No knocks - Murder or Self-Defense if Officer Is Killed in Raid?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Doc8404, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Willjr75

Willjr75 .450/400 Nitro Ex U.S. Military

The argument that crime like robbery and burglery would increase if drugs were legal is a valid one if you aren't allowed to defend yourself.

If stand your ground laws were enacted and the above crimes were treated seriously and harshly, that wouldn't be the case.

Also, addicts would voluntarily lock themselves up if given an alternative like a secure prison or hospital or whatever you want to call it if they knew that they could get the drug there. It would be far cheaper to house them and give them the drug rather than employ police to fight the war.

The drug itself would keep addicts off the streets if such a program existed and would be a deterrent to those who see their friends voluntarily disappear from society.

2. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

I agree with most of what you said, look at most first post about small departments getting giddy when they get a chance to "play cop." I just don't understand how legally, when a judge signed the warrant, it was served on the correct house, and drugs were found, he still has a valid claim to self-defense? When effecting a lawful arrest, how does self-defense apply? That opens a dangerous precedent.

The manner in which this warrant was executed was reckless and unnecessary, but it wasn't illegal.

Jsmegs77 likes this.
  3. spat

spat .308 Win

The man had a legitimate fear for his life, or are you suggesting we change the standard to an actual threat to his life not just a legitimate fear of one ?

4. Willjr75

You should have a right to self defense if you don't know that the group breaking into your home is the police whether you have committed a crime or not.

It could easily be one of us who for argument's sake got swatted because a neighbor we had an issue with called in that we had an SBR. Whether we had that SBR or not, all we see is men in black coming in with guns pointed at the wife.

Then someone on another forum will say, "But he did have an SBR."

It's a very different situation for the person getting swatted.

All this can be avoided by intercepting the person when he leaves his house at a price of a simple surveillance followed by a warrant to search.

It's very different if life is in danger and you have to go in. But for drugs? No.

libertysnake likes this.
  5. Truebeliever

Truebeliever .45 acp

Sometimes taking the door is safer.

6. Truebeliever

Truebeliever .45 acp

It depends on what the crime being investigated or the evidence sought. Again, they flush the drugs, destroy the forensics on a firearm etc. Arrest in outside the house? How long can they sit on the house without the evidence being smoked up , sold to others, etc. So while they wait outside, he sells it to someone who OD’s. Or the six to eight cops sitting on it for days aren’t responding to emergencies.

7. Willjr75

Each situation warrants a different response. Many of the no knocks are pure BS however.

@thewheels likes this.
  8. Darth

Darth .450/400 Nitro Ex

It won't. People bought in to the lie that the government told us as to why drugs are illegal. The same government that they "don't trust", they support wholeheartedly with shit like this.

@thewheels likes this.
  9. Airborneguy

But then why can't every perp argue that same case, effectively negating the police's ability to affect lawful arrests using force?

Bear with me, don't get this one get twisted because it's a legitimate question.

The facts are the warrant was valid, targeted the correct person, and resulted in the recovering the contraband listed on the warrant. I'm not saying the no-knock was the best way to go or what not. I'm saying that considering the information was correct on all accounts, and the perpetrator was apprehended with the evidence, how does he get to claim "fear of his life" during a VALID warrant execution?

What separates him from a guy I catch breaking into a car on the street, chase down, tackle, and am now fighting with, resulting in my death? What legal facts make him unable to claim self-defense but this guy can?

It's the exact same thing.

HighlandLofts likes this.
  10. Willjr75

The separation is him knowing it's the police.

MilesTeg likes this.
  11. Airborneguy

I guess the jury believed the perp over the cops then, if that's the only relevant factor.

12. Darth

Darth .450/400 Nitro Ex

Party B claiming "but it was a valid warrant" after the fact is like party A claiming "he only WAS reaching for a cellphone/wallet" after a cop shooting.

At the time, how in the world is it relevant?

13. Airborneguy

It was a valid warrant from the start, and your comparison example is irrelevant, as always.

14. Darth

Darth .450/400 Nitro Ex

And it was a legal object to possess.

After the fact that means nothing.

So you deflect, yet again.

15. Airborneguy

You win! I couldn't care less.

pjzwtl, Willjr75 and HighlandLofts like this.
  16. ECU Pirates

ECU Pirates 6.5 Creedmoor

"When Mr. Hall had last been there, not long before his arrest, he had seen a dozen six-foot stalks ready for harvest." Not sure what kind of shitter you have, but mine is not going to flush the 6 foot plants the junkie said was there (turned out to be a whopping 4.3 ounces of weed). A cop was killed over 4.3 ounces of a plant that's now legal in many states. Play stupid games....

Willjr75 likes this.
  17. dsdmmat

dsdmmat Donut Master Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

This is the way I look at it, you have a right to be secured in your home and the right to defend yourself at all times. If the someone kicks in your door and you are surprised you will react instinctively and defend yourself.

Doesn’t matter what they are yelling as they come through the door ( crooks have yelled police in home invasion attacks before) and it doesn’t matter if there is a valid warrant.

The reasonable man standard: any reasonable person will defend himself/ family from a perceived attack. That is why I would not see it as anything but self defense. At least the first few shots (Once the person realized it was the actual police and they stopped defending their home).

No knock warrants are very dangerous for both the officers involved and the residents inside the facility being raided. After the fiasco at Waco one would think that no knock raids would have been seen as an unacceptable risk and the practice eliminated.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    spat, Willjr75, ECU Pirates and 4 others like this.
  18. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

Doesn't it anger you to think that your life may be placed at such risk for so little reason?

Willjr75 likes this.
  19. speedkills27

speedkills27 .223 Rem

BOOM! this is the distinction thats being overlooked. The perp didnt know it was police, and once he did he surrendered peacefully and immediately

20. Darth

Darth .450/400 Nitro Ex

Exact same scenario as I mentioned. It doesn't matter that it turned out to be a legal warrant after the fact in the same way it wouldn't matter that the object you were reaching in your waistband was a wallet.

Contrary to popular belief, the "I'm a cop, therefore I'm right. Just ask me!" ploy is often wrong.

Both scenarios involve after the fact information, but when they can't reconcile that, they just say "...totally different cases!" Sure. :rolleyes:

Just like that cop that murdered that black man in Dallas. A few days later, now they claim "they found marijuana at his house." And the "SEE!? A REGULAR SCOFFLAW" boot lickers chime in. :ROFL:0

21. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

22. Airborneguy

Of course, I’ve said before that I’d never put myself in position to participate in one of these types of warrants. I do understand the legalities involved though. I just can’t see how self-defense applies here. Regardless of the perp’s prior knowledge, all of the information was correct.

ECU Pirates likes this.
  23. Podmonkey

What about those instances where it actually is a "wrong door" situation? The consequences of no knock warrant raids go far beyond the bounds of this particular story.

Darth and ECU Pirates like this.
  24. speedkills27

speedkills27 .223 Rem

Just because its legal doesn't make it right, and obviously the jury agreed

25. Airborneguy

I've stuck to this topic specifically. You know how out of hand these conversations get, let's just stay with this one. All I'll say is that obviously if I am not comfortable participating in these situations AT ALL, it's because I'm wary of mistakes.

pjzwtl and Podmonkey like this.
  26. ECU Pirates

ECU Pirates 6.5 Creedmoor

I would do the same "we are kicking the door in of a know armed man for some plants". Ummm who is "we", I'm not taking part in that stupidity. I do see how it was self defense though.

27. Podmonkey

The mistakes of your superiors, correct?

28. Truebeliever

Truebeliever .45 acp

Nope, I was talking warrants in general.

Destruction of evidence is a big worry because it’s common. Including stupid things like setting it on fire to get rid of it. Yes, I know the charge of arson is possible but they aren’t always thinking that far ahead.

Also a no knock where weapons are present is often officer safety. They are taken by surprise. And sometimes it’s safer for the occupants. What? How could that be. They occasionally take hostages including their own family members like pick up a child to use as shield.

29. Willjr75

You are quoting extreme, rare cases. In any case, like said above, no lives are worth a plant or white powder. The war on drugs is the biggest failure right behind the war on alcohol. And back then some cop probably thought he was doing good when he stormed into a building killed 3 and lost 1 for booze.

libertysnake, Toecutter and spat like this.