Ruger sr22 issues

Discussion in 'Handguns - Pistols & Revolvers' started by Saltwater60, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

i bought the ruger sr22 and took it out shooting. I bought the upgraded TK recoil spring and brought with me the original part. I fired about 400 rounds through it. I had nothing, but issues. I think I had every issue imaginable. I had FTF, FTE stove pipes, double feeds, failure to extract, and failure to go boom. All failures to go boom had nearly 0 strike on the primer. I'd recock the hammer and it would shoot. I tried 3 different types of ammo and had issues on all 3. I tried Remington golden bullets, federal high velocity, and federal with box 325 packs. At the end it did get better with all issues, but it was nearly 60% failure rate at the start. Am I over reacting or do I have an issue. I've shot quite a few other pistols and had zero issues except some feeding issues with new mags on my kimber.
    I switched back to the original ruger recoil spring and it got better, but not great. I still had feeding and it seemed like more ejection issues. Feeding issues was the main issue also many times I pulled the trigger and the round would not fire. Feeding issues was at times nearly every round. At the very end it seemed to improve dramatically. Like the last 3-4 mags. Same box of federal white box ammo. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did take it apart clean it and lube it before firing.

2. Calculon

Calculon .223 Rem

I wish I had an answer for you. I've had zero issues with my SR22 pistol. At this point I'd run another box through it and see if it continues to improve. If you get a few hundred rounds through and still issues I'd call Ruger and send it in for service. Very unusual.

3. NYGuns

NYGuns Administrator Staff Member Administrator Monthly Shot Winner

The SR22 takes a little time to break in. I was getting a decent amount of FTF's and FTE's when I first got mine, they started to be few and far between the more I shot it. For the heck of it I ordered Tandemkross spring and made the mistake of not bringing the original spring with me when I went shooting. The new Tandemkross had about a 90% failure rate and was pretty pissed. I contacted them and they sent out replacement, but I didn't have high hopes. The replacement has been perfect, I don't think I've had 1 FTE or FTF with it. At this point my SR22 also has over 3,500 rounds through it.

I would contact TK and get another spring, but in the meantime keep shooting w/ the stock spring. CCI has always worked the best in my SR22, but it has shot everything I've fed it.

dsdmmat likes this.
  4. cardinalny

cardinalny 9mm

I have had absolutely zero problems with my SR22. Eats any kind of Ammo I feed it. Contact Ruger and send it back. They will fix whatever is wrong with your pistol. But make sure you send it back with the original spring, not your replacement spring

5. foolinwfire

foolinwfire .38 Special

Got about 6 - 700 rounds through mine, stock, with 0 gun issues! I've had a couple of ammo issues with failure to fire with multiple strikes and a really light round with a failure to eject. Love my SR22, great plinking gun!

6. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

Well that's good to hear. I have heard of a few issues with TK springs and getting them swapped out with improvement. I will contact them because it improved by about 50% after swapping it out to the stock spring.
    I do have hope since the last few mags seemed to get a lot better. I just never had an issue with a pistol so I did not know how to proceed.
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate you guys.

How long did you SR22 take to brake in NY GUNS.

7. Jmac

Jmac 9mm

Had TK on my SR 22 had zero issues, works like a charm

8. NYGuns

Honestly I don't remember, I have more rounds through that gun than any other gun now though. I clean and lubricate it after every range session though.

9. Darth

Darth .338 Win Mag

Only issues I've ever had with my SR22 is crap ammo (Thunderbolts, Fed bulk pack that had been left in the rain for days), or, on rare occasions, when I used to use Rem Oil, the interface between the hammer and the slide would get too much friction...as the crap RemOil evaporated. I could replicate it with a slow slide pull back. Now, I never have that with Ballistol.

But the last time I took my SR22 out, a few weekends ago to show my parents how to hold a pistol as they just got their CCWs, I was reminded I had FORKING THUNDERBOLTS in my speedloader for it! (It's been a while with her...I've been using my SR22 Victory a lot.) Luckily my Victory got me nice small groups, and 100% reliability.

I despise Thunderbolts, but love the NEW Golden Bullets. Old Golden Bullets sucked.

10. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

I contacted tandem kross and I can't say enough about them. They sent me a new one out the next day. I recieved the new one and noticed it's a lot tighter than the last one. The last spring the slide moved to the rear very easy. This spring seems better to me. They also said they recently changed the spring design. I'm hoping it's not bad spring steel since I feel like the new spring listened up already from just racking the slide a few times. It's tighter than the old one and one par with the manufacturers oem part. We shall see it will be a bit before I get to shoot it.

NYGuns likes this.
  11. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

I complained to tandemkross and they were super polite about it. They sent a new recoil spring out right away, told me to ship the other one back, and said they changed the spring design a few weeks before I complained. They either sent me the old spring or the new design is bad. It still does not work. I figured out that the spring losens up very quickly and then the slide does not move all the way forward. So when I fire the hammer strikes the firing pin, but the slide moves to the rear and does not set off the round. If I manually bring the hammer back it goes off. I'm sure I'm pushing the slide forward. So I tried it a bunch of times after every round fired I pressed on the slide to make it go into battery and worked every time. I said f this and switched back to rugers recoil spring and rod no issues except a few failures to feed on the second round. Maybe 3 out of 150 rounds. TK failure to fire rate is about 50%. Not acceptable. I will be complaining again.

12. NYGuns

Sorry to hear. Let us know how it goes.

13. Darth

Darth .338 Win Mag

Send to Ruger. No ifs ands or buts.

If that fails, it's you. (Not a dig, just a diagnostic.)

Don't "upgrade" (lol) to anything. Seriously. There are defensive pistol companies. Yeah, the 22 "might" not be, but these companies are defensive pistol companies. When they test them, they test them so they work.

No sense in making a life or death device "good", but it will "really" save your life next time, with the new "upgraded" package. .

I've never personally understood upgrading defensive pistols.

Target pistols, yes, but still use the same philosophy. The springs are probably A-OK.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  14. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

The gun shot great when I switched back to the stock spring so I don't think it's the gun. I only had a few failure to feed the second round on federal HV. The SV ccI I had no feeding issues. I think it's the TK spring. I read some reviews on the TK spring and that is an issue mentioned. Most reviews of it are great, but a few report weak spring like I have found. Seems like it's cheap spring steel that losses its memory. I'll probably ask for a refund, but we will see.

15. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

I contacted TK and they said it's an issue with their spring. They are seeing it a lot. They are switching suppliers. Sure they should have caught it, but I respect their honesty. They will send me a new one when the product testing is complete. Hey they stand by their products. Now if only they made them right the first time.

NYGuns likes this.
  16. NYGuns

At least they admitted it and are trying to fix it, good to hear some companies still take pride in their products and service! Let us know how it goes....as crazy as it sounds, I went to the range last week with my sr22 and TK spring and started getting FTE's again. Going to give it a good cleaning and oiling and try again. I will bring the stock spring too.

Saltwater60 likes this.
  17. Phauxtoe

Phauxtoe .308 Win

have you been cleaning it?
    400 rounds of some 22LR could choke a garbage truck!

18. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

I start off every time with the TK recoil spring then switch to the ruger and shoot more. The ruger works better so if it was just dirty the ruger spring would work worse. Good thought though because after the first round of shooting it was horrifically dirty.

19. NYGuns

Just a heads up that I contacted Tandemkross regarding the faulty spring because I experienced a few failures and they have a new design out now which they sent me to replace the faulty one. I brought it to the range tonight and gave it the test and it passed. I tried different ammo, rapid fire, slow fire, etc,. couldn't get the gun to jam or hiccup at all. In my opinion, TK fixed their issue. For anyone who has issues with their spring, I recommend you contact TK. Their customer service has been great and the new spring works well.

Old on right
    upload_2017-10-30_21-0-23.png

Old on right
    upload_2017-10-30_21-0-17.png

dsdmmat likes this.
  20. BlackDragon

BlackDragon 9mm

Tandemkross sent me the wrong spring the first time. It fit and functioned, but wasn't correct. the guide rod was too long and the spring was wonky, just like the pic above of the spring on the right. Took two weeks and some sissy whining to get a new one. Customer service wasn't the greatest.

My sr22 eats anything. Wrong spring, right spring, stock spring, all good. I can put 1k rounds of bulk ammo through it and it will still keep on shooting. Some rounds need a second strike, but that's the ammo.

21. BlackDragon

BlackDragon 9mm

20171028_112213.jpg pics for reference 20171028_112553.jpg 20171011_210213.jpg

22. Darth

Darth .338 Win Mag

23. Airborneguy

Airborneguy 6.5 Creedmoor LEO / LEA

I just got one of these for free yesterday, fired 3 times. I can’t wait to take it out. I may try to go tomorrow after my overtime if I am not overly tired.

dsdmmat likes this.