Permit Amendments in Westchester

Discussion in 'Permits' started by Checkers, Sep 30, 2016.

1. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

2. Magnus

Magnus 6.5 Creedmoor

3. SigSweet

SigSweet .45 acp

just did one, 4 weeks

4. LexLooter

LexLooter .40 S&W

Anyone done an amendment in Westchester recently? Wondering how long they're taking these days. I got an Ithaca 1911 thats being kept warm by some stranger and she needs to get home to her new daddy.

5. 218bee

218bee .45 acp

50 days....ridiculous

Celt likes this.
  6. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

I'm dropping one off tomorrow.
    I'll keep you posted.

7. Celt

Celt .308 Win

Its infuriating that the process is run this way. And I feel no less anger today than I did years ago when I added my 2nd handgun (1st one was on my originalpermit).

8. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

I sold my M&P 40 last fall and even that amendment took 6 weeks.

9. LexLooter

LexLooter .40 S&W

Ooooof. Thats shitty. I really hate living in this county sometimes. Stupid shitty job and having to make money so I can buy guns.

Celt likes this.
  10. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

I dropped off an amendment to go from target to sportsman around mid February. Been told it takes 3 months. I also messed up and in march and dropped off paperwork to add a new p30. Come to find out that the restriction change needs to go thru first before they will add the firearm. Oh well.

11. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

@MikeGrad, It seems you can't give them more than one license change at a time.
    I put in a amendment today to add a pistol.
    I was told about 4 weeks.
    He told me they pass off the handgun paperwork
    to the court who distributes it to one of 5 judges.

12. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

You can give it to them, but the second one waits for the first to finish - at least thats what they told me there. So I’m about 60 days into my waiting for the restriction change. Or at least i hope. If I haven’t heard anything by mid-May I’m calling them up

13. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

Update - 4 months this week. Called the clerks office a few weeks ago, they said it could go to 5 months.

14. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

will be 5 months next week! this is taking longer than it took to get my original permit! does anyone here have recent experience with timelines for new permits in Westchester?

15. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

Screw Westchester, NY and every democrat. You have a permit, a pistol or two and they want to bust your balls for adding another? Same democrat institution wants same day voter registration without ID. NY is that third world political nation broken up into fiefdoms (counties).

16. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

@MikeGrad, 5 years ago my original permit took 4 months to the appointment and 4 months to be issued.
    4 years ago my it took 4 months to amend my permit from Target to Sportsman.
    I suggest you stop by the courthouse and get in their face.
    The judges have a habit of letting them sit on their desks after approval before they mail them out.

17. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

I guess im going to have to. ill call again today and if I don't get a reasonable response ill drop by on Friday.

18. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

@MikeGrad, Are you far from the courthouse ?
    Could you pass by during business hours ?
    In person is always better than over the phone.

19. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

im relatively close, but not sure I could make it by today. honestly is there anything the clerks can do?

20. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

@MikeGrad, When you go there in person they ask for your permit.
    Then they go to the computer and see where the amendment is in the system.
    Every time I went I was told it was on the Judge's desk.
    I may be imaging that this helped but the couple of times I did this I received it in the mail 2 days later.
    Maybe they will mention it to the Westchester County Detective in charge of the Department.
    Maybe they will mention it to the judge.
    Who knows, worth a try.

21. Celt

Celt .308 Win

I really get beyond frustrated with this process. The fact that we have to wait to take possession of property we paid for when we can pass a 4473 background check and already have our permit is a denial of our rights.

There should be a lawsuit to challenge this.

22. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

@Celt, and mine is a restriction change - I already have target, asking for sportsperson! I made the mistake of doing the restriction change, and then a month later doing the amendment.

23. garyv350

garyv350 .40 S&W

Going there will do nothing. The people in the clerks office can't do anything to get the judges to move. The last hope retired in December. Now you only have 9 liberals that do what they want . Word of advice......don't piss off the people in the office. Most of them are on our side. The judges dragging their feet pisses them off too. I have 2 personal friends in that office. One is a Detective who does the permit applications. I am friends also with the judge who retired. Now the judges there could care less how long anything takes. They all suck.

BDinPutnam and Celt like this.
  24. Celt

Celt .308 Win

it took 6 months when I got sportsman..... then when I added a pistol after that they changed it to "sportsperson" (fucking liberals).
    applied twice for unrestricted and denied twice in spite of clean record and numerous certifications.

25. TopShot

TopShot .45 acp

@garyv350, I never had the honor of meeting judge Emmet Murphy.
    He use to shoot at the Ardsley Pistol Range that I belonged to but could never seem to catch him.
    Although I do know judges that knew him and said he was quite the character.
    I too know some of the Westchester cops that work there but I don't ask for favors.
    If shit hit the fan the judges there would be brought up on the carpet.
    They are not all that powerful, they just think they are.

@MikeGrad, Do not go in and harass, go in and ask for help.

BDinPutnam likes this.
  26. Celt

Celt .308 Win

There was a lady named Margie that worked there and she was a very nice lady, but havent added a pistol in years now so i dont know if she retired or not.

27. garyv350

garyv350 .40 S&W

Margieis the assistant ounty clerk. She's there. Probably 2 or 3 more years. Her hands are tied too. It's all on the judges.

28. MikeGrad

MikeGrad .45 acp

I would never harass, just politely ask if they could find out the status, if its taking longer than normal, and if they could help move it along. I may go tomorrow, will reply back here with the result if i do.