Let's talk AOW and New York.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Talk' started by Edwardteach72, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 6.5 Creedmoor

Ok so I already know that us common folk can't have SBRs SBSs Suppressors or Full auto / select fire.

But if I remember correctly reading in a random thread that AOWs are good to go here in New York

(If I am incorrect in this statement no need to go any further)

Now if I am correct, let's talk about them. How do we go about doing so, I used to have a decent idea of how NFA items worked but I know there have been changes over the last year or so.

And if they are g2g here is my idea, the safe act doesn't seem to cover scary features for AOW, just rifles pistols shotguns. So I'm thinking take AR-15 pistol (with fixed 10 round magazine of course to start) get it approved and registered as an AOW with the addition of a vertical forgrip, now you no longer need the fixed magazine because it isn't a rifle or pistol (10 round limit still)

2. Bananabandit

Bananabandit .338 Win Mag

@Bullet Guy is your man. Im at 11 months for 2 AOWs.

3. Edwardteach72

Transfer or converting something into one?

Bananabandit likes this.
  4. Bananabandit

Bananabandit .338 Win Mag

Well he deals in that stuff. Knows the laws and such.

Darth and Edwardteach72 like this.
  5. Edwardteach72

I am sure he will chime in hopefully

6. SomeSoldier

SomeSoldier .223 Rem U.S. Military

You cannot convert into an aow. You need to purchase a virgin lower and have it transferrd to you as a firearm, not sure if it's firearm or AOW. If you search for it there is a thread on this topic about 4 month ago. I believe the only law you would still have to follow is fixed mag.

7. spat

spat .308 Win

I could be wrong, but I *think* you can convert a pistol into an AOW, just not a long gun as far as federal rules go.

Edwardteach72 and Bullet Guy like this.
  8. Bullet Guy

Bullet Guy .308 Win NYGF Vendor Monthly Shot Winner

The issue is the frds are probably never going to give you a stanp for a fixed mag ar AOW.

Uou could try but it will take months and montha and lota of converstaiona with the ATF.

As joted above, we are at 11 months already for an AOW serbu ( i have 4 i am waiting on). The atf contactdd me about being in ny for these 2-3
    Months ago....

i think it is back in the system cause no denials were receieved.....no new is good news.

9. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam 6.5 Creedmoor Monthly Shot Winner

I don't know that it makes a difference but a stripped lower is "other" on a 4473, at least the last time I bought a couple two years ago or so.

SomeSoldier and Willjr75 like this.
  10. SomeSoldier

SomeSoldier .223 Rem U.S. Military

Yea, then it's good to go. Can't be sold as rifle or pistol then converted to other.