First PPC match tonight

Discussion in 'Ranges, Training & Competition' started by Justincase, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

So tonight is the first PPC match that I've ever shot. Anyone have any pointers, or little things that you might not think about until after you've done it a bunch? Like during the seated part, can you support your arms on one of your knees or is that not allowed?

2. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Holy crickets, Batman. Lol

Well I learned a few things. One it's fun as hell. Two, everyone uses revolvers. Three, I need a mag pouch.

I did ok. Definitely not stellar, but I improved from the first round to the second. Shot 351 in the first round 387 in the second. Again, not stellar, but what a great way to practice. Under pressure, from a holster, from different positions. Awesome.

They're always looking for competitors. I guess the year end party is a must attend event and highly anticipated every year. There's tons of prizes and it's only $10 to shoot. No need to be a member. If you're anywhere near the southtowns in Erie county you should come out. It's a great group of guys. Allied sportsman in Alden.

Celt, GOYABEAN and Podmonkey like this.
  3. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

I know where Alden is! That's not too far from the swamps right?

4. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

It's close. Probably about a half hour drive.

5. MilesTeg

MilesTeg .308 Win U.S. Military

I'm sorry I missed this yesterday. I'm not sure what a PPC match is but I've found clubs are very welcoming. I would have told you to tell the match leader it was your first shoot. Everytime I've seen a new guy they spent a little more time answering questions and getting you set. Yes the mag pouches are usually the most over looked equipment for a new shooter. Another common mistake I see is forgetting to show clear and drop the hammer. After a few runs you will get the hang of it.

Justincase likes this.
  6. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Thanks for the tips. The guy running the show did have someone shadow me during the first round. He helped direct me through each transition and even helped me reload mags between stages. He was great. Second time around I went solo, and they were very patient as I reloaded between stages when needed.

PPC stands for Police (Practical or Pistol) Combat. You basically shoot in six round sequences from different positions and distances. Like the name implies, it's great for the practical application of firearm skills. I wish it was every week instead of every other. It's incredibly fun.

7. MilesTeg

Sounds fun. I do a defensive pistol league in the summer. This is just for fun and not sanctioned matches. We pay attention to the score but only track it for our own information(maybe the occasional ball busting). Here's on of the courses from last summer.

IMAG0764.jpg

Doc8404 likes this.
  8. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

I would love it if this was outside. Does the loser get to rake up the spent brass? Lol

9. MilesTeg

We have a good group and we pretty much police our own. A couple people pasty the targets some hunt brass and some BS. It seems like everyone floats through and the work gets done.

10. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Now I need some recommendations for mag pouches. I have seven mags for my VP9, so I'd likely need to store six mags. I can keep over in my pocket. I was thinking three on my belt at 9 o'clock and three on my left leg? Can't put any in front cuz seated and prone positions wouldn't feel too good. Anyone have any experience with this from three gun or IPSC? Thanks

11. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .338 Win Mag LEO / LEA

Sounds like a good time. I don't think I have shot in any kind of real competition in about ten years.

Justincase likes this.
  12. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

It's a riot. Except I can tell all the guys there want me to acquire a revolver so I'm not shooting brass all over and forcing guys out of the sixth lane. I feel a little bad, but it's called PRACTICAL police combat for a reason. I would likely never carry a revolver as a primary defense gun, so it wouldn't be very practical for me to use one in the competition.

GOPerfect likes this.
  13. MilesTeg

I went with these Scorpion Softshell Series because of the universal nature of them. I was using a 1911 when shooting competition. Now I'm moving into striker fired. I like that o can switch between the two with the same pouches.

Edwardteach72 likes this.
  14. misunderestimated

misunderestimated .357 mag

Well its great to hear another person is competing. this is a great way to put rounds down range with a little tension, Tonight was the start of our local PPC indoor matches and I just had too tough a day at work to go. the best part of these matches is it teaches you why your gear won't work.Also TAP,RACK,BANG just don't stair at it,do something!

Good luck and enjoy.

I use a blade teck magazine pouch ,cheap and its actually 2 mag pouches double stacked so you can carry your reloads plus an extra barney mag. I looked on there web site and did not see it listed any more

Justincase likes this.
  15. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Tonight's the next match. Ended up being a Voodoo tactical drop leg leg platform, with a triple mag pouch. We'll see how it works. Gotta be better than stuffing all my pockets with mags. That Scorpion stuff was pretty high speed, but a bit spendy for what I'm using it for. Thanks MilesTeg

MilesTeg likes this.
  16. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Got my first prefect round today on the first target. 12 rounds in 20 seconds at 21' with a reload. Not super hard, but I'm happy about it.
    KIMG0012.jpg

I actually did worse overall though this week, lol. The first round, I started a sequence without a round chambered. Then in the second round, I forgot to fire a whole sequence. I had a full magazine left over at the end and I totally forgot to shoot one of the positions. I didn't notice, cuz I go way too fast in the longer sequences. I had between 30-45 seconds left in each of the longer ones where you fire 24 rounds.

This isn't nearly as stressful as a life or death encounter, but if anyone thinks they're going to be cool as a cucumber and have complete control of their wits when the SHTF, this stuff will humble you real quick. It's really not that hard, but adding a little bit of stress due to competition and time to a newbie is indicative of what will likely happen in an actual encounter... except it'll be worse in the real situation I'm sure. Can't wait til next week.

FCG LLC and Bullet Guy like this.
  17. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

Shoot uspsa.

That shit is fun!

18. misunderestimated

Nice target
    I am so happy your enjoying it.
    I shoot what I carry ,some guys are shooting tricked out 1911 and they are after the perfect score . I shoot whats on my hip and shoot the matches for trigger time.

Isn't it a great place to go. I mean you look forward to it all week. I leave work on time to get to the match.I get to mingle with and talk to like minded people.Get to shoot my gun, its just a great time.

I also love the sound or a 15 point firing range going off all at the same time.

the only down side is getting next to the tricked out 1911 with the guy looking for the perfect score and having to score his target when they are fighting with you because a tear cracked the line and they want you to score it as a 10 instead of a 9. Its just one point STOP BREAKING MY BALLS! I normally set up away from those types but do have a overlay and a scope in my bag if needed, if I get a real weenie I just say CAN WE GET A RULING. A match guy will come over and deal with it.if its a missing shot I will work dam hard to find it and most of the times pick a hole and rule it as a double shot. But a fellow looking to challenge you to stretch a 9 into a 10 because it ripped the line .

Have fun ,completion is what got me into reloadin

FCG LLC and Justincase like this.
  19. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Totally loving it. The guys are great. Very helpful and knowledgeable. One of the older guys helped me score a few targets as well as mine and gave me some pointers. They do get tricky when there's not enough holes, lol.

I could totally see people going bonkers over a point here and there, but luckily I haven't seen it yet. Not sure many of the guys would even trust me to score their targets yet. One guy from my home gun club did ask me to score his but I made sure to ask for clarification when I couldn't find holes. It definitely gets a bit subjective.

Next week, my goal is to get all rounds on target and not forget to shoot a position. That should help my scores a bit, lol.

20. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

I was searching for IDPA, and IPSC matches and I did see that a club kinda near me has a match every month. Didn't know that it was USPSA though. Not sure what the differences are really if any, but I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

21. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

No big deal on the scores.

Questional stuff goes to the shooter.

Who cares if you give the guy a 10 for the rip. Jo big deal.

I am an extreme ball buster. I will give em the 10. And continue to talk shit. No shooter intimidates me. I have shot with pros. I broke the S&W pro 3 gun shooter's balls once when i was on his squad. (I forgot his name......)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Justincase and MilesTeg like this.
  22. misunderestimated

None of this was questionable. its a nine everyday day of the week you have an 1/8" between the the grease line and the line and because the tear breaks the line he wants it scored as a 10, put a overlay on it and your almost a 1/4" way from the line . these are they guys I hate to score.

Justincase likes this.
  23. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Have another match tonight. I put Talon grips on the VP9 to see if that helps me out. Last week I did better since I slowed down. On two of the rounds, I didn't get all my shots off (i think I didn't get to fire six rounds total), but i still scored higher than I had previously. I actually broke into the 400's. Also tried a new prone technique which worked well. We'll see how we do today.

misunderestimated likes this.
  24. Doc8404

Doc8404 .308 Win

'Cause you're a dick! I mean someone fun to be around.

25. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Had another match tonight. Totally shit the bed. Last two matches I did great. I actually scored in the 500's in three of the four relays the previous two matches. Tonight, 429, and 389. Everything was to the left. No idea why. I'm taking my time alot more than before too. Told myself I was just going to have fun with this, but I'm kinda ticked. Thing is, you can't see what shots go where. Is it the seated position? Prone? Left or right barrier? Better luck next week I guess.

dsdmmat likes this.
  26. misunderestimated

Your thinking too much, Relax,

Go back at it with less concerns over score and more about being center mass.

Justincase, Bullet Guy and MilesTeg like this.
  27. Justincase

Justincase .44 mag

Perhaps you're right. I think some of it may be that I'm trying to focus on the front sight, and some shots I do, and some I don't.