.308 Kel-Tec Bullpup !

Discussion in 'Long Guns - Rifles & Shotguns' started by GOYABEAN, Feb 5, 2018.

1. GOYABEAN

GOYABEAN .338 Win Mag

o_O
    An Accurate .308, Forward-Ejecting Bullpup: Kel-Tec RFB — Full Review
    by CLAY MARTIN on FEBRUARY 4, 2018
    Related Tags: .308, .308 Win., Buzz, Feature Articles, Kel-Tec, Military, Rifle, Self-Defense, Tactical

I am not generally a fan of bullpup designs, it is just not my flavor. I understand many people are, and for a variety of reasons. Some just like that they are different. Some like the full-length barrel in a compact package, also a valid point. Some like the concept of a rifle that handles like an SBR, without the need for tax stamps. I get that too. The soldier in me just can’t get behind it though. I see bullpups as a novelty, but not a replacement for rifles. I don’t care if the Brits carry them, they also sip tea. I’ll take tactical advice from the Redcoats the day I am wearing a toe tag.

[​IMG]
    Kel Tec RFB, far from its native habitat.

Kel-Tec RFB
    Still, I was curious about this one. If nothing else, I generally like everything Kel-Tec produces. Kel-Tec is the most outside the box thinking company in the industry, and more importantly, their designs go bang. The strange design is very much preferable to unreliable, and Kel-Tec can never be accused of cookie cutter replica guns. I have already made an exception to my no bullpups policy for the KSG shotgun, so this was worth a look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out Clay’s review of the KSG-25.
    The RFB is chambered in 308 Winchester, which gives you quite a lot of gun in a small package. With an 18-inch barrel, which our test model was wearing, the overall length is 26 inches. A 24-inch barrel is also available, increasing the size to 36 inches. Unloaded weight is 8.1 pounds, not bad for this caliber.

[​IMG]

This is not the first foray of Kel Tec into the bullpup market. In addition to the KSG shotgun, Kel Tec also created the RDB line years back. The names are so close, I called the RFB the RDB several times during the video portion of this review. What, exactly, is the difference? RDB stands for rifle, down, bullpup, describing the platform and how it ejects empty casings. The RDB ejects empties down, which is a pretty unique design itself.

The RFB, in a radical departure from everything, stands for rifle, forward, bullpup. It actually ejects rounds out the front of the handguard, which takes some getting used to. Talk about a feat of engineering! There is a small tray under the outer polymer shell, which feeds empty shell casings toward the muzzle. When you get enough of them stacked up, they start falling free. Without fail, every time I lowered the gun after shooting and brass fell on the ground, I looked at the rifle to see if it was broken. It is a very weird concept, but it works as advertised.

SPECS:
    • Cartridge: .308
    • Capacity: 20+1 rds.
    • Overall length: 26 in.
    • Barrel Length: 18 in.
    • Twist Rate: 1:11-in. rate
    • Trigger Pull: 5 lbs.
    • MSRP: $1,929
    [​IMG]
    The trigger was the biggest surprise, as most bullpup triggers are abysmal. The RFB is shockingly good. Very little take-up, almost no over travel, I would actually say it is better than a standard AR. Kel Tec says it is 5 pounds, and my trigger gauge says slightly more. But in use, it feels like neither. It could have been just that it exceeded expectations, but I was mystified every time I dropped the hammer. It is that good.

Accuracy was also well beyond the expected. I have never tried a Kel-Tec rifle, so I was basing accuracy standards on other bullpups, and battle rifles. I would have been happy with a 3 MOA or better group. I slapped the good old NightForce 7-35X scope on, broke out the new foam action shooting sports blocks, and away we went.

The blocks were important since you can’t put a bipod on the RFB. There is a separate review of the foam action blocks coming up, but they are awesome. The RFB turned in a just over a 1 MOA group, measuring right at 1&1/8th inches from 100 meters. Very impressive for this style of rifle. Also, this might be the first time ever that a $4,000 scope was used on a Kel-Tec.

Lasting Impressions
    After the initial accuracy test, I switched to an optic that is a better fit for a mid-range rifle. I had Night Force 1-8 short dot scopes on hand, so it seemed like a winning idea. The combination proved a winner, as I worked steel at distance and up close paper targets. The RFB ran without a hiccup, eating everything thing I fed it.

[​IMG]

In a couple hundred rounds of testing, only two things came up. First, I had trouble getting the magazine to seat, and not just when it was full. This is probably more a training issue than a design flaw, but know ahead of time, you have to rock the mag in like an M-14. The second was the recoil impulse. There is a bit of recoil, and it moves in a weird direction. I would classify it as low and right instead of high and right, which feels a little strange. It’s not better or worse than a similar size AR, it is just different.

If you like bullpups, or just want a weapon that is from off the beaten path, the Kel Tec RFB is a winner. If nothing else, it is big bore firepower that will fit under the seat in a Honda Civic.

For more information about Kel-Tec, click here.

An Accurate .308, Forward-Ejecting Bullpup: Kel-Tec RFB — Full Review - GunsAmerica Digest

Exonautic and CaseHardened like this.
  2. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

There is one hanging on the wall at one of the shops I go to. Or was, its been a long time since I've been in there.

Exonautic likes this.
  3. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

The only thing about bullpups that turned me off from ever trying one is the location of the magwell. It would just seem so unnatural to me to load so close to my body considering you have to break contact with you shoulder.

4. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Not only that, but the damage done to your ear. The damage isn't all from the concussion coming in through the ear hole, the concussion also comes through the bones in contact with the receiver. Seems the closer you are to the chamber the more intense that is going to be. Having one of these for a weekly range gun would take its toll.
    Robin

5. UltraT

UltraT .357 mag

Yes! I've always thought about that with regards to bullpups, but never experienced it myself. Seems like it would be pretty bad in .308, but I would guess 5.56 shouldn't be too bad.

I like Kel-Tec's ideas, but I've seen some really bad failures online of their equipment. Still not sure what to think of their products in general.

Willjr75 likes this.
  6. Willjr75

Willjr75 .450/400 Nitro Ex U.S. Military

I had an SKS Bullpup. I never had damage or concussion to my ear after hundreds of rounds downrange and all I ever wore was a pair of Oakley's and foam plugs.

I didn't wear the whole yellow Tom Selleck glasses, foam plugs, and huge Mickey Mouse earmuffs that many like to wear.

No issues. I pass my hearing test every year at work with flying colors.

[​IMG]

7. Podmonkey

I've never like the bullpup manual of arms either. Notice how most nations that adopted bullpups are switching back to conventional guns. Hell the freaking FRENCH are replacing the FAMAS. With a an H&K 416 variant no less, and the FAMAS was probably the best bullpup of them all. I guarantee you that when the time comes for the Israelis to replace the TAVOR it won't be with another bullpup. I think the only bullpup design I'd care to use is the P90, and that is fairly unique in its layout.

GOYABEAN likes this.
  8. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Its cumulative Will and will show up later.
    Robin

9. Willjr75

10. Podmonkey

How old are you anyway? I'm turning 40 in a bit here but I'm already deaf as a post. Maybe it has something to do with having been in Artillery? Then getting a job running a chainsaw.

11. Willjr75

I'll be 43 in July. I wear foam plugs at work too. I don't know if your job checks your hearing but when they do mine, i close my eyes. When you close your eyes, you hear better with no distractions.

12. Podmonkey

Its part of my annual DOT phys. But the Doc (or PA or what have you) Just whispers numbers behind my ears. Loudly. Its high frequency sound I have trouble with. Gets lost in the tinnitus.

Robin likes this.
  13. Willjr75

That's ghetto. What kind of a test is that? They don't lock you in a box and give you a clicker to click when you hear the beeps?

14. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

That's how they do my DOT physical here, the whisper, it's stupid really.
    Now my company provides that every two years and a company physical every two years, so I get the ghetto one one year and the Cadillac the next. The caddy gets me in he box with the clicker. Funny thing is it's in the same medical office as the DOT, I stopped asking questions a long time ago.

15. gun_slinger_boy

gun_slinger_boy .223 Rem

Those have been around a while and I've had one for about a year I think? In my opinion it's a very good rifle. It handles recoil phenomenally and is very reliable. One of the best parts is that the casings land in a nice little pile in front of me for recovery. Here is mine in action.

GOYABEAN, Willjr75 and Podmonkey like this.
  16. freddy

freddy 6.5 Creedmoor

Fuck me!

GOYABEAN and gun_slinger_boy like this.
  17. Prudii

Prudii .45 acp

I'm on the waiting list for a RDB. I know Kel Tec gets lots of shit but they are one of the few companies that actually seems to be innovative these days. It's gets tiresome to see the same AR platform rifles over and over again. They are also one of the only companys that had released NY legal semiautos that aren't just gimped ARs. That alone is enough to get me to purchase one of their products.

18. Willjr75

I'm holding off for the RDB-C. That's the reason I haven't bought anything else and just have a PCC for now.

19. Prudii

Prudii .45 acp

I'm trying to get my father to get one.

On a side note my advice is to go to your favorite gunstore now and ask to be put on an order list if they show up at distributors. Kel Tec is really bad about production rates.

Willjr75 likes this.
  20. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .223 Rem

I hate that there is a kel tec gun out that I want -_-

21. gun_slinger_boy

gun_slinger_boy .223 Rem

You'll be ok lol.

22. Shoots100

Shoots100 9mm

I was going to wait for the 6.5 Grendel version to arrive to get one, but I might be worm bait before that happens, so a .223 version is on the short list now after the Florida tragedy.