Law Professor: Police Should Track Gun Purchases, Knock on Your Door After ‘Too Many’

Discussion in 'Firearms in the News' started by livingston, Oct 12, 2017.

1. livingston

livingston .338 Win Mag

Law Professor: Police Should Track Gun Purchases, Knock on Your Door After ‘Too Many’
    During the October 9 airing of Tucker Carlson Tonight, law professor Richard Painter suggested police ought to be able to track gun purchases and knock on an individual’s door if that person acquires “too many.”
    The professor would not define what “too many” guns would be, only that police should be able to knock on your door based on gun purchases.

Painter said:

I don’t think anybody’s going to come up with a solution that’s going to eliminate all gun violence, but we have a lot of it and this keeps happening. At a minimum, we ought to information on people like Mr. Paddock who are acquiring dozens of weapons over a very shot period of time. It amazes me that the police didn’t know that he was acquiring that many weapons over such a short period of time. That information ought to be available.

Carlson responded, “How many weapons in what period of time should trigger a visit to your house from authorities?”

Painter replied, “I am not an expert on what the threshold ought to be. I think that’s that up to law enforcement.”

Carlson then interrupted to say, “It’s not up to law enforcement. Nothing’s ‘up to law enforcement.’ It’s up to voters to decide what the laws are and then law enforcement, of course, enforces them by definition.”

Carlson then pointed to Painter’s tweets, wherein Painter claimed that Vegas-style attacks could be “solved by laws” and he asked Painter to outline a specific law.

Painter responded,

Law enforcement ought to know if someone has acquired dozens of weapons and they can use that information along with other information–for example, Is the person associating with known terrorists? Is the person associating with the Ku Klux Klan? Is the person someone who appears to be psychologically unsettled? They can use that information–along with other information–to check out the facts. And they do not need a law to go and pay you a visit in your house and say, “Hello, what’s up? What’s going on?”

Carlson summarized, “Ok, so you think that if people buy too many guns the police should go visit them and ask why they have the guns and do what?”

Painter suggested the answer the Carlson’s question is in flux. He said, “That depends.” Painter the said “they might or might not have figured out this guy was a lunatic or the guy who shot up the gay bar.”
    Law Professor: Police Should Track Gun Purchases, Knock on Your Door After 'Too Many'

2. livingston

livingston .338 Win Mag

The Orlando Pulse gunman had two guns; he had purchased two guns. Within the constrictions of a seven-minute interview on Tucker Carlson Tonight Painter went from police knocking on the door of people who bought dozens of guns to knocking on the door of people who bought two.

3. Airborneguy

Airborneguy 6.5 Creedmoor LEO / LEA

It’s always “the police should do this, the police should do that.” How about you do it jerkoff? Man up and try this stupid suggestions yourself. Idiot.

Darth, ECU Pirates, spat and 7 others like this.
  4. dsdmmat

dsdmmat Donut Master Monthly Shot Winner

You can never have too many guns, you can only have too small of a house/warehouse.

Darth, MoMan, eagleridge357 and 3 others like this.
  5. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .308 Win LEO / LEA

There is so much wrong with the statements of this "Educator".

First we have the 2A that is there to protect gun owners. Period. Our Bill of Rights says nothing about a certain made up limit of what we can or should have.

Second, certain groups may be deplorable to some; it is not unlawful to be a member of the groups that he mentions, ie. the KKK.

The Second Amendment is not the only Right these fucking losers are trying to make disappear, their fight is bigger than the 2nd. They want to destroy many of the Rights that true Americans hold dear!

spat and MoMan like this.
  6. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

I am down to 2 guns now. If you guys make fun of me, I can snap with those 2.

7. dsdmmat

snap? your fingers? toes? what are you snapping?

8. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

9. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

My brain like Snappo.

10. GOPerfect

I have actually lost count of what I have.

11. dsdmmat

I don't have any, I am just a gun forum poser......:ROFL:

MoMan, Bananabandit, Steal2B and 2 others like this.
  12. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .338 Win Mag Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

That's what I hate the most about these people. They are lazy and cowardly. They never have any specifics or details, just hazily outlined ideas and opinions. And they expect everyone but themsleves to flesh everything out and execute. Liberals are a despicable people.

Airborneguy likes this.
  13. GOPerfect

I have gathered that from many of your posts! Big ass troll.

dsdmmat likes this.
  14. Phazer

Phazer .308 Win

In Westchester, the permitting judges can already request that the police do a home inspection every 6 pistols. And.... they do make such requests....regularly.

15. vanderblack

vanderblack .45 acp

So how does the conversation go? Knock on door:
    police "hi, we see you bought x number of guns"
    me "yes, I am a happy gun owner"
    police "ok can we see them?"
    Me "no, they are sleeping right now"
    police "we really need to see them"
    me "no"
    police "please?"
    me "no"
    police "we can get a warrant if we need"
    me "ok, get a warrant"
    police come back with warrant "can we see your guns"
    me "ok" show them guns
    police "they look like guns"
    me "ok"
    police "have a nice day"
    me "you too"

What's the point?

MoMan, Phazer and GOPerfect like this.
  16. Robin

Robin .308 Win

I could arm a militia, 1776 style!
    As stupid as that may sound it pales in comparison to this idiot specifically and much of the actually proposals being made in general.
    Robin

Defilade likes this.
  17. GOPerfect

Well, after they gather the information needed about your arsenal, they can scour the Interwebs and connect you with a group that may or may not a bad group of people. Maybe you belong to gun forums (evil people there). Or you are a closet member of the KKK. Or you are Liberal or you voted for Trump or you don not like another group of people. Then they have evidence against you and a reason to disarm you and your family!

18. Drinkthekoolaid

Drinkthekoolaid .308 Win U.S. Military

Just remember these "intellectuals" are molding the minds of the next generation who will graduate feeling full of themselves and knowing better than everyone else.

19. Phauxtoe

Phauxtoe .308 Win

i guess they dont teach Constitutional Law anymore, or they just go with remedial Obama Constitutional Law

MoMan likes this.
  20. Phauxtoe

Phauxtoe .308 Win

Dont Lump all college professors into one Group!
    Some of us are On the Side of the Constitution and the bill of Rights

Drinkthekoolaid and Airborneguy like this.
  21. vanderblack

vanderblack .45 acp

They can find a lot of information about anyone regardless. (I do not agree with ANY kind of home visit or intrusion.. just making a joke/point)

GOPerfect likes this.
  22. eagleridge357

eagleridge357 .44 mag

We the people should have the authority to "knock on the door" of taxpayer funded schools when we discover that school has hired "Too many" stupid fuck left leaning teachers

23. tirwin1

tirwin1 .357 mag

As others have pointed out these people are ridiculous. At the same time they claim a nazi fascist is currently in the white house they want to give more power and authority to the govt. I guess they just assume people like them will always be in power.

24. Phazer

Phazer .308 Win

LOL! Seriously...I just chuckled in the office.

25. Cooolone

Cooolone .223 Rem

The "Stupid" is strong in this one... And it figures it's a professor, oh the horror!

By this example if a person buys breath mint at a Gas Station they should be subject to a search, sobriety test... How ridiculous!

26. Catskillkid

Catskillkid 6.5 Creedmoor

You know what we have too many of now? Dipshit law professors.

27. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .338 Win Mag Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

How I'd like to handle this situation.

Knock, knock.
    <answers door in bath robe, wide open with nothing on underneath.>
    "Ya?" <begins scratching crotch>
    "...............uh..sir?.... We understand you have recently purchased a number of guns."
    <continues scratching, giggles>
    "........................?...... That is to say firearms, sir."
    <continues scratching>
    "........................................"
    "...Sir?..... May we see them?"
    <belches loudly and forcefully, continues scratching>
    "..........um... so........... may we come in"
    <continues scratching, stares impassivley>
    "Sir, are you alright? We'd really like to come in for just a bit to ensure the firearms are being stored properly."
    <begins scratching ass, farts very, very loudly>
    "..........................................................Have a nice day sir."
    <closes door>
    "Buh bye fuck sticks."

28. JaguarJaguarGolf

JaguarJaguarGolf .45 acp

Citizens should be able to review the finances and inspect the homes and vehicles of politicians to find out why so many of them become millionaires working at a public salary.

29. freddy

freddy .223 Rem

Really? Two? G26 plus AR? Man, borrow some of mine why don't you?

30. Shadow2

Shadow2 .357 mag

They need to get this door to door thing going ASAP ...