Updated Standing of H.R. 38

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Edwardteach72, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

That' What I figured, which goes even more into the chances of getting 60 yes votes in the Senate (if they hold a vote at all) is going to pretty much be impossible

2. zerohedge

zerohedge 22lr

Norththumberland County is another. Got mine in 15 mins. 12 mins was waiting for the laminator to heat up.

Also, you can get a NH non-resident permit without having a permit in another state.

3. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

Ok so you have a restricted NY license and they have you your PA LTCF?

4. Acer-m14

Acer-m14 .308 Win

I seen on my facebook from a gun group post .. now to find it again .. basicly .. its your home permit .. so if you have a non res FL or UT ect .. not your home state .. .. this fkin crap is so colluded its sicking ... how did fix the nics help that girl on the pier .. FK all this shit .. got post from Dana from NRA NICS is not a 2A infringement . WTF .. ..

5. zerohedge

zerohedge 22lr

Exactly! They had no problem with it saying Hunting and Target. They mentioned it and said, but it's still a NY concealed carry so here is your PA LTC! Only $20 for 5 years, but you need to go in person to apply.

Nevertheless, NH passed a law last year that no longer requires you to have a home state permit. You literally skip those questions on the application form now. $100 for 4 years, apply by mail. So NY restrictions never come into the equation and you'll receive a NH unrestricted concealed carry. You could then presumably use that to pickup other non-resident permits that might otherwise not issue if you had NY restrictions.

Celt likes this.
  6. Celt

Celt .308 Win

I wonder if it would then open up the door for lawsuits? Hypothetically , a store owner puts up a sign stating "no guns allowed" and that sign is now backed by the force of law. A citizen goes into the store for the purpose of Commerce, subsequently an armed assailant enters the store and injures the pedestrian. Would that citizen now have the right to Sue the store owner and/or the government for forcing him to be unarmed and unable to defend himself against an armed assailant?

Defilade likes this.
  7. Celt

Celt .308 Win

Correct, But I'm betting on the demoncrats filibustering.

8. Celt

Celt .308 Win

Fyi, Bloomberg is dumping 25 million dollars to oppose this in the senate. It's insane that someone can have that much disposable income to influence the will of the people, how the hell is that allowed?

FrankenCub, Defilade and camper4lyfe like this.
  9. Willjr75

Willjr75 .338 Win Mag U.S. Military

I'm not informed on filibusters. How long can it go on for? Can it be waited out? Does the bill die if it goes on past a certain time limit?

10. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

They can last as long as the person holding it follows specific rules, I believe one lasted something like 20 fucking hours

11. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

12. Willjr75

So then what's the problem? Wait it out!

MilesTeg likes this.
  13. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

Now I could be wrong but if there is a filibuster that forces the need for a supermajority to pass anything

14. MilesTeg

MilesTeg 6.5 Creedmoor U.S. Military

That would mean our representatives would actually have to do something..... not a likely scenario!

Could you imagine our forefathers looking at something like that. They would be aghast that they wouldn't wait 24 hours to do the right thing.

15. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

So I lied I did some googling and a filibuster doesn't force the need for a super majority

Willjr75 likes this.
  16. Willjr75

But why need a supermajority? Just bring your sandwich and a sleeping bag and wait it out if you don't have the supermajority?

Edwardteach72 likes this.
  17. Celt

Celt .308 Win

Id like to remain optimistic, maybe we will be surprised.

Greywolf224 and kev74 like this.
  18. Edwardteach72

Edwardteach72 .357 mag

Still won't pass but guess a supermajority is needed if the pres. Vetoes a bill

19. MilesTeg

MilesTeg 6.5 Creedmoor U.S. Military

Hell I would be ok with them ordering catering in! fucking bunch of pansies we have representing us! Where's the reset button again?

20. 1911guy

1911guy .357 mag U.S. Military

Budget/tax bills only require 51. Other bills require 60 to avoid a filibuster.

21. Phazer

Phazer .308 Win

Ummm...ummm...ummm...most states do not require enumeration of non-NFA items on any permits. In the real United States, you purchase a pistol just like a rifle: You pick it out, you fill out your forms, you get a NICS check, you pay, and you take it home (probably that day in most states or in Florida if you have a concealed carry permit, or in 3 days if you don't have a concealed permit).

Buying non-NFA firearms has nothing to do with permitting, it simply has to do with being able to pass a NICS check.

Look a a Florida permit. There is nothing on the back except the wording:
    Direct Inquiries To:
    Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
    Division of Licensing, P.O. Box 6687
    Tallahassee, FL 32314-6687
    850/245-5691​

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  22. fartgamer

fartgamer .357 mag

There’s no way they’re going to allow you to carry in your home state with an oos permit/license, especially NY.

Nanook145 and Phazer like this.
  23. Phazer

Phazer .308 Win

You can bet on that.

There will be language similar to:
    "Individuals carrying concealed firearms within the jurisdiction of their home residence must comply with all licensing and permitting requirements of that jurisdiction."

Frankly, however, I think that would open the possibility for an "equal protection" suit since a person from out of state could carry in my town but I cannot, even though I reside here and pay taxes here. THAT would be discriminatory against me as a local resident in a New York township.

24. Greywolf224

Greywolf224 6.5 Creedmoor

So what happens if I am a resident of New York state but want to carry outside of my jurisdiction?

25. Willjr75

As written in it's current form it says that all you need is a license from A state. It makes no mention of needing one from your home state.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20171204/BILLS-115HR38-RCP115-45.xml

a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person, and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm

That's may change or may not or more than likely will not pass at all.

26. ArmedCorgi

ArmedCorgi .308 Win

This whole bill is and should be a matter of equal protection. IMO, if this is how it needs to be done, the feds should completely bring the states to heel on "keep and bear, shall not be infringed". The BoR exists for a reason and it's not for the states to trample on. Rights should only be expanded not restricted.

27. Greywolf224

Greywolf224 6.5 Creedmoor

I am with you wholeheartedly on this. But do you really think this could ever happen?

Look at how local state governments now avoid following the law when it comes to the sanctuary cities.

Should by some miracle this ever pass, each states government will impose their own their own opinion on how they will enforce it.

At 52 years of age, I don’t see me ever enjoying the fruits of this labor.

28. livingston

livingston .338 Win Mag

We can say all we want about the NICS bill ... There is a clamor out in liberal land about fixing it ... If they don't vote on it and pass then they have to drag their sorry asses home and explain why ... Could be enough to get us the needed votes ...

kev74, Nanook145 and Willjr75 like this.
  29. zerohedge

zerohedge 22lr

You have two mistakes in your spread sheet. In 2013 Harkin voted NO. That doesn't change your 2017 prediction. However, Warner - VA voted YES in 2013. That brings it to 59.

Casey - PA (D) did vote NO to Concealed Carry Reciprocity in 2013. However, he has Rating of A from the NRA and in 2009 he voted YES and spoke in favor of Concealed Carry Reciprocity in 2009. If he could be convinced to vote YES again, that is 60 based on your spreadsheet.
    U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 111th Congress - 1st Session

30. zerohedge

zerohedge 22lr

It looks like it all depends on Gardner - CO (R), Sasse - NE (R), and Casey - PA (D). Any of these three could swing the other direction. Everyone else is a Sponsor/Co-Sponsor and/or has a consistent record of voting for Concealed Carry Reciprocity in the past. Also, since Franken - MN (D) just resigned (also a member of the Judiciary, not sure how long it'll take to fill his (D) replacement.