.338 Win Mag
LEO / LEA
Reaction score

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

It's a pistol with a forward grip illegally installed and you'd be found guilty of possessing it quite easily in NY. Actually, your attorney would seriously press hard for you to take the offerred plea so as to avoid a year or two in jail.
THen how did franklin sell it then?

Airborneguy

.338 Win Mag
LEO / LEA
Reaction score

Airborneguy

.338 Win Mag
LEO / LEA
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

But its not a stripped reciever once you build it. A reciever is a "firearm" by law as far as the serial number is required, but NY law requires "capable of firing a shot". This hypothetical weapon would ilicit a CPW charge unless one possesed a pistol permit with this listed on it. 100%. Anything else is mental gymnastics of internet legal knowledge.
It has already been done and it is not a pistol or an sbr. Its a "firearm", same loophole as the 14"barrel 26"OAL PGO non-shotgun.

S

stuck in ny

Just the same as plenty of companies sell silencers: if you have the proper permits or live in a state with different laws than NY, that monstrosity would be perfectly legal. Did you see me say it was illegal everywhere under every condition? Of course not, because I didn't.
I don't thnik your following. If your argument were true (it being a type of pistol) they won't be able to sell it even federally. The VG would make it an "any other weapon"-weapons made FROM a pistol with a VG, disguised guns (canes, smoking pipes, pens), etc.

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score

Airborneguy

.338 Win Mag
LEO / LEA
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

The front grip is a removeable piece. It does not change any definition legally the way you think it does. Like I said, build it and carry it.
It does change the definition. The atf forced a company years ago to discontinue a type of replica closed-bolt thompson styled pistol over the VG forend. They ruled it was an AOW.
Thompsonpistol-SMALL.jpg

Airborneguy

.338 Win Mag
LEO / LEA
Reaction score
S

stuck in ny

That's not the same as a two-second removeable grip and you know that. That's an integral part of the firearm.
That opens another can of worms then. What defines removable for instance the carved ak vertical foregrips?
29fq9eg.jpg

Airborneguy

.338 Win Mag
LEO / LEA
Reaction score

Marine Cpl

.577 Tyrannosaur.
Reaction score
Last edited:
S

stuck in ny

No good in NY.

I think the problem here is you're trying to parse laws much more minutely than reality plays out in court. The above would be charged as an assault weapon. No one would care about the front grip other than the describe it emotionally in court to further sway the jury.

You guys need to understand the reality of how charges are arrived at and how the case proceeds. Its not as complicated as these conversations love to make it. If it walks like a duck, it's a duck. There's a reason why we have a Penal Law, a procedural law and definitions all as separate sections of law.

In NY, it's simple: CPW firearm is the charge. I believe of the top of my head that starts with CPW 3 in some cases but usually means 2 or 1. Its up to your defense attorney to play the mental games like what goes on here, but guess what? You're going down for CPW if you carry the firearm you guys arw describing here. 100%.
I know that the rifle in the pic is banned. I'm saying if you put that wood forend on a pistol ak (assume even fixed mag or bolt action) you would be making an AOW.

gun_slinger_boy

.338 Win Mag
Reaction score