U.S. judge orders federal protection restored to Yellowstone grizzlies!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by GOYABEAN, Sep 24, 2018.

1. GOYABEAN

GOYABEAN .450/400 Nitro Ex

Only reason is because of Trump o_O

f4ffe0ed5b538ebde04d999560afce8e4b244087_medium.jpg
    PINEDALE, Wyo. - A federal judge on Monday ordered Endangered Species Act protections restored to grizzly bears in and around Yellowstone National Park, halting plans for the first licensed trophy hunts of the region's grizzlies in more than 40 years.

T-Mobile

Doc8404 likes this.
  2. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

another Judge making law again .. .. the way its going i can't wait till Kav gets on SCOTUS and just goes off making up his own laws like all the others ;) LOL

GOYABEAN likes this.
  3. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

A team of experts that have devoted their lives to the subject give the hunt an okay within the restrictions they provided. A judge with zero experience in the field of wildlife biology cancels the hunt, and indirectly cites his own vast experience on the subject. Sounds like a Shoomer candidate for the supremes.
    Robin

GOYABEAN likes this.
  4. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .450/400 Nitro Ex

I thought protecting bear arms was already covered under the second amendment, they got their own lobby group now?

GOYABEAN likes this.
  5. Greywood

Greywood 9mm

Grizzlies are cool and taste like shit! So why hunt them? For a trophy?

GOYABEAN likes this.
  6. GOYABEAN

It's all in the seasoning and if hunting them gives a boost to the local economy it's a win win :beer:

7. Greywood

Greywood 9mm

It wouldn't be a big enough boost. I'm just not a fan of bear or big cat hunting. I don't see them as game animals.

8. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

I have zero interest in hunting griz, but have zero against anyone that chooses to. However hunting the country where the grizzlies live is another thing, just beautiful!!!!
    Robin

GOYABEAN likes this.
  9. Greywood

Greywood 9mm

I could understand it if they were as common as black bear. I'm not gonna say it's wrong or your a horrible person for hunting them ,but I may ask why.
    Hunting in griz country is beautiful! Just make sure they don't sneak up on you when your gutting that elk!

GOYABEAN likes this.
  10. GOYABEAN

Yeah maybe not game animals but definitely top predatory nuisance animal lot's of people and livestock have been taken out by these majestic animals :confused:

11. Greywood

Greywood 9mm

I totally understand if a bear is killing livestock! As for people I don't really feel bad. Your in their territory and you know they're there so don't be surprised if one eats you....lol!

GOYABEAN likes this.
  12. @thewheels

@thewheels .223 Rem

Never tasted grizzly but the black bear I've tried was pretty damn good.

The judge wasn't going to let this happen. He read two studies and magically interpreted both to uphold his preconceived ideas.
    UP TO 23 bears in a population of roughly 2000? Right...They'll be extinct in a week.

GOYABEAN likes this.
  13. GOYABEAN

Only thing in his mind was that Trump wanting to change a Obama administration decision nothing else he could 3 shits about the bears :2cents: :violin:

GOPerfect likes this.
  14. @thewheels

@thewheels .223 Rem

Maybe...but the article said that de-listing the bears was formally proposed in Bammer's term in 2016 so who knows.

15. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .338 Win Mag LEO / LEA

Me? I am more than okay with this ruling.

16. GOYABEAN

Correct but he never signed a act to removing them I believe.

17. Upstate43

Upstate43 .40 S&W

Bear taste pretty decent as long as they haven't been feeding exclusively on fish piles and carrion.

As for hunting them, all animals which are not endangered or migratory waterfowl are managed by the states. The Yellowstone grizzly met de-listing criteria several years ago. Fish and Wildlife has tried several times to de-list them and transition them to state management (the initial attempts were made during the Bush and Obama administrations), but have been countered by lawsuits from the usual suspects (animal rights groups, self-proclaimed conservation groups). The state agencies had already developed very detailed harvest strategies and quota's for the grizzly in Idaho and Wyoming before this most recent legal challenge prohibited the hunt.

There is about zero chance of these animals being hunted back into extinction. The state agencies involved (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho) have extensive experience managing animals, including some vulnerable species (like moose, big horn sheep and wolves) and none of those groups have any desire to see those animals be put back on the ESA list.

The grizzly bear population will eventually spill over into ranch and farmlands (it already has in some areas) and hunting will be needed to remove bears from incompatible habitat.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    GOYABEAN likes this.