Went to Burt Dam fishing yesterday

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Saltwater60, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Man what a shit show that was. A friend kept wanting me to go fishing so I said yeah I’ll go. It could be interesting. Well interesting it was.

There was a group of Russians and Bangladesh people and they were just snagging and keeping everything. One nice brown trout was snagged rightnin the dorcel fin and he was fighting it so I yelled loudly don’t worry it’s fouled hooked anyway you can’t keep it. Right on the stringer it went.

I was fishing at the dam and this lady and her son walked within 2 feet of me and both cast right in front of me. I said really right in front of me. Oh, oh it was an accident. Yeah right.

So I moved down stream and we all foul hooked fish. The 2 guys I was with hooked into 2 salmon each and we let them go. I caught in the fin about an 8lbs brown and let that go. It was fun fighting it anyway. One guy saw a brown sitting in the slow water and said man that fish is calling to me. I said go for it. He let his line float down and snagged it. The Russian guy next to me anytime a brown trout swam by he would “roll cast” like crazy or just attempt to snag fish. It was pretty frustrating to see all these people snagging and keeping fish. I wouldn’t eat shot from there anyway, but I’d have liked to catch a salmon. I foul hooked one and just yanked it out of its back.

More people kept illegal fish than anyone caught legal fish. It was insane.

What was cool as hell was seeing 25-30 lbs salmon jump literally right in front of you. One literally jumped on my line. I hooked onto a big one for about 30 seconds then it spit the hook. I saw some of the biggest fish I’ve ever seen in my life. At least the largest concentration of big fish in one place.

Also the one guy I was with Hooked a salmon in the back and he didn’t even hook the fish he hooked a flu on its back. We released it and I removed 2 flies stuck in its back.

2. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock .308 Win

Yet many wonder why the need for fish and wildlife officers.

3. thegatman

thegatman .223 Rem

And 53 fishing licenses were not counted.

4. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

I can’t believe I didn’t see a DEC officer. Every yahoo was out their breaking the law. The Russians were the worst. The kid next to me was nice. He was appalled as well. It was discouraging to see how horrible people are and how they can rape nature like that. It’s so easy to snag them. I put a gold spinner on since that’s what I’m used to using for steelhead and I ran into probably 20 salmon. All I needed to do was jerk my rod and I’d have snagged them even with a single hook. I changed rather quickly because I felt it was spooking the fish.

Many Bangladesh people had a hook with a single eggs and a large 1/2-3/4 ounce weight right at the hook eye so no fish would ever bite that. They were dragging it along and jerking it at anything they felt. They were snagging fish for sure. Plus if I remember correctly you can’t have a weight within 1/2” of your hook, but in not sure on that.

5. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

Its all about the have to get results and catch fish crowd,if you go there to fish it isnt what I would call fishing.I used to salmon fish and snag them but gave it up,sorta like got to try it once in your life sport but grew old fast.Now I love ice fishing,hunting down first ice to get the best bite.Still get alot of fisherman then but what you catch you definitely earn.

6. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

They know that crap is going on.
    Robin

7. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

I watched a parade of Amish buggies going into the fish hatchery in Pulaski just before dark a few years ago, slews full of fish, nobody but them there.

Saltwater60 likes this.
  8. holdover

holdover .308 Win U.S. Military LEO / LEA

I went to Burts dam once. Once. there was literally one person every ten feet on both sides , Got my line crossed and tangled every cast . EVERY CAST! Nope , not my thing . never been back

Robin likes this.
  9. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

10 feet man you had good space. I only got tangled up twice, but I was an arms length away from people at the damn. Down stream it was 10 feet between fishermen. I’m not sure I’ll go again during salmon season. I heard oak or hard creek is much better.

10. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

Go down in January and February for steelies, lots of room and way better fish.

I never understood why people want to catch a dying salmon up by the damn, they're useless.

Saltwater60 and Jezman like this.
  11. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

You ever been to waterport damn on oak orchard? That place may be worse the way it's layed out.

12. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

Ive Steel-headed Oak in February and there was only a few people there and did good on egg sacks.But that was many years ago now aint nothing secret up there,heard its a joke for salmon.Hard to tell if its blown out unless you know/have friends up there or drive the 2 hours and find out for yourself.

13. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

I live 10 minutes from Burt damn and about 30 from waterport, I have never seen a crowd winter steelheading, it ain't for everyone.
    I'll add I don't go on weekends.

14. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

I only fished the dam a couple times,had a rabied raccoon almost attack my brother there last time I was up.If it wasnt for a huge stick laying nearby the coon would or ran up his leg and started on his face.I love winter fishing,but just stick to the Susquehanna river now.Fish the eddies when they freeze for walleye,pulled 53 keepers out last year but it was real early ice with the cold we had.Was fishing by mid December usually its only safe after Christmas.

15. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

Now that sounds like fun.

I will go back in a few weeks or so for steelhead. I’m getting used to drifting egg sacks. Never was my preferred method of fishing, but did it for a few hours this weekend and had some really good drifts.

16. RayKnobs

RayKnobs .45 acp

Russians keep the eggs for fake knock off caviar.

17. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

At the oak best technique I had was standing on the wall and casting (egg sack) to the far side shore and actually/manually dragging it back out of the slower water till it caught the drift.Basically just keep it moving through the slower water where others would let it slack,it outfished my buddy that way and he was a big time stealhead fan.I got the walleye bug now and once you get that there is no other fish that compares.Spring/Winter time its a slaughter,never as good as the fall bite as some say is the best.

18. speedkills27

speedkills27 .223 Rem

Didnt they arrest a whole poaching ring at Burt a few years back? Russians snagging fish and either selling to restaurants or using them in their own restaurants?
    My brother and I call Burt damn battle fishing. The stupidity there is strong there. not my cup of tea

Saltwater60 likes this.
  19. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

I remember that bust,people were whacking and stacking them at night.Oh yea I seen the Russians the couple times I fished Pulaski,always wondered why they were there.Sandy creek is the little gem I liked to fish,had to catch them when they were in like after a rain but that creek was unreal.Heres a link to the bust with a pic of all 69 of the salmon.

New York Fish Poachers Caught with 69 Snagged Salmon

20. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

I wish we could bow fish them.

Robin likes this.
  21. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

That would be a pay to view premier spotlight show,would love to see that carnage.They would have to put a trauma doctor at every major spot.

22. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .338 Win Mag

The Russians or the salmon??

23. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

Both, I actually had a Russian try and weasel his way in front of me at a small hole. He told me to stand back farther because I was scaring the fish I was catching one after another. I asked him if he ever saw a bear standing back at a fishing hole and he wandered on his way.:ROFL:

Saltwater60 likes this.
  24. livingston

livingston .450/400 Nitro Ex

Salmon poachers charged after early morning chase near Burt Dam
    Salmon poachers charged after early morning chase near Burt Dam
    Three men suspected of poaching during the annual salmon run were arrested early Wednesday morning near Burt Dam in Newfane.

The incident occurred just after 2 a.m. when DEC environmental conservation officers were conducting a night patrol along the Lake Ontario shoreline and its tributaries.

Officers Roger Ward and Nathan Ver Hague were checking the Burt Dam area of 18-mile Creek in Newfane when they noticed several large garbage bags piled on a pathway. The officers inspected the bags and found them loaded with freshly caught salmon.

At the same time, a pickup truck slowly drove by the area. Two men approached on foot and Officer Ward revealed himself and ordered the men to stop. The men took off running through the woods. Ward apprehended one suspect hiding in the brush, but as Officer Ver Hague chased the other down to the creek, the man dove in and swam off. The Niagara County Sheriff’s Office was called for assistance.

Deputy Matt Grainge responded and located a pickup truck a short distance away matching the description given by the DEC officers. The driver was sitting inside awaiting a call from the other two men.

25. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

WTF are they gonna do with them? I would have to be starving to eat those, I think I'd eat the ass out of a dead skunk first.

26. speedkills27

speedkills27 .223 Rem

yup thats the one I was thinking of, apparently its a much bigger ring than just these 2 guys too.

27. FrankenCub

FrankenCub 6.5 Creedmoor

I don't see how anyone can fish like that. I haven't fished that dam, but have fished the Salmon River in Polaski several time with a friend before he died. I never went back. Too many people packed together. I never even caught anything lol.
    I decided going after Lakers in my boat was much more fun.

camper4lyfe and Robin like this.
  28. Yeti

Yeti .40 S&W

You should see it where I ice fish,alot of people stretched out on shelves of ice.Buddy made a mistake showed a big walleye he caught to other fisherman,next day we lost our spot.Rule number one never be a braggard and keep the fish in the shanty or get the rath of a Potlicker.

Potlicker

A potlicker in fishing is a man who is too lazy to go find fish on his own, so he looks for someone who is already on fish and then he moves into that man's spot. He potlicks, he's a lazy bastard who depends on what others find or leave him.
    We had just started putting some fish in the boat when some damn potlicker sees us catching fish. So he drives up and anchors just 20 yards off our bow and begins to cast towards the spot we found.