.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
Last edited:

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

Being that it has a pistol brace, NY will call it an assault pistol. However, if you build one and just put a cover on the buffer tube....

View attachment 12620

It won't be a pistol or a rifle or an AOW. It'll just be a generic firearm by ATF standards and it won't fall into any NY definition. So what could they convict you with as per NY law?

Edit. They'll charge you as having an Assault Weapon. (Pistol with features) You'd have to prove it's not.
They can't; its explicitly declared not a pistol by the highest authority (ATF).

Eddie Gunks

.338 Win Mag
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

I'm tired and ready to go to bed, but it looks like the bottom one with the longer barrel and pistol grip would be a firearm? I just was wondering what NYS designates as an assault pistol with a pistol brace.
It has a foreward grip (the slnted one does not count; the atf said this). It never was a pistol before and it cannot be one now because pistols cannot have verticle fore grips since 1934. It is, by every legal definition, not a pistol.

Jem45472

.308 Win
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

I'm not really interested, the ar pistol keeps me happy. I don't mind riding the fine line of what I can and can't have in this state, but I don't want to push it.
Everything in this country is riding the line. 15.8? Bad. 16? Good.
We just need good concrete rulings, which we are never going to get.

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
Last edited:
S

stuck in ny

Charges from Penal Law 265 by NYS do not refer to ATF definitions. For example, let's say you have a Glock 19. It is legally on your pistol license. Check.

Now you decide to add a vertical foregrip to it on the rail like so.

glock-safety-grip-extended2.jpg

According to the ATF, you no longer have a pistol. You have an AOW. Now let's say you somehow paid the tax stamp to the ATF for this AOW. You are legal as far as the ATF is concerned. Check.

You get arrested by a NY cop when you try to remove it from your permit because it isn't a pistol. He will charge you with having a pistol in an Assault Weapon configuration. You can site the Federal ATF law all you want that it isn't a pistol but according to Penal Law 265, you have a pistol with a forward grip which is an Assault Weapon.

The ATF definitions mean absolutely nothing. They will go by the NY definition in Penal Law 265 of Assault Weapon.

Federal ATF laws do not supercede State laws.
The weapon described in the OP was never a pistol, though.

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
Last edited:

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
Last edited:

spat

.700 Nitro Express
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

If you get caught with a pistol and no permit you are charged with possessing a illegal firearm, not charged with possessing a pistol.

PL 265 makes it quite clear that pistols are firearms. There are other things that NY considers firearms as well, so technically you are correct when you say firearms are not pistols, but that's like saying mammals are not dogs.

Handguns are one category of "firearm" in NY, all firearms in NY require registration/permitting to be legal (and many cannot be legal at all for us peons). Any gun you can legally have without NYS having it listed by serial number isn't a firearm (according to NYS)
The entire law is toothless. Read it. "Made from...". The weapon described by the OP, for example the Franklin model, was never anything else. The law was written before receivers were widely available separately and fails to think of this.

freddy

.308 Win
Reaction score
Last edited:

freddy

.308 Win
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jem45472

.308 Win
Reaction score

Marine Cpl