Safe Dehumidifiers

Discussion in 'Ammo, Reloading & Accessories' started by WileyX585, Jul 10, 2018.

1. WileyX585

WileyX585 .357 mag

So I just took delivery of my new safe yesterday, and am curious to see what you guys use for Dehumidifiers? I've done some research online and found every answer possible. Looking for some input here. Thanks!

2. ArmedCorgi

ArmedCorgi .338 Win Mag

I use these. One in each safe. They seem to do a decent job. You have to check them and plug them into an outlet when they need to be recharged. I don't have an outlet near my safes to plug in one of the dehumidifier bars, plus I'm not sure how much I want something continuously plugged in like that.
    E-333 Renewable Dehumidifier

Doc8404 and S&W Fan like this.
  3. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .450/400 Nitro Ex

If in a garage, really hard to control. If in a basement, off the floor and away from an exterior wall. I have a general purpose dehumidifier in the same room as my safe, zero corrosion problems. If safe is in a full time air conditioned space you might not need a safe dehumidifier either.

A good investment is a small electronic thermometer/hygrometer in the safe area to see what the temperature and humidity are actually doing.

Desiccant (chemical H2O absorbing media) have to be baked out from time to time and you have to monitor them. Good for short term dehumidification.

The low temp/low heat Golden Rod dehumidifiers keep the moisture out of the safe by raising the temperature and driving out the moisture (actually the relative humidity goes down).

Too dry and you dry out the wood.

4. togmaster

togmaster .338 Win Mag

A 60 watt incandescent light bulb will do a better job than any dehumidifier you can buy.

Doc8404 likes this.
  5. WileyX585

WileyX585 .357 mag

It's in my office, on the concrete slab, interior wall. There is power inside the safe, as I have a light kit installed as well. 20180709_143254.jpg

6. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

DampRid

but if you are a cat owner .. Liberty Safe just might come out with one with a pet door ..
    Gabby Franco

[​IMG]

7. libertysnake

libertysnake 6.5 Creedmoor

I've had good success with the golden rod and just making sure even things I haven't shot in a while gets oiled at least once a year, even if it's not dirty.

Deplorable Me likes this.
  8. C3D

C3D .223 Rem

Goldenrod is the only way to go.

PS, thanks for the photo of the safe and its location . . . You may want to delete that!

9. Target

Target .44 mag

You may not have noticed the plywood faux wall panels on the floor that are usually in place hiding the safe .

We have some of the dehumidifiers as seen in the 1st post. I uh them in once a month. seem to do OK.