Seneca lake fishing anyone.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Saltwater60, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

I’m looking to catch a big perch or two that I keep hearing about and I’d love to catch a salmon or lake trout. I love fishing and have never caught a salmon or laker. I have kayaks and will likely try to use some jigging spoons. I know I have a chance to catch any of the three on a jigging spoon. Just looking for a little advice. We’re staying at Sampson state park. Let me know what you have.

I know kayak fishing for Lakers and salmon are not the best, but it’s what I have.

2. GUNSICK

GUNSICK .223 Rem

My advice is cold beer. Always makes fishing better!

3. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Might not be any help but there is a few old tug boats in the Dresden area. One right off the boat launch in roughly 70ft and another in 200ft of water to the left of the launch. I use to see huge Perch on these wrecks while diving all the time.

4. innkeeper

innkeeper .40 S&W

Do you know anything about train cars sunk off salt point just above Watkins? Would think that would be a good spot. Had heard there are a few of them at about 70ft. Don’t remember where I heard it though

5. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

I heard there is a plane in the middle as well. I heard it’s really far down though.

All I can do is try right?

6. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Didnt have many dives in Seneca, maybe 30 and most were between 200 and 300ft,,, shit that people were not experienced enough to dive on.

7. innkeeper

innkeeper .40 S&W

Those are deep dives for most recreational divers especially if a wreck is involved. I haven’t dove in years but want to get back to it. The pic in my avatar is a 300’ tanker named the MV Newtown Creek. She was renamed the Lady Luck and sunk in 120’ off pompino beack Fla as a dive spot. I sailed as engineer on her for 15 years till she was layed up

HighlandLofts likes this.
  8. livingston

livingston .450/400 Nitro Ex

I find Seneca lake perplexing ... I make a run from Penn Yan to Geneva..... Sat and Sundays and I hardly ever see anyone on the lake .. During the trout Derby I see a number of boats on the water but other times making that stretch of road hardly ever see any boats much less fishing. I talked to a man in Geneva that fishes a fair amount and he says the fishing is not as good as 20 years ago ..Too clear .. Perhaps farther down the lake ... It is better.

9. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

I hear the same. That’s why I was asking on here. I hear the last 5 years the fishing has declined a lot.

10. innkeeper

innkeeper .40 S&W

The zebra muscles take a lot of nutrients out of the water. It clears the water up but decimates the ecosystem.

You could look into fishing Waneta and Lamoka lakes. There is a state boat launch site between the two on route 23 east of Hammondsport

11. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Use to fish Waneta and Lamoka all the time when I was a kid. My buddies mother and grandmother owned a house/cottage on the lake. Always remember wanting to catch the big Musky but mostly caught big Pickerel, Bass and major drunkenness. Holy crap we did a lot of drinking at the beater Bar across the lake while underage. So much fun!!!

12. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

That’s an hour drive each way. That won’t work for my group. Thanks though.
    We are only going Saturday morning until Monday morning and we will go camping and fishing with a bunch of folks. If they are not in for a two hour drive then 4 hours of fishing it just won’t work. I know they won’t want to put that much time into it. I don’t mind putting that much time in.

13. innkeeper

innkeeper .40 S&W

Seneca is a cold lake and can turn on you quickly as far as boating conditions go. Keep an eye on the weather.

I have a guest trailering up their boat this weekend. Not sure which lake they’re doing though

Saltwater60 likes this.
  14. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Thanks I would not have thought of that since it’s a smaller inland lake. I will stay close to shore and always wear a life preserver.

innkeeper likes this.
  15. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Windy choppy and muddy as hell yesterday. About 10 of us went and well my son was the only one to catch a fish. 10” large mouth. He had a monster on running out drag, but lost it. He had just dropped it in and wasn’t ready. He was disappointed of course. I will likely try again tonight as it seems to be calming down. Still windy and choppy today.

16. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Not much luck boys. My some caught I think it’s one of those shads and a blue gill.

I had a nice bass 18-20” chasing mine, a pole chasing and 2 bass one. Lost them both. I tried a new floating frog. It shows some promise.

No one else in our group caught a thing.my son was fishing with worms, but many adults and older kids were too. He’s pretty good at fishing honestly.

17. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .308 Win

Not that it helps but the first time I ever went fishing was Seneca and I caught a Northern Pike from the dock.

It's a shame about the zebra muscles. I love Seneca lake though

18. Phauxtoe

Phauxtoe .338 Win Mag

was just out in Ohio with the boy and a friend, this was just one of the fish...
    biggestToday.jpg

Saltwater60 and GOYABEAN like this.