Safe Act Update, Pistol Permit Recertification Deadline Approaching !

Discussion in 'Handguns - Pistols & Revolvers' started by GOYABEAN, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .44 mag

But I thought most of y'll aren' going to recirtify becaus this whole thing has been getting so much backlash, how do you think they would pass another law just to add a fee (pretty sure if they thought they could have done that the first time they would have)

Willjr75 likes this.
  2. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

In my opinion based on logic, if they thought they could have without backlash they would have. It will come eventually. Baby steps. Let's get them used to recertifying first. Once they are used to that we will impose a tiny handling fee. Once that becomes the norm, we'll change it to a larger fee.

MoMan, Catskillkid and Robin like this.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer 6.5 Creedmoor

Annie Rabbit, Orange County clerk. She, along with undersheriff Ken Jones held a town hall at our club about three months ago. Annie specifically stated there is no fee now, but just wait until the next renewal date, you can guaranty there will be a fee.

MoMan likes this.
  4. MoMan

MoMan 6.5 Creedmoor

:confused:<<<<<< my surprised face!

masterswimmer likes this.
  5. nortatoga

nortatoga 6.5 Creedmoor Monthly Shot Winner

Don't include me in *y'll* I've said all along this part of the Safe-Act was never going away even if the SCOTUS threw out most of the rest of it!!

And I am also going to do it online as soon as an amendment for a new pistol comes!

MoMan and Edwardteach72 like this.
  6. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .44 mag

So February 1st 2018, or February 2nd 2018 or what next renewal?

7. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

It's called smoke and mirrors, ask any SUNY student about fees and fees and fees that get heaped onto the tuition bill. They didn't put it in the original bill in part to make the bill look less toxic. The camels nose is under the tent and up our asses.

In case you were wondering, I don't trust the sleazy sums of britches any more than I'd kiss a rattle snake.

MoMan, Robin and Edwardteach72 like this.
  8. masterswimmer

I can't believe I'm responding to this post, but for the record, she didn't time stamp the comment. Just that the next renewal would include a fee.

9. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .44 mag

Right but after January 31 2018 renewals, the next ones would be February 1st 2018, oh the ones after that are the 2nd and so on

10. spat

spat .308 Win

For everyone who renews on the 31st, the next renewal is Jan 31st 2023. I assume that's what she was suggesting.

MoMan, masterswimmer and nortatoga like this.
  11. nortatoga

nortatoga 6.5 Creedmoor Monthly Shot Winner

My guess would be after the first 5 year cycle? Which I thought about to late, It may have been better to have done the re-cert last year ? Be ahead of the cycle? Who knows? But I do think at some point there will be a fee!

MoMan likes this.
  12. fartgamer

fartgamer .357 mag

yep, even free states charge a fee for renewals.

I think Indiana issues for life though once you pay to apply.

13. Jsmegs77

Jsmegs77 .45 acp

I pay the fees for my free-state permits. But they don't require me to have a permit to own or handle or keep such things in my house, nor is confiscation of all of my firearms a threat hanging over my head if I don't renew.

Seems like apples and oranges, to me.

spat, MoMan and Edwardteach72 like this.
  14. Bob

Bob .357 mag

Likewise. And none of my other permits are subject to the whims of a judge, nor did they take 6-18 months to be issued.

Edwardteach72 and MoMan like this.
  15. MilesTeg

MilesTeg .308 Win U.S. Military

I think they will use the backlog of paper renewals to justify the added fee. Of course this will apply to any renewal you can't discriminate after all.

MoMan likes this.
  16. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

Or they might charge a fee for paper only at first.

17. Catskillkid

Catskillkid .308 Win

That would be my guess too. Try to encourage everyone to do it online to save them time/money. Mark my words, though, they'll be a fee at some point. Probably not that bad and comparable to other states at first but will get worse over time.

As @Bob stated above, paying a small fee every five years for a CCL isn't that big of deal in my opinion...if I trusted this state...which I don't. It would be one thing if it was just a CCL like other states have with your guns and serial numbers unlisted (plausible deniability if the gestapo knocks on your door) but with the way we have to list every gun we own along with the fact if you permit is revoked ALL guns (long and hand) get confiscated concerns me. Plus mere accusations or the whim of a judge can get you revoked so...yeah, not looking forward to this at all.

MoMan likes this.
  18. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

When applying for this BS are you guys requesting the public records exemption? ....

Are you requesting to have information concerning your firearms license recertification exempt from public record? Yes
    4. I have reason to believe that I may be subject to unwarranted harassment upon disclosure.

I am saying to prevent unwarranted harassment. That should be the standard most people
    use right?

Thanks!

S&W Fan, masterswimmer and Jsmegs77 like this.
  19. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil .338 Win Mag

20. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

So guys are you asking to have the recertification excluded from public records?
    It should be done to prevent unwanted harassment.
    I don't see a reason why someone would not want this excluded, do you?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    rpf427 likes this.
  21. Pedro

Pedro 9mm

Meketrefe, I checked unwarranted harassment.
    Pedro.

meketrefe likes this.
  22. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .44 mag

23. libertysnake

libertysnake .44 mag

That's what I put down, without elaborating -- and my recert went through in under 5 minutes. Maybe less.

It's also a true answer, by far. I've had people harass me for being an owner / supporter of firearms before. Both online and in person. So it is absolutely true, and none of us should even hesitate to put down a truth like that.

spat and meketrefe like this.
  24. Bananabandit

Bananabandit .308 Win

Since I wasnt around you female intimate cleaning devices...I almost forgot about it. Saw it on the news, luckily.

sooo uhhh who wants to pay for my moving truck?

MoMan likes this.
  25. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

Talking like a free man!

I agree. Thanks!

wizrd likes this.
  26. rpf427

rpf427 .357 mag

Did it today. Biggest pain in the ass was typing in all the firearm info. Also checked excluded for unwanted harassment, with no explanation. Went right through, like Libertysnake. Put it off as long as I could, so finally bit the bullet.
    Now FUAC can bite my bag.

27. libertysnake

libertysnake .44 mag

When I called NYSP, the officer I spoke to more or less told me that reason #4 is sufficient for them, and they weren't giving people a hard time about it. It's only if you check the box for a reason like "my life or the life of my spouse is in danger" that it requires really a more specific answer.

However, this was ... a while back, at least a year ago, when I filled my exemption on paper before trying to re-file it again with the recert. Whenever I see the question, I always file it identically going forward so I won't have any questions like "why didn't you check it off here?" I always check it off. If I get questions / they want more of a reason, I'll tell the truth. Namely, that people have harassed me both publicly and privately for being a firearms owner. I'd be surprised if someone on this board had not experienced such treatment at some point in their lives -- whether at a dinner table, on Facebook, or otherwise.

meketrefe likes this.
  28. meketrefe

meketrefe .308 Win

The question is why would anyone want to have their private choices be published?
    Is there like a Christians, Muslims or Native Americans, Whites, blacks, etc... public record for everyone to see?
    I mean, Aside of the demographics data that some people collect based on optional surveys but not really mandatory.
    Like the 2A, it is all based on pretty fundamental rights.

...This whole thing is just such a joke and a waste of time and money.

29. Deplorable Me

Deplorable Me .338 Win Mag

30. libertysnake

libertysnake .44 mag

It's dangerous is what it is. If someone breaks into my house because they know I have AKs and pistols, then whose fault is it? Is it my fault, or is it the fault of the government that recklessly published that information with no factual basis for why it's necessary to do so? I say the latter.

wizrd and meketrefe like this.
  31. masterswimmer

My bitching is with the way the default assumption is with the opt-out question. IMO there should be no reason to opt-out. The default should be opt-out and the question should read, 'Check here if you'd LIKE your handgun permit information released publicly'. FUAC

Darth, wizrd, MoMan and 5 others like this.