Venison Sausage!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Airborneguy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

Finally did it! Well, doing it. I’m taking a break right now.

City-boy hunters don’t usually grow up butchering our own, but it’s in my blood (mom’s dad was a union butcher). Finally started doing it myself last year and got around to making sausage for the first time today.

I cooked the left-overs of the hot batch and man it’s awesome! I can’t believe I waited so long to do this.

Give me some recipes because I’m picking up another deer tomorrow!

Attached Files:

2. Depick

Depick .223 Rem

Damn that looks tasty! I love venison, makes me want to get into hunting.

Airborneguy likes this.
  3. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

just do it ;) LOL

4. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

Add bacon & maple syrup

S&W Fan likes this.
  5. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

I will talk to my buddy around the corner,,,he gets numerous deer every year because somehow he gets the inside scoop on where the DEC are having nuisance sites setup. I remember a few years ago being retarded from my ATV accident and watching him and a few other people making sausage in his garage. I think I remember white cheese being added to it but this was a couple of years ago. I will text him in a couple of hours and ask him if he has a recipe for the sausage.

Airborneguy likes this.
  6. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .450/400 Nitro Ex

My brother starts cooking sausage by browning it in a cast iron Dutch oven, medium heat just to cook the outside of the sausage nicely. Then in the same pan he pours in a nice beer to half cover the sausage, maybe a third, boil and finish cooking the sausage maybe 30 minutes. Frying the sausage makes it tough but gives it flavor, boiling finishes the cooking but tenderizes it, beer gives it a nice flavor. Beer could be a lager up to a stout. Boiling in the fried cast iron pan also cleans it out.

Most importantly, two beers for the cook.

Between divorces, my brother has become a decent cook.

You could par boil some vegetables with the sausage but who needs vegetables when you got beer and sausage and no nagging wife he says.

BDinPutnam, S&W Fan and Airborneguy like this.
  7. Airborneguy

Thats next for sure. Cook the bacon first or no?

8. Twogunwilly

Twogunwilly .44 mag

no just grind it in.

Airborneguy and S&W Fan like this.
  9. S&W Fan

S&W Fan .308 Win

Best sausage recipe ingredients ever. Bacon and maple sausage is the best. Use the breakfast sausage seasonings and you’ll be in sausage heaven!

pjzwtl, Twogunwilly and BDinPutnam like this.
  10. Cleck

Cleck 6.5 Creedmoor

@NirvanaFan probably has the real recipe, but he and I made jalapeno cheddar sausage w/ our deer last year. Just finally had one a few weeks ago - very good. Next time I'm adding more peppers though, it wasn't quite hot enough, but I remember being conservative when we made it.

Airborneguy, Exonautic and BDinPutnam like this.
  11. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

This thread is making me want to get into hunting this year finally.

12. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

If it helps push you,,,,venison is great meat and goose breasts are the best if marinated and cooked properly,,,,,,,,,,washing it down with Rohrbachs Scotch Ale makes everything taste like its the last meal on earth.

BDinPutnam, S&W Fan and Exonautic like this.
  13. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

I've been trying to start hunting for years but I've always been relying on other people to go with me. This year I think I'll just say fuck it and go on my own.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  14. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

It for sure is more fun with others,,,especially when it gets exciting like goose/duck and crow season but I cant get people to go out all the time. Squirrel and rabbit, my best friend goes with me,,,Harley (my pup/avatar). Woodchuck season is better with company but go by myself often and usually score more kills by myself. If you lived around me I would be more than happy to take you out especially since you already said you would buy a few Rohrbachs afterwards.

To me,,,,hunting by myself when it comes to night time hunting coyotes is the worse,,,always end up hearing weird noises that tend to freak me out a little :)

BDinPutnam, Airborneguy and Exonautic like this.
  15. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm planning on rifle for deer to start out. Will likely be in orange county since that's the closest I can hunt with rifle. Also may do turkey down here on the island.

16. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Airborneguy,,, I text my buddy,,,when he writes me back I will get back to you. Sorry for grubbing up your post with other hunting shit.

Airborneguy likes this.
  17. JamieZ

JamieZ .357 mag

Just so you know,,,,deer hunting is the most boring part of hunting. My opinion!!!

Turkey is fun though

Exonautic likes this.
  18. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

I freakin' love venison!
    You got some nice sausage going there.

Airborneguy likes this.
  19. Exonautic

Exonautic 6.5 Creedmoor

But it makes for good eating.

JamieZ likes this.
  20. dubleuhb

dubleuhb 6.5 Creedmoor

This thread was going so well.

kev74, BDinPutnam, Cleck and 2 others like this.
  21. togmaster

togmaster .338 Win Mag

Yup. Just got creepy.

kev74 and BDinPutnam like this.
  22. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .450/400 Nitro Ex Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

Get your minds out of the gutter, sheesh!

23. NirvanaFan

NirvanaFan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I posted the recipe almost 2 years ago now, but I can do it again. High melt cheddar isn't critical, so don't order it until you've decided that you like this recipe. I've got recipes for a bunch of different sausages if anybody wants them. breakfast sausage, longaniza, Italian, and a bratwurst that uses chicken (this tastes awesome).

original post... https://nygunforum.com/threads/chefs-corner-man-cave.707/page-2#post-38770

Venison Cheddar Jalapeño Sausage/bratwurst
    aka VeniCheddaPeño Sausage

5 lb trimmed venison (remove as much silver skin and fat as reasonably possible)
    3 lb pork shoulder
    1 cups seeded and finely chopped jalapenos (I'd call this medium heat)
    1 lb cheddar cheese (preferably high melt cheese, or the cheese will melt away)
    4 tbsp salt
    2 tbsp sugar
    4 tsp onion powder
    5 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp white pepper (black pepper will work if you don't have it)
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp marjoram
    1.5 tsp caraway seed
    1/2 cup of water or beer of your choice (helps emulsify meat)
    3.75 oz (by weight) non-fat milk powder (This helps to keep the sausage from drying out)
    sausage casings

Omit or substitute the non-fat milk powder if someone is lactose intolerant.
    Pull out however much casing you will need. 20-25 feet is plenty for this amount of sausage. Put casings into bowl and rinse the salt off them. Put the rest of the casings back in the refrigerator. Make sure casings are rinsed well, and leave them sit in a bowl of water to hydrate.
    Cut up venison and pork into cubes/strips. Grind together by alternating 2 cubes of venison with one cube pork. Put ground mixture into freezer to re-chill.
    measure out all your spices into a bowl and mix them together.
    Mix ingredients (except casings) and meat mixture together thoroughly in large bowl. Put back in freezer.
    Assemble your stuffer and put the casings on the horn.
    Stuff the sausage as usual.

[​IMG]

GOYABEAN, pjzwtl, Airborneguy and 2 others like this.
  24. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

Freaking mouths watering!!!!
    Robin

25. HighlandLofts

HighlandLofts 6.5 Creedmoor

You should offer some up for sale on the forum, I'd be the first in line.

Nice looking sausage.

26. Justin

Justin 22lr

looks good! My wife and I process our own deer every year... although it can be time consuming it's well worth it in the end!
    IMG_2147.JPG

27. NirvanaFan

NirvanaFan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Airborneguy Can you share the recipe?

Here's that bratwurst I mentioned yesterday. I thought it was chicken, but it's actually turkey. I can't remember if we used thighs or breast, but it shouldn't matter too much.

3 pounds turkey (after any boning)
    1 pound fatty pork shoulder
    25 grams kosher salt
    2 grams black pepper
    1 gram dried marjoram
    5 grams dried ginger
    2 grams ground nutmeg
    3 grams caraway
    2 grams mustard seed
    1 egg white
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    50 grams non-fat milk powder (omit if lactose intolerant)

cut up and grind the meat. Mix the salt, pepper, marjoram, ginger and nutmeg with the meat. Refrigerate and marinate at least an hour, but overnight is better. After marinating, grind the meat mix again and then add the dry milk, caraway, mustard seed, egg white and heavy cream. Mix everything well with your hands. Stuff like normal.

Couple quick notes....
    When you grind anything, make sure the meat (and preferably grinder parts) are cold. Grinding warm meat smears fat. When mixing by hand, the sausage should be cold. After 2-3 minutes of mixing, your hands should be aching because they are cold.
    Before you stuff the sausage, take a little bit and cook it. Make sure you like the taste, because you can always go back and add more spice.
    When cooking bratwurst, I poach it in beer first. Put the sausage in a frying pan, add beer, cover, then turn on the stove heat. This makes sure the sausage gets cooked all the way through, and can help give it a little flavor. After poaching for 5 minutes or so, put it on the grill or dump the beer and finish it in the frying pan on the stove with a little vegetable/olive oil. This will crispen up the outsides a little bit.

Airborneguy likes this.
  28. Airborneguy

These were VERY basic recipes, being my first. For the hot, I just added a bunch of red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and paprika (for color). I didn't measure any of it. For the maple ginger I poured a bunch of Aunt Jemima's and a few tablespoons of ground ginger. That batch came out surprisingly good with just a hint of the ginger and a really nice maple flavor. My chef buddy said it wouldn't go good together but my wife and I loved it.

I'm going to try your cheddar jalepeno recipe next when I get a chance. Tomorrow I am picking up a deer that I had the butcher grind everything except the loins and backstraps. I still have a lot left from last season as well. I plan to make a lot of sausage in the coming months.

BDinPutnam and NirvanaFan like this.
  29. pjzwtl

pjzwtl .44 mag

I like cold smoking my breakfast sausage with hickory or apple just enough for flavor before I pack it for the freezer.

I never tried the maple/bacon combo now I think I gotta do it and try adding a little smoke.

Robin likes this.
  30. S&W Fan

S&W Fan .308 Win

Aunt Jemima’s ?? Aunt Jemima’s ?? BLASPHEMY!!! that shit isn’t maple syrup. Read the label, you’ll be lucky if it says it has 2% real maple in it !! Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy some Real maple syrup. The difference in flavor will be emotional.