Constitutional Convention

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Doc8404, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Doc8404

Doc8404 .308 Win

But Cuomo wants YES

Steal2B likes this.
  2. redtail

redtail .357 mag

THIS

3. redtail

redtail .357 mag

I think you can find the answers here .

faq.html

4. Doc8404

Doc8404 .308 Win

5. Truebeliever

Truebeliever .40 S&W

It has misleading information.

It says that NYS could not break a contract due to a clause in the US constitution so they could not effect pensions. And that the unions are using a scare tactic.

That is a misleading statement. States without the state constitutional pension protection have changed their pension systems on those employees. One year short of a pension, opps, we are changing the rules and you don’t get one or you have to work another 10 years.

This federal protection is as valid as that lifetime gun permit many paid for. It didn’t stop the state of New York breaking that contract did it?

Steal2B and 1911guy like this.
  6. Shadow2

Shadow2 .357 mag

Cannot be infringed ... almost comical reading it in the NYS code

redtail, masterswimmer and Willjr75 like this.
  7. pjzwtl

pjzwtl .357 mag

"Delegates are elected 3 per Senate district, an additional 15 are elected at large. There are 63 Senate districts 34 to 35 of them lean right."

The yellow text from the FAQ page worries me a bit.

8. Saltwater60

Saltwater60 .308 Win

Just the democrats taking orders from cuomo. I'm sure 80% of the republicans do too.

Karpteach likes this.
  9. GOPerfect

GOPerfect .308 Win LEO / LEA

This is a bad idea right now. Anyone who thinks different has no clue what this can AND will do to the State. Yeah, go ahead, vote for it, I will come back and say, "See, I told you so!"

Foolish to want this.

holdover, wizrd and masterswimmer like this.
  10. spat

spat .308 Win

The faster the left gets their way in this state the sooner the whole thing collapses and we can start over. I honestly don't see another way out for us.

Drinkthekoolaid likes this.
  11. pjzwtl

pjzwtl .357 mag

The 15 at large delegates (elected by state wide vote) kind of throws any wishful thinking about the delegate math out the window. We have a hard enough time overcoming the NYC metro vote for 1 statewide election now times that by 15?
    I like the concept but I don’t like the odds of this going the wrong way

MothMan likes this.
  12. stuck in ny

stuck in ny .44 mag

I read the stuff in my dads csea newsletter and they are dead set against it. Who exactly wants this convention, 'cause it seems to me it is viewed with suspicion on both right and left?

13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer 6.5 Creedmoor

I don't like the odds of it going the RIGHT way. The odds of it going the wrong way are way too high.

holdover and Karpteach like this.
  14. pjzwtl

pjzwtl .357 mag

Ok .. same thing

15. stuck in ny

stuck in ny .44 mag

I read the stuff in my dads csea newsletter and they are dead set against it. Who exactly wants this convention, 'cause it seems to me it is viewed with suspicion on both right and left?

16. dsdmmat

dsdmmat Donut Master Monthly Shot Winner

The vote on a constitutional convention is required every 20 years.

17. stuck in ny

stuck in ny .44 mag

I mean't who would want a "yes" vote result.

18. pjzwtl

pjzwtl .357 mag

Hell I would if I had a guarantee the right delegates were selected.

19. stuck in ny

stuck in ny .44 mag

They would either be downstaters or downstate bought.

Doc8404 likes this.
  20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer 6.5 Creedmoor

Ding Ding freaking Ding. We haaaave a winner. But therein lies the problem here in good ole NYistan. We ain't ever gonna get the right delegates just as we ain't ever gonna get the right guvnah, as long as NYShityy is part of New Amsterdam.

21. JRtraderny

JRtraderny .38 Special

And this is why I keep telling everyone the SAFE act isn't a 2nd amendment issue , it's a civil rights issue. They've been fighting it in all the wrong ways............................................

Phazer likes this.
  22. speedkills27

speedkills27 .357 mag

open the state constitution so downstate liberals can alter it as they see fit??!!? I hope no ones fooling themselves into thinking that this would be good in anyway, for anyone but NYC

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Willjr75 likes this.
  23. vanderblack

vanderblack .45 acp

The unions dnt want it because the outcome could result in removing federal protection on contracts and pensions. As stated earlier, an employee is a year from retirement or even retired and collecting and boom, gone. Like or dislike unions, they do provide a balance and prevent the state and big business from dictating salaries and benefits. A convention also opens the door to letting states suggest changes to the constitution. With attacks on freedom of speech, freedom of the press, second amendment, etc, there is a huge risk if the vote is in favor of convention. 38 states must vote in favor of a convention for one to be held. 38 state conventions must ratify changes proposed (amendments).

This convention has been proposed by the left in an attempt to undermine Trump by blocking his ability to get things done by making changing to the constitution. Considering how close the election was, I not willing to take a chance on a convention. Populated with left wingers, I can only imagine the damage they would cause.

24. vanderblack

vanderblack .45 acp

25. Madmallard

Madmallard .357 mag

26. Phazer

Phazer .308 Win

On a federal level, this article is completely inaccurate and utterly misrepresents the Article V Convention of States.

Article V of the United States Constitution reads:
    The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Article V does not allow for calling a "Constitutional Convention!" It only allows two thirds of the state legislatures to "call a Convention for proposing Amendments."

Any proposed amendments that made it out of the "convention for proposing amendments" would require ratification by three fourths of the states. So, 38 states would have ratify any proposed amendments. How does that allow a runaway convention? It does not.

At this point in time, an Article V Convention of States is probably the only way for the people to take control of our runaway government:

Convention of States
    Capture.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  27. holdover

holdover 6.5 Creedmoor LEO / LEA U.S. Military

No way, nothing good can come of this.

wizrd likes this.