Spartan Blades!

Discussion in 'Blades' started by GOYABEAN, Feb 3, 2018.

1. GOYABEAN

GOYABEAN .450/400 Nitro Ex

:cool:
    Spartan Blade's New Formido is Sized for Everyday Carry

• [​IMG]
      Spartan Blades’ new Formido fixed blade knife designed for everyday carry, on display at SHOT Show 2018. (Matthew Cox/Military.com)
    • [​IMG]
      Spartan Blades’ new Formido fixed blade knife designed for everyday carry, on display at SHOT Show 2018. (Matthew Cox/Military.com)
    • [​IMG]

Military.com2 Feb 2018By Matthew Cox
    Spartan Blades now has a wicked little fixed blade that might make you want to replace your favorite folder.

The Formido features a 3.875-inch blade, tanto-style point and a skeletonized handle.

"It's designed for everyday carry," Mark Carey, owner of Spartan Blades, said at SHOT Show 2018. "It's a very good size for all around use, whether it's survival or defense or utility."

The blade is fashioned from S35VN steel, which "is the best American blade steel there is," Carey said.

"It holds an edge about three to four times longer than any traditional stainless," he said.

The handle and blade are treated with SpartaCoat PVD coating with a Tungsten DLC in black or ZrN-base in Flat Dark Earth.

"It's the same coating as FN machine guns and Sig Sauer pistols use," Carey said.

The Formido retails for $315 with a nylon sheath in black, tan or MultiCam. For $20 more, the Formido comes with a Kydex sheath in either black or tan.
    :headbang: :flag:

Magnus and MilesTeg like this.
  2. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

But is it designed for everyday carry? I wasn't quite clear on that.:rolleyes:
    Also S35VN, while a very good steel, is not the best steel. There is no best steel, and S35VN is outclassed by Bohler M390 and its sister steels, CPM 20CV and CTS 204P. These are the "best" steels available for edc blades IMO. M4 gets my vote for best "hard use" steel. Or mabye CPM 3V.
    And that price is waaay too high for that thing.

SomeSoldier likes this.
  3. libertysnake

libertysnake 6.5 Creedmoor

Yeah, I mean... at a certain point you have to ask yourself about the cost / benefit. Honestly, I'd rather have a reasonably priced knife, and a good set of sharpening tools, than a $315 knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Razor-Leather-Sharpening-Barber/dp/B00S2WVWTQ/
    https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-TRI-6-Arkansas-TRI-HONE-Sharpening/dp/B00062BIT4/

Best $30 I ever spent. All the knives in the house are sharp as hell between the stones and the strop.

BDinPutnam and MoMan like this.
  4. GUNSICK

GUNSICK .223 Rem

Way too expensive! I might consider it at half the price.

5. Podmonkey

My custom ordered Mini Grip is in CPM 20CV, G10 scales and all, and was $200 which is still overpriced for what it is. And this thing is over $100 more. For a fixed blade. Want a really nice, special, fixed blade? Look at Bark River.

6. MilesTeg

MilesTeg .308 Win U.S. Military

I really like the idea and execution of their products. Like everyone else has said the price point is just too high.

7. Podmonkey

I'd also rather a knife like this be made of some type of carbon steel. Stainless steel is a bit brittle. M4 would have been a buzzworthy steel for this knife. Good ol 1095 would have brought the price down to a reasonable level.

8. Prudii

Prudii .45 acp

I want one of their Pallas so bad, I just can't justify it when I've already got three knives in that weight and size class.

9. Depick

Depick .44 mag

That’s too steep for a knife in my book. $315 is near half the cost of a decent pistol and I’d much rather have another pistol.

10. libertysnake

For $315 you could get a really high end set of sharpening stones, and keep a budget knife razor sharp.

Depick likes this.
  11. Defilade

Defilade 6.5 Creedmoor

Besides my folding knife what is the legal length for a fixed knife for carry in NY?

12. libertysnake

I thought the 4 inch rule only applied to NYC, and the size of Chuck Shumer's dick?

NY Chamorro and Defilade like this.
  13. BDinPutnam

BDinPutnam .44 mag

The one in his pants, yes. The one in his mouth, no.

NY Chamorro and Saltwater60 like this.
  14. libertysnake

Seriously though. My understanding is there is no written limit, outside the NYC specific laws. Unless anyone knows otherwise?

Saltwater60 and SomeSoldier like this.
  15. Podmonkey

If a knife can't at least retain an edge through a day's use then it is a waste of money. That cheap $4 knife shit is just that, dulls after the first thing you cut. That is counterproductive in the literal sense that you are spending more time sharpening than cutting. I am happy to spend the money on steels that hold their edge for a long time.

BDinPutnam and minderasr like this.
  16. livingston

livingston .450/400 Nitro Ex

Worst knife I ever had was from the NRA ... That free one they give you for membership... Chinese made and never could get an edge on it.

Doc8404 likes this.
  17. minderasr

minderasr .44 mag