Anyone have any training lined up for end of summer/fall?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Training & Competition' started by speedkills27, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Celt

Celt 6.5 Creedmoor

Sure thing pod, that would be cool.

Podmonkey likes this.
  2. PinkPanther

PinkPanther .40 S&W

I've been taking a bunch of classes with @OnSight Firearms Training this year. I'm signed up for 3 more for this year. They kick ass. They just hosted Steve Fisher this past weekend. That was an awesome class. @OnSight Firearms Training has some kick ass stuff going on. @ChrisFry of MDTS is also a PHENOMENAL instructor. I've taken 2 classes with him and want to take more but our schedules never match up.

Steve Fisher knows his shit. You'll walk away with your mind blown.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Celt and Podmonkey like this.
  3. We JUST hosted Steve Fisher here last weekend. Sat & Sun Aug 5 and 6th at Blue Mountain Sportsmans Center in Northern Westchester.

PinkPanther and Celt like this.
  4. We have Todd Moriarty, a Sig Sauer Acadmeny full time senior instructor coming down October 29, 2017 for a guest instructor spot, teaching Pistol.
    If you want to get a taste of the Sig Academy without the hassle of travel, hotel, gas costs, etc. this is a great opportunity to see how thier instructors teach and what you can expect to learn up there.

Todd Moriarty has been in Law Enforcement since 1995 and has worked for a small community as well as larger city throughout his career. Todd’s career has been primarily in uniform patrol, to include K-9 and SWAT. He was an assistant team leader of his former department’s Special Reaction Team. Todd also worked one of the first SWAT dogs in the area with his K-9 Rony. Todd moved from Patrol to his departments Firearms training (FTU) FTU members had to be certified to instruct all levels of use of force to include: defensive tactics, handgun, rifle, shotgun, patrol tactics and SWAT tactics. He moved onto being the senior instructor in the FTU before moving on to Sig Sauer Academy as a senior instructor. Todd holds several instructor level certifications in firearms and tactical instruction. Todd has a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice. He is also an active member of International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms instructors (IALEFI), and the National Tactical Offices association (NTOA).

Class info is here:
    Defensive Pistol with Todd Moriarty

Great opportunity to get some serious rounds downrange from a seasoned pro.

PinkPanther, Celt and togmaster like this.
  5. SWS

SWS .177 BB

I'll be in Chris Fry's pistol class tomorrow, onsights carbine class on the 20th and onsights pistol class on Sept 9th.

I doubt I'll get any more in but I do what I can.

Shooting from a bench is 1 thing....actually doing cool shit is another.

Celt and speedkills27 like this.
  6. speedkills27

speedkills27 .357 mag

DAMN! I'll have to pay more attention

7. yeah man, don't sleep on the local guys. There's several great companies in the NY area.

PinkPanther, Celt and speedkills27 like this.
  8. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

speedkills27, I second Onsight Firearms Training.
    I've done a few classes with them and just booked another.
    You can't go wrong with Ben, Scott or Rae.
    Their The Best !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    speedkills27 and PinkPanther like this.
  9. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

togmaster, Sig Sauer Academy.
    What's taking you so long ?
    You should be going up there once a year.

togmaster likes this.
  10. MilesTeg

MilesTeg 6.5 Creedmoor U.S. Military

I want to do some more training. I've never taken any sort of shooting instruction outside of the military. I really want to take classes with Chris fry but our schedules never seem to match up. Which is too bad he's practically in my back yard. I don't know of any other training operations in the upstate area. If anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears.

Podmonkey likes this.
  11. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

MilesTeg, Chris is very good.
    I took 2 classes with him but there are others.
    Where do you live ?

12. MilesTeg

Madison county. I work in Utica so it's a shame that I haven't had a class with Chris yet. It's about an equal drive for from Utica to Syracuse.

13. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

MilesTeg, you didn't mention if you wanted shotgun, rifle or pistol training.
    I recently searched training in your area for my son and I to attend as he lives in Colonie, a suburb of Albany.
    You should check out Shooters Haven Firearm Training, they are in East Syracuse.
    Also Northeast Firearms Training in Cobbleskill, NY.
    Northeast Firearm Training may be a long ride for you but what the hell I drive 4 hours to
    SiG Sauer Academy once a year and have driven 2 hours to the end of Long Island to train with Chris Fry.

14. MilesTeg

I hear you I'm not opposed to driving to get good training. Time has been a limiting factor lately and that's the biggest obstacle. As far as type of training I'm primarily looking for pistols. I'm open to the other training but pistols are my primary home defense because I can't have a proper AR in this state.

I probably will end up driving to sig academy in the future. I have friends in the maple syrup community that I could stay with.

I have never heard of the guys from east Syracuse I will have to look into them more.

I shoot in a defensive pistol league in the summer and usually place in the top spots. My big issue is with precision. I seem to do really well when under pressure and moving. Standing still and punching holes in paper my groups are terrible. So I attribute it to lack of fundamentals or technique.

15. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

MilesTeg, Me Too !
    Practice, Practice, Practice.

Podmonkey likes this.
  16. misunderestimated

misunderestimated .45 acp

I cant tell you how many folks tells me and then next thing you know another year has passed, Find a buddy, Sign up and just do it! Life is short and your path thru it can change over night. GO FOR IT

Podmonkey, togmaster and MilesTeg like this.
  17. misunderestimated

I Plan on re-certifiying my Glock Advanced Armorers certification this fall Its a 2 day course . I love getting educated and challenging my mind to allow more information to come in,

Try it you'll enjoy it

18. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

misunderestimated, I did the 1 day Armorers course with Cobb in NJ a few years back, very informative.
    I would love to do the 2 day course in Smyrna, Georgia as I understand there is a factory tour at the end.

19. PinkPanther

PinkPanther .40 S&W

@MilesTeg I would find a weekend this summer when @OnSight Firearms Training is doing a classes on both Saturday and Sunday. Take the drive down friday night, take both classes and head back up Sunday night. They are well worth the drive and they always have classes going on.

MilesTeg and TopShot like this.
  20. MilesTeg

I do but the problem I'm no now is I'm not sure if I'm reinforcing bad habits or improving good ones.

I have been searching for a shooting buddy in the area to push each other but have yet to have any luck. I think a range session with someone who knows more than me would probably help a lot. Just to smack me upside the head and tell me I'm being dumb.

Podmonkey likes this.
  21. misunderestimated

This fall there is one in Ct about a 2 hour drive from Rockland county NY, I plan on attending with a shooting buddy, Just waiting to get the kids back off to college before I put another charge on the credit card.
    I was signed up for one in NJ in May and I had to cancel because I had to have a stent installed.

22. Podmonkey

Podmonkey .338 Win Mag Monthly Shot Winner U.S. Military

I am in the exact same boat. That's why I scheduled with OnSite for the Pittsburg class. As an Artillery guy I didn't exactly receive the most comprehensive small arms training. I just hope my (somewhat less now) fat ass can keep up!

MilesTeg likes this.
  23. MilesTeg

Ya I was a fly boy so not the best training. I shot lights out with my rifle but that's because my dad use to buy a brick of 22 for me a week. I was technically suppose to only carry a pistol , which I never qualified with. But when ever I went in to harms way I would convince the armor to give me a rifle also. I would carry a rifle while preflighting everyone thought I was crazy but if I ever needed to defend myself I was ready and that's all that counts.

Back to the original topic. I really hope to find some training close to home. I don't know much about the guys in Rochester. They seem to run classes at a more regular schedule.

Podmonkey likes this.
  24. Bob

Bob .45 acp

Save yourself the drive. Watch the schedule at MDTS. You'll probably find a closer class, and it'll be higher quality.

25. I second that. Chris Fry / MDTS is top notch. You will not be disappointed.

PinkPanther likes this.
  26. togmaster

togmaster .308 Win

Actually have medical training lined up this month. Looking forward to it.

27. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

Togmaster, who do you have that with ?

28. speedkills27

speedkills27 .357 mag

I can't speak for togmaster but I took civilian response to trauma class with EMS Tactical Group hosted out of Rochester personal defense facility. It was well put together and informative, with emphasis on tourniquets and bleeding control. The class was designed around a mass shooting/casualty incident and how to respond as a civilian.

PinkPanther likes this.
  29. TopShot

TopShot .38 Special

speedkills27, thanks I'll have to check them out.

30. togmaster

togmaster .308 Win