NEW YORK STRIKES AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Firearms in the News' started by OnSight Firearms Training, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Phazer

Phazer .308 Win

True. After all, owning a firearm is a serious commitment and liability. The owner needs to be knowledgeable about their firearm, appropriate use of the firearm, and applicable laws. Heck...I couldn't find enough documentation to assure myself that I'd be safe flying out of LaGuardia with checked pistols, so I booked flights through White Plains in Westchester.

2. Greywolf224

Greywolf224 6.5 Creedmoor

Up to 2 months ago do to an injury, I flew out of and back into LGA and JFK a few times a week. Many times a flew into a state that I have a legal CCW for. I NEVER once brought a firearm as I was always afraid of getting hung out to dry at the airport even though I felt that I was following every regulation.

1075tech, nortatoga and Phazer like this.
  3. Willjr75

Willjr75 .450/400 Nitro Ex U.S. Military

That's because you are from NY. She probably called the TSA or went online and followed their procedures. It's incomprehensible to them that just touching a pistol without a license is illegal. They just think that pistols are illegal to carry. Not posseses. To them a NICS is all that's needed to take one home.

A license just to possess? That's ridiculous!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Darth, Phazer, spat and 1 other person like this.
  4. @thewheels

@thewheels .44 mag

There are plenty of gun owners in NYS that are OCD about firearms and the laws that pertain to them because they have to be.
    There's also plenty that aren't that still know absolutely nothing about the safe act and all the possible problems they could face because of it.
    Hell, there's probably some really old geezers that have no clue that they're required to have a permit for that ancient 22 revolver under their mattress.

The point is, folks in most other states aren't required to be legal eagles or super cognizant when it comes to owning or purchasing firearms.
    And the fact that we are doesn't make us any smarter, it's just a habit we've had to develop.

Think about a skydiver, if he's smart, he checks his equipment and knows it meticulously in and out. He will pack and repack his chute. He's got the process down to a science. His well being depends on it being perfect.
    On the other hand, the guy flying the plane makes sure he's got enough gas and takes off. He hasn't torn the engine down, rebuilt it, lubed every fitting and checked every hose for leaks.
    Their concerns just aren't the same.

5. SomeSoldier

SomeSoldier .223 Rem U.S. Military

But had NYS not violated her rights then there would be no arrest.

6. Airborneguy

Airborneguy .308 Win LEO / LEA

Sucks, but that’s the way it works and has for over a century. I’m not saying she deserves it. Just saying it’s incredibly stupid to bring a gun to another state without knowing that state’s laws.

Gun politics is one of the top 5 (maybe 3) topics in nearly every election in the country. It’s in the news daily. There’s no rationalizing these “mistakes”.

Again. We are the type of people who supposedly believe in personal responsibility, yet on this topic, all that is moot? Nonsense.

If she legitimately had no clue in hell that NY wasn’t as accepting as where she came from, none of her family members knew, AND she didn’t have the wherewithal to check before traveling, then she is no person I’d want to be around with a gun.

It’s all pointless though because she knew. One hundred percent she knew and decided to take the risk. It’s absurd to even suggest otherwise.

7. @thewheels

@thewheels .44 mag

If she did then isn't it a big FU to NY and its stupid laws?
    Should we bash NYer's that haven't complied with all aspects of SAFE?

We all want a clean and clear, cut and dried case to see SAFE go all the way. If everybody goes along, it'll never happen.

8. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

I wonder if her home state will recognize a political felony somewhat unique to NYSSR and deny her the right to own a firearm.
    Robin

9. Airborneguy

I’m not bashing her. She took a risk and got caught. As goperfect says with these cases, she knew the consequences, took a chance, and lost. I can’t have sympathy for that, it goes against being a man of conviction who stands by his decisions.

I don’t follow the Safe Act. I tell everyone I don’t, including police bosses who could make an issue of that admission. I bring things to the range that rats could take issue with. I don’t care. If I get caught, I’m fucked. I wouldn’t cry and beg though. I’d take my consequences because I knew what I was getting in to. Same thing here.

holdover likes this.
  10. Willjr75

That's a NY State of mind. Someone from Montana has no clue. Just because you don't know gun laws and politics, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have a gun.

I almost brought my AR with a Thordsen stock to CT to shoot it at Wooster Mountain. I thought I knew their gun laws. I thought they were the same as NY's. They have a 1 feature safe act just like we do. Turns out I didn't know their law and was totally wrong. They can't have any grip even if connected to a stock and even if it's a traditional angled one if any part of it is below the action and your fingers end up below the action.

If I brought it over without my friends telling me and got arrested, some cop on a CT forum would be saying that I should have known the law and someone like me that makes a mistake like that probably shouldn't own a gun.

11. nortatoga

nortatoga 6.5 Creedmoor Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

I've said that many times before!!

12. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

I get your point but thats a bad analogy for me.
    We grow and raise all our own food. The animals are fine but late thaws and early frosts are scary as a wet fart to us, we need our veggies.
    I also totally get your other point but if you live in the USA and dont know that gun laws vary greatly around the country, you need to buy a tv or a radio.

Greywolf224 and Airborneguy like this.
  13. Willjr75

No. It was a joke. He said exactly that.

14. Catskillkid

Catskillkid .308 Win

Forget just traveling. How about moving to a brand new state without investigating the laws. Hypothetical situation (if you know what I mean). Maybe I was talking to a guy who recently moved to NY from a state out west with much laxer gun laws. Has a CCL out there and one pistol. Came to NY and asked a nice guy like me how long it would take to get a NY Pistol Permit. When he heard the process, the fees and length that it would take (and mind you he knows practically no one out here to be character references) he was shocked. Even more shocked that he was now potentially committing a felony by being in possession of a unregistered handgun in NYS. And this was permanently moving to a new state, not just visiting or passing through.

The laws suck yes. I feel bad for this lady and anyone who runs afoul of them. But when you're traveling (or moving as in my example) and bringing your guns (especially handguns) with you, you need to know the laws.

15. Willjr75

New York is the only state where a license is required just to possess and unloaded handgun.

spat likes this.
  16. nortatoga

nortatoga 6.5 Creedmoor Yearly Shot Winner Monthly Shot Winner

That is true! And that is what may be a 2A Violation but all Court challenges have been about the Licensing for CCW!!

Willjr75 likes this.
  17. Criticalt

Criticalt .308 Win

Maybe really ignorant people.
    I know people from some states with the most relaxed gun laws, including Montana. 100% of them call the state police in the state they are traveling to prior to traveling if they dont know the law.
    If someone doesnt know that gun laws vary around the country, I wouldnt want to be around them.
    If they dont have this most basic knowledge, how are they going to know about self defense laws, stand your ground, castle laws, brandishing laws?
    Not to mention gun saftey, do they know how to use their gun?
    After all, they skipped one of the most important steps....learn the laws of everywhere you bring your gun.
    Last summer a friend of mine from Florida was coming to visit us in NY.
    He had bought his first ever gun in May 2017, a Taurus 357 revolver.
    Never owned a gun, he is 37 years old.
    His first question was, can I bring my gun?

Airborneguy likes this.
  18. Willjr75

Oh. We agree on something. That's a breath of fresh air!

19. Shadow2

Shadow2 .223 Rem

Charges will be dropped ... shes the perfect case to bring to supreme court .. cute female gun owner with no criminal history tied up by red tape. The gun charges will be dead just like the women in Jersey no state wants these cases to climb up through the courts at some point the law will get shot down.

Maybe she new exactly what she was doing and played stupid ... if so good for her. I support her right to carry ..

holdover likes this.
  20. Shadow2

Shadow2 .223 Rem

This is the most Anti Group of gun owners there is ... do you support the second amendment or do you support gun laws?

I do not support the gun laws that got her arrested so whether she new about them or not means nothing. Do you know every dam traffic law on the books? do you still drive to different states.

Your so use to being ruled you cant comprehend that other people don't live in Police states and wouldn't feel the need to research gun laws state to state.

She got here no problem with the gun did she not? Did she fly here? You cant transport drugs state to state or bombs they would stop me at the airport on my way here not just when i was leaving leaving with it.

holdover likes this.
  21. Airborneguy

You don’t like cops, we get it. My opinion has nothing to do with my job. It’s my conviction as a man of integrity. She made a choice, a conscious choice, and now she has to pay for it. Stupidity is not an excuse for welfare skells or people like her.

GOPerfect likes this.
  22. libertysnake

libertysnake 6.5 Creedmoor

Stewart has police. I've seen police on numerous occasions in the terminal and outside. Normally it's only a few officers -- I've only ever seen two at any one time.

One particular time I saw them of mention was when some Muslim dude was right outside the airport randomly praying to mecca, and the officer was just parked at the drop off area keeping an eye on him.

23. Willjr75

Yeah, yeah, I don't like cops when you have no answer to law enforcement enforcing unconstitutional laws. That's it. Yes. I hate all cops. All cops are the same. They are not individuals. They are a hive mind. Officer Slappy and the latest cop that bought an old lady lunch and drove a kid to work who normally walked 2 miles are exactly the same.

Does that make you feel better now?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Darth likes this.
  24. Airborneguy

No, I couldn’t care less. We know where each other stands so you no longer have to go on and on about your feelings.

A gun owner who doesn’t have the wherewithal to check the laws when traveling is a damn fool, someone I wouldn’t want to be around while she’s armed. She made her bed with stupidity. No sympathy.

Blaming the cops is what skells do. Street skells, and leftists too actually. People who blame any facet of society for their problems are the losers Trump speaks of. That’s the group I don’t want to be a part of.

Reno likes this.
  25. Willjr75

So you would arrest her or you wouldn't? Because you said more than once you wouldn't arrest anyone with 2A violations. If you wouldn't, why take it personal when I don't like those that do?

26. Airborneguy

I’d have to in this case. And yeah I would. You think I’m losing my job after some TSA agent says he called 911 and handed it over to me?

I've never said anything otherwise when there are other people involved. Just because you hate cops it’s on me when those losers can’t do what I’ve done when on my own? Lol

27. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .338 Win Mag

so your a dumb blonde and fly from someplace to NY with a pistol and no NY permit .. your standing there with a gun in a fking locked box ..

why don't LEO / TSA or any other ABC group just say sir / mam you cant have that in this state even thou you have a permit from so n so its not accepted in NY .. you will have to send it back home to a FFL lets go over here get that in the mail for you .. ... not just arrest and jam someone up ...

back before 911 i had a big .. really big pocket knife and flew .. we will have to mail that to your destination .. no problem ..

just like bring your pet in from the cold .. or get arrested .. but if you bring humans in from the cold your house get condemned .. they have to say out in the cold .. the lack of basic compassion just baffles me ..

28. Willjr75

If it makes you sleep better at night to do what you have to do, than say again that I hate cops. I want you to feel good about yourself. :salute:

29. Robin

Robin .338 Win Mag

I think I have a valid question. She is from Colorado, she gets nabbed for no pistol permit in NY. Colorado doesn't have the same law on the books. If convicted of a felony, does Colorado strip her of her right to keep and bear arms for violating a law they don't have?
    Robin

30. spat

spat .308 Win

If you were traveling to another state, what stuff do you call and ask about ? Just guns, because we have silly gun laws here ?

If some other state had an insane law outlawing pants with more than 4 pockets, would you even know to ask about it ? Or would you just end up a felon when you went and the TSA guy called the local cops when he looked in your luggage ?

The point is that the N.Y. possession (nor carry) law is so insane and illogical that people in free America don't even think to ask about it.

They know you need a permit to carry lots of places, but the idea that you might need a permit just for an unloaded gun locked in a case is as foreign to them as the pants pocket law I described above would be to you.

Bottom line, it is NYS and it's agents that are committing the crime here, not the poor guy who gets kidnapped and extorted.

MikeM likes this.