’m looking at are definitely legal, but I’m looking at high let offs and I believe NY has a limit for let off. I just can’t find it anywhere.

Also some states have banned the range finding sights, just as they’re becoming more popular. I won’t buy one for a few years because they are real expensive but I definitely want one eventually.

5. Doc8404

Doc8404 .338 Win Mag

I'm sure you know that it is illegal to hunt "with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring) for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring,"

and

Q: I am an bowhunter and I want to switch from fixed blades to mechanical blades. How do I know which blades are legal?
    A: Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal for big game if the blades do not form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear. Most mechanical broadheads have a barbed profile when in the expanded (open) position. However, mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  6. Airborneguy

Yes that’s the simple bow description given on the DEC website. That can’t be the entirety of it though. If it is, I’m very surprised NY (of all states) doesn’t get more specific.

7. Doc8404

Doc8404 .338 Win Mag

I'm not a bowhunter, so i'm clueless and just searching LOL.

Barbed Broadheads Prohibited for Big Game
    Barbed broadheads are illegal for hunting big game. A barbed broadhead is one in which the angle formed between the trailing or rear edge of any blade and the shaft is less than 90 degrees. A notch at the base of the blade extending no more than 2 millimeters from the shaft shall not be considered a barb. Broadhead examples on the right compare one that is barbed to three that are legal. Broadheads with retractable blades are legal. Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear.

[​IMG]

Rifle, Shotgun, and Bow Areas - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

you're right, they don't get very specific. I even checked the CRR

Airborneguy likes this.
  8. Doc8404

Doc8404 .338 Win Mag

Airborneguy likes this.
  9. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

That's right. Broadheads cannot "barb" back.

10. GOYABEAN

GOYABEAN .450/400 Nitro Ex

I think they might be referring to these
    :ROFL:

But in all seriousness wouldn't you think that any tool like a range finder that can help someone make a quick accurate clean kill shot would be more than acceptable by today's standards were not talking star wars technology here it's not a guided arrow :ROFL:

11. MilesTeg

MilesTeg .308 Win U.S. Military

I think the let off issue has to do with the scoring criteria for the different systems.