Ruger Precision Rifle 6mm Creedmoor Gen 2 - $899.99

Discussion in 'Deals, Sales, Coupons, Rebates' started by Prudii, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Prudii

Prudii .357 mag

2. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

The RPR is in its second gen already? What changes were made? I'm still favoring the Bergara HMR for a range bolty.

3. Chris1389

Chris1389 .40 S&W

Theres a 6mm creedmore? Never heard knew

4. Prudii

Prudii .357 mag

I honestly have no idea,
    Because you need a fairly accurate cronograph to tell the difference between it and .243. From what I read online there is about a 50 fps difference. I'm sure @meketrefe could explain it better.

5. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

Whats the point then?

6. ManrisFrack

ManrisFrack .357 mag

Cause "Creedmore" is the hottest thing in the industry right now. They're trying to cash in by connecting everything but the kitchen sink to it. It'll sell rifles too - self proclaimed "snipers" are idiots.

7. Prudii

Prudii .357 mag

Pretty much this. It's a well made rifle at a pretty good price in what is essentially .243. with slightly different case dimensions.

@Podmonkey I'd get the bergara. I just see RPRs on sale alot so I post them here because they are pretty popular.

8. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

IMO it is just another passing fashion. If you want consistency look at the 6mm BR the king of BR competion and use lapua and norma brass only.
    The same thing goes for the 6.5x47 that racks up score competition wins all over Europe and here too and also found in 6mm version.
    But I don't see the need for going hotter with the BR doing so well unless one is committed to 1000 yards like fclass.

If you want amazing accuracy on the cheap then the 6x45 is capable of match winning scores in 100, 200 and 300 yards for one fraction of the cost.

6mm PPC and BR are the usual winners but this doesn't mean everyone needs an olympic champion to have fun. and BTW the 6x45 won several wold
    medals back in the 70's. South american teams used it because they didn't have the type of budget to compete and they could get endless supply
    of brass from military surplus and then segregate and weight so they did a lot of 6x45.
    6mm TCU also a good cat for maximum precission both also in AR15 platform if a gas gun is desired.

Possibly the best AR15 round that is the easiest that uses all standard bolts and mags often overlooked but without the marketing dollars
    and youtube campaigns of the 300 Barak Obama.

"Think like a bullet" ... 6mm is king.

9. 71velle

71velle .45 acp Yearly Shot Winner

I dont know poop about rifles but always wondered why all the calibers. At one point I was thinking of getting something higher end and when looking at calibers and got confused. So, I decided I will stick with my cheep 223 varmint rifle at least until I feel it is holding me back. But a RPR with 2 mags, rings, break, and a sling for $900 sure looks good.

10. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

Best gun for the money right now on the budget side is the Bergara. Quality of materials and features. It makes the SPS and R700 5R look like a toy gun and it is the same action.
    Then also the Savage 10 PC or the predator (not the XP version) those shoot like rifles also costing 4 times more.
    Tikka has come a long way too, the only problem is that is not as strong and problem as teh R700 and S10 actions that are the most popular in the world for a good reason.
    Tacticool is nice but sometimes the classic action like the 700 with that wonderful uplift from Bergara and the Savage 10 with the simple yet effective accustock is all we need.
    I know I sound boring but you know... the devil you know.

11. Sweetyzfd

Sweetyzfd .40 S&W

243 with a fast twist barrel has the potential to be a very accurate/Long range rifle. I get mine to 1000 yards easily. The 6 creedmoor is basically the same with a better case design. Less trimming is a benefit. The 243 Brass flows more easily and requires more trimming. Neither are Great for barrel life however.

Bullet Guy likes this.
  12. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

Better is relative. If you neck size there is no much trimming needed and the 260 as well as the 243 have more capacity than the 6xCreed or 6x47 or 6XC so the potential is there to push a tad further.
    In terms of 6mm the XC is possibly the best compromise although these are overbored cartriges. Not that practical in reality other than paper punching.

13. Sweetyzfd

Sweetyzfd .40 S&W

I agree but was being specific to 243 vs 6 creed in the RPR as those were the factory offerings at this point. I’ve personally bought neck sizing dies with body dies, collet dies and regular “high end” full length sizers. I’ve switched back to full length sizing with minimal shoulder bump and have seen no noticeable difference as far as accuracy. Trimming isn’t a big deal to me either way as I trim on a giraud. Either way more Brass flow equals less life.

meketrefe likes this.
  14. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

Ok... I see...

The best thing is always just sizing if you stay with the same chamber. unless you go too hot and need to bump it a bit more. With quality dies and careful attention to detail that should not be a problem.

Of all trimming systems that do the 3 way cut for speed the best one I have used through the years is the forster 3 way cutter that I have motorized attached to their little lathe(trimmer). There is no other way to make a more precise cut. I have tried many and this is the one. It cuts within 1 thou 2 max consistently and can do one case every 2 / 3 seconds in small cases like 223 and 6 BR. RCBS 3 way could not do it neither.